Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Seven Seas of Rhye

exKT17

Nov 27, 2016
Argyll & Bute
In amongst all the Queen talk I want to shout this out -

I was a teenager reeling in delight from Ziggy Stardust, then this song crackled across my crappy transistor radio one sunday night...

The song blew my mind and I still think of it as Queen's most exciting song.

I feel it has been a little forgotten amongst all the recent queenery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4Odk-v3oU

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I think it was about a fantasy land, certainly not about the Rye in East Sussex

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
In amongst all the Queen talk I want to shout this out -

I was a teenager reeling in delight from Ziggy Stardust, then this song crackled across my crappy transistor radio one sunday night...

The song blew my mind and I still think of it as Queen's most exciting song.

I feel it has been a little forgotten amongst all the recent queenery...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e4Odk-v3oU

It’s their best song by far. I have championed it for about 30 years.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Its the only song of theirs I have time for. It is the first song of theirs I heard. Very disappointed when they subsequently opted to devote the rest of their career to poncing about.

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro
Love their early stuff

Kent Seagull

Jul 5, 2003
Tenterden, Kent
Yup, along with Tie Your Mother Down. Not a big fan of the later stuff but boy did these two songs rock!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

Nobby

Sep 29, 2007
Yup, along with Tie Your Mother Down. Not a big fan of the later stuff but boy did these two songs rock!

Sent from my SM-A320FL using Tapatalk

This
Seven Seas of Rhye made Queen the first rock band I was into. Then after the first three albums it all fell apart and became a bit embarrassing

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Not a Queen fan but just after 7 Seas of Rhye started to make an impact I met a guy in a club who told me that he’d been the drummer in Queen until a few months ago. I thought nothing of it at the time but have wondered since if he was a bullshitter or about to become the most gutted ex drummer in the world.

FWIW although I am not a fan I thought Queen’s (well Mercury’s) performance at Live Aid is up there with the best live performances of all time.

Edit, having checked on the history of Queen members it seems the guy I met was a bullshitter :smile:

Last edited:

Not a Queen fan but just after 7 Seas of Rhye started to make an impact I met a guy in a club who told me that he’d been the drummer in Queen until a few months ago. I thought nothing of it at the time but have wondered since if he was a bullshitter or about to become the most gutted ex drummer in the world.

FWIW although I am not a fan I thought Queen’s (well Mercury’s) performance at Live Aid is up there with the best live performances of all time.

Edit, having checked on the history of Queen members it seems the guy I met was a bullshitter :smile:

I think Pete Best must be the most gutted ex-drummer in the world by some distance.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
Yeah, remember seeing them doing this on Top of the Pops, and being absolutely astonished. Went out and bought it the next day with money from my paper-round in Lancing. It remains one of my favourite songs to this day.

I'd actually first 'seen' Queen a few months earlier, when the Old Grey Whistle Test showed a film clip of them performing 'Liar' live
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oU7rqB9E_0M

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here