Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Unusual Bus Depots

The Hon Sec

Feb 23, 2009
Deep up County
As a youngster in the 50s always thought that the Hawkhurst bus station and garage was wonderful. Maidstone & District and Southdown as I remember. There was a scale model of the building constructed in matchsticks in a display case inside. We were sometimes waiting for a connection there after a day out in Hastings. A Tesco's now.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I once caught a bus from Belgrade to Timisoara: it was dirt cheap, only 4 euros but my Serbian friends laughed when I said I was getting it - I soon found out why.

We had to get a train to the outskirts of Belgrade, we stopped outside a field. The field looked like Wild Park does after the travellers had been, rubbish everywhere and a few caravans and cars dotted around. In the middle of the field was a bus that looked like it came into service in the 60s.

We got out and found ourselves surrounded by blokes who appeared to have stepped out of low budget East European gangster movie. It looked like they hadn't shaved for a week and smelled like they hadn't washed for a year. It was quite some trip ... but we did get to Timisoara in one piece. Amazingly, so did the bus.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I awoke in Watford bus depot one drunken night. I must have boarded that bus in south London, where i knew i was that evening, and been embarrassingly unconscious for about 3 hours before being turfed out some 25 miles from home. I tried to sneak back in as the streets of Watford seemed awash with the uncurtailably unknown, but i was spotted and out i woozily hobbled toward a £60 cab. Pah, pah and triple to that bloody evening.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I awoke in Watford bus depot one drunken night. I must have boarded that bus in south London, where i knew i was that evening, and been embarrassingly unconscious for about 3 hours before being turfed out some 25 miles from home

You were lucky. A mate of mine fell asleep on a bus and woke up in Brixton bus depot. He was arrested, charged with being drunk in a public place and was up before the beak on Monday morning.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
You were lucky. A mate of mine fell asleep on a bus and woke up in Brixton bus depot. He was arrested, charged with being drunk in a public place and was up before the beak on Monday morning.

That certainly sounds unpleasant, whilst the head and some innards throb from the overdoing it.

brighton terra

Dec 5, 2008
Worthing
I give you the Grade II* Listed Stockwell Bus Garage!
6ACBED55-0D8B-4713-A2BA-80CA0DB7E8E8.jpeg

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
Saw this thread ignored because I have no interest whatsoever and wondered why. Then looking to find a route between the Woolpack Brookland and the Red Lion Snargate there is a bus depot in the middle of nowhere, good old NSC!

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
The bus depot in the Mall shopping centre, Maidstone has an interesting array of human life you don't generally encounter. Like the bar in the 1st Star Wars film !

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Potentially more intresting than unusual ports or airports ..............................................

..................................... but still registering 7 or 8 on the 'meh' scale. Sorry ........................................

Well it's massively more interesting for me!

Agree re the previous comments on Pool Valley, gone massively downhill over the past decade or so, and barely registers as a bus/coach station anymore.

I could whittle on about the majority of the bus stations/garages in the London area of the late 1960's & 70's, but fear l would send everyone on here to sleep, so l'll just keep sctum.

As a youngster in the 50s always thought that the Hawkhurst bus station and garage was wonderful. Maidstone & District and Southdown as I remember. There was a scale model of the building constructed in matchsticks in a display case inside. We were sometimes waiting for a connection there after a day out in Hastings. A Tesco's now.[/QUOTE

In the days when Hawkhurst (and to a degree Heathfield) were public transport hubs with services here, there and possibly everywhere on a regular basis.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Well it's massively more interesting for me!

Agree re the previous comments on Pool Valley, gone massively downhill over the past decade or so, and barely registers as a bus/coach station anymore.

I could whittle on about the majority of the bus stations/garages in the London area of the late 1960's & 70's, but fear l would send everyone on here to sleep, so l'll just keep sctum.
No, no. More please. [emoji851]

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
2 or 3 years back I was working on a site in Whitehawk

passing the bus depot,nothing unusual

but I did half expect Reg Varney to walk out

I hate you Butler ;lol;

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
2 or 3 years back I was working on a site in Whitehawk

passing the bus depot,nothing unusual

but I did half expect Reg Varney to walk out

I hate you Butler ;lol;

Randy old Bob the conductor, (Jack Harper), committed suicide . . . not a lot of people know that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here