Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Chelsea keeper refuses to be subbed what do you do as the manager?

Go all out Fergie or put an arm round his shoulder?

• Transfer him

Votes: 95 47.7%
  • Keep faith in the young man

Votes: 5 2.5%
  • Put him on the bench

Votes: 99 49.7%

• Total voters

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
What i would have done was have a chat with the GK before the game and explain the plan of bringing someone else on should their be a penalty shootout.

Forewarned is forarmed and all that.

Difficult to know what to do now though. Sarri is surely not going to hold on to his job after this.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
Chat or no chat - if the Manager says you're off, you're off.

The whole 'going mental' thing by Sarri clearly showed he was being mugged off - now he says it was nothing?

If I was Sarri I'd have walked onto the pitch and frogmarched him off like a naughty schoolboy, then kicked his arse all the way down the tunnel. He's losing his job anyway so at least go out with the media equivalent of some sparklers on a cake. Send a message to your next team....

Albion my Albion

NSC Patron
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Hire a Columbian hit man to take him out right there. That would teach the rest of the side to question a managerial decision.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Some goon on SSN was trying to defend him by saying he's 'a young professional footballer' and someone who 'really wanted to play in the final'.

FFS, that's the type of thing they teach you at Under 8s! Do as your manager says, don't argue back and, basically, don't be a tw@t.

Get rid, pronto. The club's stock is falling game by game. Does the transfer ban stretch to mangers? :lol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
What i would have done was have a chat with the GK before the game and explain the plan of bringing someone else on should their be a penalty shootout.

Forewarned is forarmed and all that.

Fair enough suggestion if it was planned. Pretty sure it wasn’t though, and they were only doing it because of Kepa’s hamstring injury.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I could appreciate him not wanting to come off after keeping a clean sheet over 120 mins at Wembley with a chance to be a shootout hero. I could even understand if he'd gone over to the bench to protest and ask to stay on. But him standing there, not budging whilst the entire team did nothing? Wow. What an absolute bunch of dick heads the lot of them.

I'm so glad they lost after that.

I would start him away against Fulham on Sunday, then sub him after 5 minutes.

Invicta

NSC Patron
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Surely the referee should have forced Kepa to leave the pitch after the decision to substitute him had been made? Refusing the ref's order would then have meant a red card.

Exactly , the paperwork was done so the substitution should have been enforced. The referee was spineless like the rest of the Chelsea players.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Personally think it’s Lampard’s job - no pressure for a while as he won’t be able to strengthen, loved by the fans.....

I think Lampard would be bonkers to go there. He's a new manager and he'd have to stamp his authority on players who are, seemingly, out of control. And he has to do that without the threat of being able to transfer them out. Meanwhile, in the background, the most trigger-happy owner in the PL is getting itchy.

Maybe it's a job for an old sweat wanting one more big payday but not for a young manager looking to make his name.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Law 3 states that if the player refuses to leave then play continues. So the referee was following the rules.

http://www.thefa.com/football-rules-governance/lawsandrules/laws/football-11-11/law-3---the-players

Yep, law is crystal clear, the ref has no power to either enforce a player to leave to be subbed, or punish a player refusing to leave to be subbed.

The only thing Moss was probably guilty of was giving too much time to the incident. Once the keeper refused to go he should have restarted the game.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
What was the Chelsea captain doing through all of this?

(The fact that I don't even know who that is would suggest I've not been following this closely)

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
What was the Chelsea captain doing through all of this?

(The fact that I don't even know who that is would suggest I've not been following this closely)

Cesar Azpilicueta - "I was on the other side of the pitch, so I had no idea what was happening".

Bottled it. David Luiz told him to respect the manager, which he did not. There are no leaders in the Chelsea team, or the Chelsea dugout. After the referee spoke with Kepa, and then with Sarri, he should have gone over, told the keeper he was coming off and booked him for timewasting. Had he continued to behave as he was, a second yellow should have been threatened and then brandished. Total disrespect.

But you can't sack the man, he cost £71million in the summer and is one of the best goalkeepers in the world.

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
I know I am wrong because I dont understand it but how is 3.75 = 2.75/1 is it because it includes the return bet? Edit optimist has confirmed that sorry for the confusion. No surprise that its just making the odds sound better than they really are.

3.75 = 2.75/1 because the former (decimal odds) include the stake.

As such, the number is always above one. And, simply, the higher the number, the better the odds.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I could appreciate him not wanting to come off after keeping a clean sheet over 120 mins at Wembley with a chance to be a shootout hero. I could even understand if he'd gone over to the bench to protest and ask to stay on. But him standing there, not budging whilst the entire team did nothing? Wow. What an absolute bunch of dick heads the lot of them.

I'm so glad they lost after that.

I would start him away against Fulham on Sunday, then sub him after 5 minutes.

What makes you think he would accept being subbed ...bench him ..given they have a 2 years transfer ban transfer listing him would be a bit daft ..but he can be made second string for the rest of the season.

Agreed a bunch of dickheads.....or more like a bunch of individual dickheads ..who don't really care about their football club

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here