Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Naples cruise visit

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Hope someone can help.
We have booked a cruise from Malta to Malta and we are calling at Naples.
The "official" excursion is to Sorrento.
I want to go to either Pompei or Herracleum.

Is this possible bearing in mind the ship arrives early am and leaves around 19:00.
What is the best way to get to these ruins?

Thanks in advance.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
We went to Herculaneum whilst staying in Naples and took the Circumvesuviana train there from Naples Garibaldi/Central station. Takes about 20 mins on train and 5 minute walk. Was a lovely place and much less crowded than Pompeii apparently. Got chatting to an Italian family on the train and the husband had been a waiter at the seafood restaurant Alfreshco on Brighton seafront! How is the excursion getting to Sorrento as it will be passing Herculaneum on the way!

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hope someone can help.
We have booked a cruise from Malta to Malta and we are calling at Naples.
The "official" excursion is to Sorrento.
I want to go to either Pompei or Herracleum.

Is this possible bearing in mind the ship arrives early am and leaves around 19:00.
What is the best way to get to these ruins?

Thanks in advance.

After numerous trips to Italy, you'll enjoy the beautiful sites of Herculaneum Pompeii, Sorrento and even Amalfi.
Your best bet in travelling to these destinations, is by train from Stazione Napoli Centrale on Piazza Garibaldi, which from memory run about every half-hour between 06:00 and 23:00 every day.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
When you dock at Sorrento, get the bus up from the marina to the main square Piazza Tasso, the station is about 5 mins walk north of this, get the circumvesuviana train to Pompeii which is about 20 mins. Station at Pompeii is near the entrance for the ruins. I’m going there myself in April - my fourth visit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I would stronglty recommend using the train service to Pompeii, which is a very short journey on a modern line, and far quicker/cheaper than a taxi. The station is literally at Pompeii.

You can ‘do’ Pompeii comfortably within a day.

We got the train from Sorrento.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
When you dock at Sorrento, get the bus up from the marina to the main square Piazza Tasso, the station is about 5 mins walk north of this, get the circumvesuviana train to Pompeii which is about 20 mins. Station at Pompeii is near the entrance for the ruins. I’m going there myself in April - my fourth visit

Apologies - thought you were docking in Sorrento! From Napoli cruise terminal, get the 151 bus to Napoli Garibaldi station, get the train to Pompeii which will be about 30 mins. Napoli is also a fantastic city - any more advise let me know

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Ditto here, Sorrento has some of the best gelato outlets around, even catering for gluten free warrior's.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Prefer Herculaneum to Pompeii, but if it was me I would get the army truck up Vesuvius and a decent walk to the top( it is still smoking btw, which is alarming) and you will see that it wasn't Vesuvius that killed everyone in Pompeii, it was the volcano next to it!

In Naples, go to the huge church next to the castle. Its marvellous inside.

What ship are you on and when are you going?

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Really cheap and easy by train from Sorrento or from Naples little train runs between the two along the coast past both archeological sites.

Herculaneum scarvi station is above the site and is a walk straight down a hill from the station while Pompeii scarvi is directly outside the entrance to Pompeii.

In both cases guides will be hanging around outside and will be offering tours which are well worth the money guides will have ID and must have a degree in archeological to be able to operate as a guide.

If there's anyone in your party who is either a pensioner or student take some ID to prove this passport student union card and get into either site half price.

Good advice is the wear good walking shoes the Roman roads are slippy, take water and umbrellas it gets very hot and there is not a lot of shade.

Not trying to overplay it but watch out for pickpockets on the train and try not to look to much like tourists in Naples to be honest it's the same as anywhere in the world just keep your wits about you and don't wonder off the beaten track, have been several times and while never personally had a problem know others who had been mugged, pickpocketed, scammed and in one case slipped and fell over a wall in Herculaneum braking a leg!

Naples archeological museum if you have time holds all the finds from Pompeii and Herculaneum and is the number one archeological museum in all of Italy and that's saying somthing.

Sorrento is nice as is Almalfi and the cost road between the two is amazing.

Finally don't discount pre booking a taxi at an agreed price it might be possible if you were happy to limit one of the archeological sites to visit. I have known people to do a quick zip round Naples then drive up Vesuvius onto Pompeii for a run round then drive through Sorrento along the Amalfi coast up into the mountains to Positano a quick coffee before returning to the ship for a lay down!

Capri is a short ferry ride from Naples or Sorrento breath deeply as you approach the island you can smell the money

What ever you do you will have a great time a day in this area is nowhere near enough other than to give you a taste to come back

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Herculaneum and Pompeii can be seriously hot. With sun reflecting off the stone, I felt like a microwaved kitten!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I would stronglty recommend using the train service to Pompeii, which is a very short journey on a modern line, and far quicker/cheaper than a taxi. The station is literally at Pompeii.

You can ‘do’ Pompeii comfortably within a day.

We got the train from Sorrento.

Thanks. Naples will now be on my to do list.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I’d love to go back to Sorrento. We went just before having kids, what an easy life looking back!!

Never been to Italy. This will be next september as i already have plans. Will only fly from Gatwick which is on my doorstep. Shame as i fancy Belgrade.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
For a real feel of the city you could try a trip to Scampia?

Nice for an Al Fresco lunch.

comment_fhbFzCcP7RTIKPOZosS3Os8GpBEJzUeu.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Never been to Italy. This will be next september as i already have plans. Will only fly from Gatwick which is on my doorstep. Shame as i fancy Belgrade.

I’ll never fly Stansted or Luton, I have no interest in two hellish motorway journeys to add to holiday travelling time.

Open your mind to Heathrow, it’s just 45 minutes from you and Alpha Cabs do it for £70 I think. So many more flight routes.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
I’ll never fly Stansted or Luton, I have no interest in two hellish motorway journeys to add to holiday travelling time.

Open your mind to Heathrow, it’s just 45 minutes from you and Alpha Cabs do it for £70 I think. So many more flight routes.

I have flown from Stansted once before. Never again.

A cab to Gatwick is only £12 or £2.50 bus fair. What's more annoying was when Monarch went burst and BA took the slots. My flights to Turkey have doubled.

Easyjet doesn't have much competition. Never flown with T.C but another one who went bust.

I was hoping Gatwick would get a 2nd runway.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Yes as others have said use the train to both. I preferred Herculaneum: it’s smaller and less busy and if you have a tight timetable you’ll be able to see it all better than Pompeii. At a push you might get round both - they’re not far apart.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here