Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Car that you can put two bikes in ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Me and the Mrs are thinking of getting a bigger car in order that we can stick two (probably electric) bikes in it and go for rides in nice places around Sussex. We want to be able to bung them in the back rather than hang them off the tailgate or put them on the roof.

We're thinking of a decent size estate would do the job.

Anyone got any recommendations ? (me, I fancy an E-class Benzo, but 'er indoors thinks we might look a bit like we're lord-mayoring it)

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Good to hear that somebody is wanting to put their bikes in the car unlike most of the morons who stick them on the tailgate completely obscuring their number plate with no action taken by old bill.

Last edited:

wolfie

Jul 19, 2003
Warwickshire
I use a Renault Scenic. Take out the centre rear seat and you can stand one bike in easily, and get a rear passenger in if necessary. I do this for every home game. Drive to edge of Brighton, bike to Amex and back straight after and on to A23. Could probably do 2 bikes if I took out more seats.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I use a Renault Scenic. Take out the centre rear seat and you can stand one bike in easily, and get a rear passenger in if necessary. I do this for every home game. Drive to edge of Brighton, bike to Amex and back straight after and on to A23. Could probably do 2 bikes if I took out more seats.

Or if you took out the other bike. Simple. :shrug:

Last edited:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Me and the Mrs are thinking of getting a bigger car in order that we can stick two (probably electric) bikes in it and go for rides in nice places around Sussex. We want to be able to bung them in the back rather than hang them off the tailgate or put them on the roof.

We're thinking of a decent size estate would do the job.

Anyone got any recommendations ? (me, I fancy an E-class Benzo, but 'er indoors thinks we might look a bit like we're lord-mayoring it)

https://www.carbuyer.co.uk/reviews/recommended/best-cars-for-cyclists-and-bikes

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Renault scenic had two needed for our daughters cycling career so far and used by many cycling parents who’s children race. Seats on older models can come out and many bikes put in. My husband informs me the new model would not be as good for this so we kept our existing one when the lease term expired.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Transit van!

Tried that, she says "we ain't gypsies"
Got a point.

I can get two bikes in my A3 by putting the seats down and taking the front wheels off the bikes. Pretty sure that would work in any hatchback.

Don't want to muck about with spanners.

Nothing French. I have standards.

Renault scenic had two needed for our daughters cycling career so far and used by many cycling parents who’s children race. Seats on older models can come out and many bikes put in. My husband informs me the new model would not be as good for this so we kept our existing one when the lease term expired.

See above.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I'm currently tooling around in a 2012 VW Touareg. It's comfortable, very decent on fuel despite being a 3.0 V6 TDI, nippy when you hit the loud pedal, and it can swallow a whale with the rear seats down. I've had zero bother with it, too.

Oddly enough, I'm looking to change soon (still saving the pennies) and was looking at this car earlier.. Belting value for money :

https://www.cargiant.co.uk/car/mercedes/e220/LO66YNA

Don't worry what other people think... Put your tricorn on, hang the chain round your neck, and go for it!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Tried that, she says "we ain't gypsies"
Got a point.

Don't want to muck about with spanners.

Nothing French. I have standards.

See above.

:facepalm:

I'm beginning to think this is a wind-up.

Unless you are buying a £100 bike from Argos your bikes will come with Quick Release Wheels.
You'll be able to remove and replace either wheel in seconds.

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Fiat doblo it's a van derived car loads of space very simple mechanics go forever loads on the road with 200,000 mile on the clock not expensive to buy or run plus it's so ugly you can leave it unlocked with a note on the dash saying steal me and no one will touch it👍🏻

Steve in Japan

NSC Patreon
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
I had a Ford C Max Grand which would take 2 bikes in the boot with the back seats down. It’s a taller car. Don’t think you’d get 2 in the back of a regular estate without taking them apart.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Rita , Sue & Bob too

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
I had a Ford C Max Grand which would take 2 bikes in the boot with the back seats down. It’s a taller car. Don’t think you’d get 2 in the back of a regular estate without taking them apart.

I’d second this. We have a C-Max and the boot is cavernous, also, the seats can be completely removed in seconds.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
75EA5448-300B-48A2-8B0C-DDECD6F1FB68.jpeg

Won’t matter if the bikes get dirty if you get one of these.

I have (a similar, but fancier - it has 5 seats and I can cover the pickup bed if I want) one which I use for fishing trips...

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here