Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Staged homophobic/racist attack

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-51469713

Jussie Smollett faces six new charges

TV actor Jussie Smollett has been indicted by a special prosecutor in Illinois on six counts of lying to police.

The Empire actor said he was the subject of a racist and homophobic attack in Chicago last year.

Authorities have accused him of staging the attack on himself for publicity, something he has always denied.

Smollett now faces six counts of disorderly conduct, special prosecutor Dan Webb said in a statement.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
He’s ruined his own life.

In addition, his lies wouldn’t do any favours to real victims of this sort of crime.

This is the real tragedy here, false claims simply play into the hands of the bigots and deniers- its just attention seeking, and makes people who are victims feel more pressure NOT to report crimes, and with a case with this much public awareness just makes it more difficult for all of us

It also wastes valuable police and court time and money that could be better used to investigate and prosecute real crimes .

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
This is the real tragedy here, false claims simply play into the hands of the bigots and deniers- its just attention seeking, and makes people who are victims feel more pressure NOT to report crimes, and with a case with this much public awareness just makes it more difficult for all of us

It also wastes valuable police and court time and money that could be better used to investigate and prosecute real crimes .

Exactly to all of that.

His (criminal) cry wolf will be used by racists in future to doubt real acts.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England

I get what you're trying to do but it's a pretty poor video.

Most of the people in this video were highlighting the (what they believed to be) attack as a sign of the times in the US.

The weren't actually wrong about the social aspect, even if the attack obviously never happened and we can now 'mock' those who dared to believe it was true.

The jaunty music seems to suggest that the video is trying to portray that division in the US was not happening at the time because the attack was false.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Ridiculous that someone should do what he did. He's ruined his career.

In other matters, there is something about this thread and certain participants.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
I get what you're trying to do but it's a pretty poor video.

Most of the people in this video were highlighting the (what they believed to be) attack as a sign of the times in the US.

The weren't actually wrong about the social aspect, even if the attack obviously never happened and we can now 'mock' those who dared to believe it was true.

The jaunty music seems to suggest that the video is trying to portray that division in the US was not happening at the time because the attack was false.

The video is highlighting and mocking the modern day propensity to make grandstanding virtue signalling statements before having all the facts.

Happens too often these days. People are tried and convicted in public before the actual law process has been undertaken.

Like when LeBron James tweets out and identifies a Police Officer who shot a black girl dead as "You're Next" only for it to be shown the officer shot the girl because she was wielding a knife and was attempting to attack another black girl.

The whole Covington student situation where he won millions of dollars in law suits because of false reporting.

The whole Rittenhouse case. He too could make millions in lawsuits against these people and organisations.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Yeah, I could do without agenda reporting, whether it's Fox's right wing nonsense or from the left. I like my news to be news, personally. I generally use Reuters or the AP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here