Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Best place to manage a game.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I noticed the rugby managers all had boxes up in the stands to watch the games tactics. In football the manager stands on the touchline.
Does a football manager have 'eyes' up in the stand to pass down info?
Why stand somewhere where you cant really see the game?
I'm Upper East and enjoy watching the overlaps and players changing wings, but in the lower tiers you don't get to see all of this.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Yes Ben Roberts and some analysts sit up on WSU gantry

Acker79

NSC Patreon
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
There have been managers in the past who sit in the stands, at least for the first half. I think there is a sense of wanting to be pitch side to pass on instructions directly (it's quicker than passing the message onto to someone else in the technical area to pass on to the player) and less prone to errors as people try to remember all the details of the message they are passing on.

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
There have been managers in the past who sit in the stands, at least for the first half. I think there is a sense of wanting to be pitch side to pass on instructions directly (it's quicker than passing the message onto to someone else in the technical area to pass on to the player) and less prone to errors as people try to remember all the details of the message they are passing on.

I think Steve Coppell used to do this ( a bit tricky at Withdean though)

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I've often wondered about this. You can see so much more of what is going on from up in a good position in the stand than you can from ground level at pitch side. But that seems to be the way all managers do it. I'm sure they know much more about it than me, but I'm still mystified by it.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I reckon in 2078 the managers will be whizzing around 20ft above the pitch sitting on drones, looking down and shouting orders. :lolol:

Liverpools would be a stolen, hotwired drone. Palaces would be a CaraDrone - towed by a smaller drone, and ours would have comedy feathered wings.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I am a great believer in the manager being visible to his players, stood on the edge of the technical area, as per Chris Hughton, dressed in a suit too, and not baggy tracksuit bottoms. Ne can shout instructions and ecouragememnt, and l think it all helps to inspire the team.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here