Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Unusual airports

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
The world has quite a few unusual airports so I've no doubt that the good people of NSC have visited some of them. Please do share your experiences.

I recently flew in and out of Scarlett Martínez International Airport, Rio Hato, in Panama. So different to most international airports. It is pretty much brand new but has almost no flights and the few they have are all from Canada. There are two planes landing and then leaving again today, which is a busy day for them. It has no proper taxiways - you want to taxi, you use the runway.

It is also impossible to buy a ticket for a flight out of Rio Hato, you can only buy return tickets from Canada. So if you are a Panamanian (who paid for the airport) and want to book a trip to Canada, you are out of luck.

Scarlett_Martinez_Airport_2.png

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Banjul Airpot in Gambia has an enourmously long runway as it was an emergency escape runway for the NASA space shuttle as it’s latitude was ideal. When I landed there back in the 90s our plane basically came to a halt on the runway, we got off, the next load of passengers got on and it carried on down the runway and took off.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Airport in Madeira is hairy to say the least.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Banjul Airpot in Gambia has an enourmously long runway as it was an emergency escape runway for the NASA space shuttle as it’s latitude was ideal. When I landed there back in the 90s our plane basically came to a halt on the runway, we got off, the next load of passengers got on and it carried on down the runway and took off.

Skiathos has a ridiculously short runway, hard on the brakes only experienced pilots allowed.
Our plane had to land at Thessaloniki to top up because it's best not to have full tanks just in case.
Also St Martin's in the Carribbean, planes land right over a beach, 2 X 747's a week is the highlight for the island plane spotters.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
IMG_0269.JPG

We are there again the week before and over Easter!

It's fun and games

The end of the runwAy is on huge stilts over the hill!

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
[MENTION=20]Publius Ovidius[/MENTION] that reminds me of Hamilton Island Airport in Queensland.

I particularly liked the luggage collection system. A luggage buggy is driven to the plane, all the cases are loaded on, then it drives back and stops outside the terminal. At that point it's a free-for-all to collect your cases directly from the buggy.

3881261904_59db255448_b.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Quality thread.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class

Bandung in Indonesia is the opposite. The plane lands on the only runway, turns around and taxis back up the runway to get to the terminal. One of these days there will be a plane landing at the same time and they will meet head on. Mark my words, this is Indonesia we are talking about.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Taking off from Toronto Pearson Airport is fun at this time of year. Before taking off, every plane has to pull up to the de-icing facility which is kind of like a big jet wash. They spend about 10 minutes covering every inch of the plane with bright green de-icer. Then the pilots have to do an engine test to make sure the de-icer hasn't f***ed things up.

I'm sure most other airports in cold climates have the same facility but this is the first time I've experienced it.

Deicing-953x300.jpg

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Flew to La Rochelle recently. The airport is so small it makes Shoreham airport (sorry Brighton City airport) look big and bustling by comparison.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I favour a civilised airport myself, none of the riff-raff you get up north at places like Croydon. And one can Park the Talbot outside the terminus, gratis.

IMG_0142.JPG

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
I once took Air Uzbekistan to Bangkok (I was a student and poor). We came in to land at Tashkent and I was confused that I couldn’t see the runway - the reason became obvious when we just landed on the snow. We were all turfed off in to the terminal while they refuelled and, weirdly, had to check in again. There was one bar and a pint was the equivalent of 10p. By the time we got back on the plane, half the passengers (who mostly seemed to be middle aged Brummie men headed for delights of Bangkok) were so far gone they had to be helped up the steps to the plane.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I think we've chatted about the Portuguese pit pony airport before, quite an interesting landing, especially when windy :eek:

Last time we were there, we sat in the airport all day as there was no flights due to wind and got out the day after. Put us up in a fantastic 5star hotel that evening!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here