Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Remember the last time we played Millwall on a Sunday?

Prettyboyshaw

Feb 20, 2004
Saltdean
One of the ugliest mongs I've ever seen was dragged past the North Stand by the police during the home leg. Wasn't that happy with the 4-1 hammering they got

BlockDpete

Oct 8, 2005
Was a great Sunday as I remember.

Fantastic performance, then I strolled round to the ticket office to get my ticket for the 2nd leg (websites, loyalty points, what are they??)

Then onto the County Ground for a fine Sussex win too.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
This game and the Ipswich one before it to sneak into the playoffs will remain as two of my favourite ever games.

What football is all about. Epic times.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
A great day out, one of my all time favourite matches at the Goldstone

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Shame about Wembley. That was my lowest low at a football match. Expectations too high. Hope we get the better of Warnock this season.

That 2nd leg at The Den was something else. I can remember absolutely cacking it when they went 1 up, as I'd been there a couple of months earlier when they'd humped us 3-0 there, and with their away goal, 3-0 was all they needed. Then Codners equaliser absolutely killed them stone dead, and Robinsons late winner was just the icing on the cake.

Our coach got bricked on the way out of that hellhole, but nobody cared. What a night.

Told my mum to not go in the away section and keep a low one away from certain elements. Looked to our left from away section at the snarling Millwall mob up against the fence and in front of them was my dear old mum waving to me:wozza:

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Was the 2nd leg Millwall’s last ever game at the old Den? I remember not being let out after the game for about 45 minutes while the police cleared the waiting Millwall fans.

Edit: it wasn’t.

Last edited:

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ah what a day!

I was "having problems" at the time with the girl I was living with. Anyway, after the game we knew there were highlights on the telly, so a group of us went back to mine, grabbed a few beers en route, and settled down to watch the game all over again. Unfortunately, she comes back looking for a "chat" about how things are going, and I spent about 20 mins nipping between talking to her and dashing back into the lounge whenever I heard a cheer, until eventually while celebrating the third, I heard the door slam, as she stormed out.

Look, I was up for talking about how things were going, and what we needed to do to put things right, blah, blah, blah, but NOT then! Not while I've watching highlights of a game that would still give me goosebumps nearly 30 years later.

Before anyone asks ..... she moved all of her stuff out while I was at Wembley. I got home to our already sparsely furnished flat, with 50% of what little we did have, just gone. I was absolutely gutted, and by about Wednesday, I realised she'd gone.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This game and the Ipswich one before it to sneak into the playoffs will remain as two of my favourite ever games.

What football is all about. Epic times.

Getting into the play offs with a negative goal difference, it was a bizarre season. Losing that play off final was pivotal, it was the last hope and the nightmare 90's started...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The fact that I remember it like it was yesterday tells you all you need to know.

Mickey Small squaring up to the Millwall fans, joyous.

If my memory serves we went into that game 'short of goals'.
Thank God some things move on...

...oh.

Falmerfourtickets

Dec 14, 2010
19th May 1991. If memory serves the day after the Spurs v Forest FA Cup Final.

I think we played the second leg on the Wednesday at the old Den.

Was that the last competive match ever played there?

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Arguably Robert Codner’s finest 90 minutes in an Albion shirt.

Any chance one of the more technical minded NSC’ers could put the goals from the 1991 Play Off Semi on here please for all us 40 somethings?

40 somethings? A bit of wishful thinking there methinks :lolol::lolol:

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
19th May 1991. If memory serves the day after the Spurs v Forest FA Cup Final.

I think we played the second leg on the Wednesday at the old Den.

Was that the last competive match ever played there?

I think the FA Cup final was the week before.

Don't know about the last game at the Den, however two things about that night will stay with me forever.

The first was when Codner equalised, naturally the away end exploded and the Gulls Eye contingent found themselves near a man, without being rude, slightly dishevelled, long straggly hair, whispy beard, almost Christ like, during the goal celebrations he removed from his jacket a bottle of brown spirit, possibly whisky, I don't know, he passed it round and we all had a swig, it was the strongest thing I've ever tasted in my life, he then placed it back in his jacket and disappeared into the crowd, I have never seen him again from that day to this.

Was he our guardian Angel at the most hostile atmosphere I've ever encountered at a football match?

The other memory is the Millwall riot at the final whistle when they set fire to a copper's helmet, thankfully he wasn't in it at the time.

Happy days!!!

Thanks for the people who put the goals up, great memories.

PS At the home game on the Sunday Razors from the Long Good Friday bought a Gulls Eye.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
That was back in the days before I'd discovered the delights of the North, and I used to sit in the South. For this game, we were pretty close to the Millwall fans (and had quite a few mixed in with the home fans). Great day!

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Loved it...if I remember correctly they had Teddy Sherringham playing that day..

a little kid in front of us shouted 'Teddy Who' every time he touched the ball.

This in turn caused us to shout the surname of famous Teddy's.
We were on borrowed time when one of us replied with:-

'Ruxpin' :lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here