Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Cricket bats

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Ah - I work in Wakefield (and stayed in a hotel in Wakefield 2/3 nights a week for 8 months before moving), so that is where most of my experience comes from!

What amazes me is the sheer number of people that are active compared to the Midlands, where I had lived for 15 years before moving up here. Really keen to get my boys into some (any) sport, when they are a little older.
Yes that's a good thing. Before my son started playing cricket I had no idea how many hundreds of clubs there actually were round here.

We spend most of the summer driving to different towns and villages all round Yorkshire for matches and it's amazing how many grounds there are.

I read that there are more cricket clubs in Yorkshire than in Australia and it doesn't surprise me now. There are over 100 within a 10 mile radius of where I live.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
If you want a real hand picked bat experience try these guys http://www.cricketbatexpert.com/

Based in Buxted and top quality bats but also have all sorts to meet most budgets. They deal with quite a few top players, I got a bat last year and at the time they had a box load of bats for Eoin Morgan that had all been labelled up with ‘Captain Morgan’ logos for his IPL stint. He didn’t get picked so the bats were back for re-labelling!

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Yes that's a good thing. Before my son started playing cricket I had no idea how many hundreds of clubs there actually were round here.

We spend most of the summer driving to different towns and villages all round Yorkshire for matches and it's amazing how many grounds there are.

I read that there are more cricket clubs in Yorkshire than in Australia and it doesn't surprise me now. There are over 100 within a 10 mile radius of where I live.

One of my lads still lives in Rotherham and for 25 years or so he has played for various clubs all within spitting distance of his home.
Many of the cricket clubs are all that is left from the pits that were the core of the villages (e.g. Maltby Miners Welfare, Thurcroft Welfare).
Most of the clubs have a bar at least and there are quite a few clubs in the higher leagues that have a full/part-time professional paid for from the bar takings.

Rodney Thomas

May 2, 2012
Ελλάδα
One of my lads still lives in Rotherham and for 25 years or so he has played for various clubs all within spitting distance of his home.
Many of the cricket clubs are all that is left from the pits that were the core of the villages (e.g. Maltby Miners Welfare, Thurcroft Welfare).
Most of the clubs have a bar at least and there are quite a few clubs in the higher leagues that have a full/part-time professional paid for from the bar takings.

I played in the Bradford League whilst at university and couldn't believe the difference. They take it seriously up there and the culture was all different. I once got run out while backing up and got told to "fook off". When we we bowled after tea I've never played in such a high stakes game and it meant nothing league wise. It was a great experience

fisons

Feb 21, 2005
I looked at the Newbery in the summer, the cheapest bat was just under £200. That's a bit steep for something that he may outgrow by next season. If he was part of the county set-up, it maybe justified but he probably won't bat more than half a dozen times with it, far too much for my budget.

If you mention which club he plays for Newbury will give you 20% off and the Harrows or size sixes are much cheaper than £200. Worth a visit anyway.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Another good place I have found in the County ( admittedly some distance to travel ) is Game, Set and Match in Chichester, a Cricket, Hockey and Bowls superstore run by Andrew and Ben Barnes. Great knowledge,huge experience and very helpful. Wisdom Sports in Haywards Heath is also excellent, although I understand that Nick Wisdom has now retired.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Genuinely thought this was a thread about another thing being banned by the club, I was all ready to write a strongly worded e-mail to #BarberOut.

Grombleton

Surrounded by <div>s
Dec 31, 2011
Bit of a way out for you no doubt but can thoroughly recommend Jim Hills (ex Billingshurst now at Coolham just off A272). An old fashioned Sports Gear Shop (well Barn these days), get all my cricket gear from there. https://www.jimhillssports.co.uk/

This thread reminds me I need a new bat as well! And some ability to wield it of course, sadly not so easy...

Oh good shout with Jim Hills. Used to go there a lot for bits when he was based in Jengers Mead. Shame they had to go from there.

Another good place I have found in the County ( admittedly some distance to travel ) is Game, Set and Match in Chichester, a Cricket, Hockey and Bowls superstore run by Andrew and Ben Barnes. Great knowledge,huge experience and very helpful. Wisdom Sports in Haywards Heath is also excellent, although I understand that Nick Wisdom has now retired.

Game Set & Match is also very good. Haven't been there for a while but bought some Bowls bits from there back when they had their old shop.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
THis . . . . they were realy good with my Lad, fitted the grip he wanted and stampd the bat with his initials etc as well.

The shop at the county ground has a big selection of Newbery bats. Otherwise Intersport in Lewes or Wisdom Sports in HH are your best bet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here