[Politics] End of WW2 Kissing Nurse statue

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The lady who was kissed, I forget her name, stated a few years ago that it was a surprise but she didn’t mind at all. The war was over. The statue “unconditional surrender” is still very much there.
This act has done the #metoo movement no favours.

surlyseagull

Aug 23, 2008
Pathetic ....end of the war ,end of being constantly scared ......jeez metoo .
Like a lady from the war years said to myself yesterday "how dare they ,not in my name" and I would think a vast amount of women feel the same .

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
The lady who was kissed, I forget her name, stated a few years ago that it was a surprise but she didn’t mind at all.

Hmm. I’m not so sure about that. Reading what she’s actually said about the event, it seems to me that she understood, which is not the same as “not minding at all”.

Here’s a transcript of an interview with her in Aug 2005. http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.42863/transcript?ID=sr0001

In it, although she says “And so suddenly I was grabbed by a sailor, and it wasn't that much of a kiss, it was more of a jubilant act...”, she also says (when asked whether she’d do a re-enactment of the kiss when the two of them met again in Times Square in 1980) “...I didn't want to reenact the kiss...it wasn't my choice to be kissed. The guy just came over and kissed or grabbed.”. She uses the word “grabbed” four times in that interview.

To me, these do not seem the words of a woman who “didn’t mind at all”; more those of a woman who has accepted what happened with good grace, and who has suffered no ill consequence.

I’m torn on this. I do understand why the man did what he did, but the woman he did it to (and he did “do” it to her, she was a completely unknowing participant) has said multiple times that she was “grabbed”. So, under today’s mores, that’s a straight-forward case of sexual assault, isn’t it?

As I say, torn. Understand, but...

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
There are some scumbags that would say” it’s only a bit graffiti, get over it” absolute shithouses, graffiti is so disrespectful and brings an area down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
The guy, or the guy they think is the guy, died on Tuesday

I am concerned that if it is the guy they think is the guy who did it and who they think died on Tuesday will have a decent funeral or will have to wait to know whether the guy they think is the guy who did it died on Tuesday and now think he was buried. Sorry.

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
But it wasn't done under today's mores, it was done under the mores of 1945 or 46, so that argument is dead in the water from the minute #metoo bleated it.

Agreed.

I disagree with the vandalism of the statue for that reason. But if you’re running a campaign with activists, it’s not hugely surprising the vandalism happened.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Hmm. I’m not so sure about that. Reading what she’s actually said about the event, it seems to me that she understood, which is not the same as “not minding at all”.

Here’s a transcript of an interview with her in Aug 2005. http://memory.loc.gov/diglib/vhp/story/loc.natlib.afc2001001.42863/transcript?ID=sr0001

In it, although she says “And so suddenly I was grabbed by a sailor, and it wasn't that much of a kiss, it was more of a jubilant act...”, she also says (when asked whether she’d do a re-enactment of the kiss when the two of them met again in Times Square in 1980) “...I didn't want to reenact the kiss...it wasn't my choice to be kissed. The guy just came over and kissed or grabbed.”. She uses the word “grabbed” four times in that interview.

To me, these do not seem the words of a woman who “didn’t mind at all”; more those of a woman who has accepted what happened with good grace, and who has suffered no ill consequence.

I’m torn on this. I do understand why the man did what he did, but the woman he did it to (and he did “do” it to her, she was a completely unknowing participant) has said multiple times that she was “grabbed”. So, under today’s mores, that’s a straight-forward case of sexual assault, isn’t it?

As I say, torn. Understand, but...

Don’t be fooled, they bloody love it :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here