Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] The Samsung Fold - this could be a gamechanger

Live by the sea

Oct 21, 2016
Reduce the price by 50 % and it could be a game changer, assuming its not too heavy and battery life is good.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Will wait for the Omsung Fild.

I’m with you there BV.

As an Omsung aficionado myself I wouldn’t waste my time with a menial Samsung.

Their one's been out for ages.

omsung-flip-phones.jpg

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
It looks like a terrible 1st gen product which will spark innovation. In 5 years we'll be using our folding iPads without a care in the world.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
It'll be less than half that price in a year.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Unfortunately nearly every review unit sent out has broken very quickly: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-47970788

That protective film he peels off the screen at 1.52 is apparently supposed to stay on !

Not having that. Whenever I get something new that has a bit of clear plastic stuck over it, thats the first thing to come off. Maybe in 2-3 years the next gen ones will sort this issue, as I definitely fancy one.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Much better by all accounts, Huawei Mate-X

HuaweiMateX-2-920x613.png

They've solved the kink (and this one folds flat unlike the Samsung) by putting the screen on the "outside".

matex-1-18-920x613.jpg

There is a smart cover, that converts it into a "normal" phone because as you can see the "back" of the phone is a screen.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
That protective film he peels off the screen at 1.52 is apparently supposed to stay on !

Not having that. Whenever I get something new that has a bit of clear plastic stuck over it, thats the first thing to come off. Maybe in 2-3 years the next gen ones will sort this issue, as I definitely fancy one.

No - the one in the Unbox Therapy is clearly the protective film that all new devices come with. The shot cuts away, but you can see that it's wrapping around the back too.

But, yes, there does seem to be another protective coating that many of the journos sent early review devices have mistakenly pulled off, helping to trash the phone as a result.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Nicely done journo's. Did that guy go at it with his keys ? :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Was a rush job to be “the first”. Heads will be rolling over at Samsung HQ.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHR8efUn3SY

oYSZYneMvTNZ6wNqFUmPSM-768-80.jpg

This looks bloody amazing. Go to 3m 40s to see it properly.

This thing looks like the NUTS. Move over Apple...

Good for a thousand folds in the press release I saw.

A thousand.

Use your phone 3 times a day for a year and you rack up a thousand folds. Going to last most people 3m tops before they start to snap.

Folding phone are definitely the future but it won't be this one that changes the world.

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
Good for a thousand folds in the press release I saw.

A thousand.

Use your phone 3 times a day for a year and you rack up a thousand folds. Going to last most people 3m tops before they start to snap.

Folding phone are definitely the future but it won't be this one that changes the world.

Times that by 200! Samsung has said their testing indicates it should last 200,000 folds, which many are likely to be suspicious of after what's transpired over the last few days :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here