Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Unusual airports

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
La Guardia is unusual in that it is so incredibly shit for serving a city as large as NY.

As well as being a total dump, there is no public transport into Manhattan.

What’s that all about?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What hotel was it, we stayed in the Eden Mar, Funchal, very nice.

We stayed at the savoy gardens in Funchal which we have just booked for another week around Easter ....we were put up Saccharum in calheta which was absolutely fabulous.

Apart from the fact that it is a decent walk from the centre, towards the lido, the savoy gardens is very cheap and it is amazing value as it is superb. We are stuck with school holidays so cost is certainly a issue. The mrs works at a school. Hence cruising is cost prohibitive now due to the dollar pound rate. We are doing a 5 star hotel in Corfu for two weeks for miles less that a cruise!

Last edited:

graysgull

Aug 23, 2003
Argyle International Airport in St Vincent.

New airport, with most flights are island hoppers. Only international floghts at the time were from Canada.

Jul 7, 2003
Bandung in Indonesia is the opposite. The plane lands on the only runway, turns around and taxis back up the runway to get to the terminal. One of these days there will be a plane landing at the same time and they will meet head on.

To be fair, this is no different to London City. I love the little quirks of LCY - the three point turns the planes do to park up, the way they use the Shard as a giant traffic cone to turn around before landing...

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
To be fair, this is no different to London City. I love the little quirks of LCY - the three point turns the planes do to park up, the way they use the Shard as a giant traffic cone to turn around before landing...

Yes, but they have British air traffic controllers.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
From personal experience two that stick out are St Lucia and Mombasa for having the perception of basically landing in a residential area with about a ten metre expanse of grass either side of the runway, a chain link fence and then either a road or someone’s back garden immediately next to it.

I’m pretty sure in St Lucia I saw goats tethered to the chain link fence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bardo

Jul 6, 2004
Seaford
I quite like Gibraltar airport whose runway basically runs across the Spanish entrance and exit to/from the country, necessitating all traffic to be held up whenever a plane flies in or out, which sometimes amounts to as much as two hours a day. A diversion route was planned in 2009 but to-date still hasn't been built!

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Shimla Airport always amused me. They simply shaved the top off of a mountain.

66_big.jpg

And then there's Malabo Airport in Equatorial Guinea. Not actually all that remarkable at all. I just like saying I've been to Equatorial Guinea. I've been to Equatorial Guinea. Did I mention that? :shrug:

Aerial_view_of_Malabo_Airport.jpeg

Mexican Seagull

Jan 16, 2013
Mexico City
Yes this is a fun one as is Thorshavn on the Faeroe Islands

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Leeds Bradford is the highest in the UK and the runway points the wrong way so there's always cross wind and a terrifying landing every time.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Samana airport, Dominican Republic. Thomson flew there for one summer only. On the flight I was on the pilot flew low over the runway to take a look. Just a small strip of runway and a couple of sheds and a massive Dreamliner plane.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
Nothing too unusual about the actual airport but enjoyed flying out of Flagstaff, AZ when security was all closed up and we were told we'd have to wait 30 minutes because the TSA had "gone out for burritos"

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Courchevel airport in The Three Valley is interesting.....with a cliff edge at one end.

Attachments

• 116B21FE-89A8-4D71-AE02-82EDF02F8A46.jpeg
    116B21FE-89A8-4D71-AE02-82EDF02F8A46.jpeg
    58.7 KB · Views: 442

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Male Airport, the Maldives is interesting in that the airport is an island in itself - there is nothin else there and there is sea at either end of 'the' runway and the only way out is seaplane to whichever island in the archipelago you are headed or dhoni (converted fishing boat) to the island upon which the capital Mali is located !

Will post a pic if I can locate !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here