[Travel] Learning a new language

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Hola tres cervezas por favor gracias buenas noches

Learnt this off by heart when I went a few years back

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
I am living in Saudi Arabia at the moment and am learning Arabic! Very difficult and so frustrating. I am just A1 (more A0) level. The only person I speak Arabic to is my dry cleaner. I always carry a notebook and make him repeat things to me and write down what I hear. When I have done some shopping I take it in and ask the name in Arabic. I took in a can of chick peas and said "Arabika?" and he says "Humus" and I say yeah and point again at the tin and he says "Humus". I guess humus is chick peas in Arabic haha... well it is for me. These realistic situational learning scenarios are very motivating and practical. My dry cleaner Arabic is probably A2 :)

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I am living in Saudi Arabia at the moment and am learning Arabic! Very difficult and so frustrating. I am just A1 (more A0) level. The only person I speak Arabic to is my dry cleaner. I always carry a notebook and make him repeat things to me and write down what I hear. When I have done some shopping I take it in and ask the name in Arabic. I took in a can of chick peas and said "Arabika?" and he says "Humus" and I say yeah and point again at the tin and he says "Humus". I guess humus is chick peas in Arabic haha... well it is for me. These realistic situational learning scenarios are very motivating and practical. My dry cleaner Arabic is probably A2 :)

It is. That's why it's a bit odd when places sell "hummus" that doesn't contain chickpeas.

basque seagull

Oct 21, 2012
That show looks so Spanish. That's the problem with Spanish TV; so much of it's crap. Lot's of good films though.

Don't suppose you have any recommendations for series?

Hahaha.... No, I don't watch it.... Like something out of the 1970s. I think ideally for series better a series made in Spanish originally. La casa de papel has had good reviews. Also on Channel 4 they were airing a Spanish series that was meant to be quite good: Vis a vis (original title), Locked up in English and it is meant to be good.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Hahaha.... No, I don't watch it.... Like something out of the 1970s. I think ideally for series better a series made in Spanish originally. La casa de papel has had good reviews. Also on Channel 4 they were airing a Spanish series that was meant to be quite good: Vis a vis (original title), Locked up in English and it is meant to be good.

La Casa de Papel is on my list. I'll check out Vis a vis too. Cheers.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
A Slovenian friend of mine learned English from watching On the Buses. I shudder to think what his early attempts to speak it were like.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The Complete Spanish podcast is by far the best method I've found so far as it explains how it all works and where it's derived from, rather than memorization.

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
Same, I found classes not too helpful. Watching quiz shows is a help. I've watched the German equivalent of the chase on ARD plus the one that now comes on at 18.00 in it's place. Plus listening to announcements on trains & trams helps. I too have a random notebook for phrases learnt. Remembering them perfectly and into context is the challenge.

Mastering German grammar is a nightmare. Verb placement in the sentence is slowly making sense. It's not an easy language to learn, but its slowly coming into place. I get by, probably around the A2 level now. My worst moment occurred when feeding the cat of a friend who was away for a few days. A neighbour politely enquired if she could assist me. (being nosy as to why I was in the building) My verb placement & rest of the answer was perfect, but replacing füttern with essen, I told her, I'd come to eat the cat. :eek:

It didn't taste good tbh.

Ha ha.. Yes, the grammar is a bitch, especially the nonsensical usage of accusative and dative. I think I now get more right than wrong, although I am still guessing a lot of the time.
I also struggle with the gender of things, there is very little sense used there either, although I have seen a book online that I would like to buy which apparently can bring some clarity.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I also struggle with the gender of things, there is very little sense used there either, although I have seen a book online that I would like to buy which apparently can bring some clarity.

The real sods in German are those words that have different meanings according to their gender - like See, Steuer or Kiefer - I nearly always get those wrong.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
I lived in Rotterdam for 6 months having married a Dutch woman, and her parents spoke little English so thought it polite to learn Dutch so I could speak to them. One of the best things I found was watching English/American tv programmes as the Dutch don't overdub, but put Dutch subtitles on, so I could listen to the English being spoken whilst reading the subtitles. Whilst I'm no way fluent in Dutch, I can hold a fairly good conversation.

That's fine, but you do have to remember that most Dutch speak better English than we do.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I learned quite a bit of Spanish travelling. I had some background in the language and realised I could read it very well even before I got there, but my spoken language wasn't good at all as it simply took me too long to work out what verbs etc to use, and my comprehension suffered similarly. Initially I was put off by their constant correction of my Spanish (it came across as rude to an Englishman, to be honest), but once I accepted it and just started chatting, repeatedly, with random people I got much much better. Then I returned and I've not spoken any, which is a real shame. But consumption, repetition and trial and error were the absolute keys for me.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
That's fine, but you do have to remember that most Dutch speak better English than we do.

No excuse not to learn the language though, in their country they would still prefer to speak their language (especially elderly people who were educated before English was compulsory).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here