Swindon, but used to be Manila
Genesis Trick of the tail

A-Trick-Of-The-Tail-1.jpg

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Ha!

Madness was my first own record. I,listened to stevie wonder, Steve Miller, bob Marley, blondie, queen etc, but they were my parents records. We did have the muppets album, but that was a family record, not mine, and must have predated madness. My parents were in their 20's in the 70's so,still pretty cool, and still have better taste in music than most people!

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to 'The first album you wanted people to think you'd bought', as there's only 2 or 3 people I genuinely believe are telling the truth...

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My,parents had night at the opera, I used to listen to it, some of it, including the photos of the band I found quite scary. I was about 5 or 6.

Ha ha ha, so true. I was 3 when 'Are 'Friends' Electric' was released and by all accounts I loved it. However, if you'd shown me that album cover, I'd have shit my pants!

Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy when Brian shows Stewie the Queen album and it terrifies him.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Ha ha ha, so true. I was 3 when 'Are 'Friends' Electric' was released and by all accounts I loved it. However, if you'd shown me that album cover, I'd have shit my pants!

Reminds me of the episode of Family Guy when Brian shows Stewie the Queen album and it terrifies him.
As an aside, when I was about 10 I went to a fancy dress birthday party as Gary Numan, dressed exactly like that, with white face makeup and the same hairdo.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
My,parents had night at the opera, I used to listen to it, some of it, including the photos of the band I found quite scary. I was about 5 or 6.

My son (who was about 6 or 7) got really scared when we put Jeff Wayne’s War of the Worlds on when he was in bed one night and came downstairs to ask us to turn it off. Completely off topic but your post reminded me, hadn’t thought about it for years.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Not really the sleeve posted is the 1993 Music Club reissue which is worth about £3, as opposed the 1969 Decca black sleeve copy which is worth about £400

I just found that picture on google. I was sure the one I had, had a different cover.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Christmas Presents 1978?

That's Life - sham 69
Parrell Lines - Blondie

by this time I was heavly into the Stranglers so they didn't get alot of air time

can't remember for sure which Stranglers album I paid hard cash for first (one of the first 3)

newspaper rounds didn't pay that well back then

back then we really didn't buy too many records,somebody would have one and it got passed around

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Not really the sleeve posted is the 1993 Music Club reissue which is worth about £3, as opposed the 1969 Decca black sleeve copy which is worth about £400

I imagine the original is pretty rare, but at least if you bought a second hand copy none of the proceeds will go to Jonathan king.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Entangled is one of my favourite songs
“"Stop me from dreaming!"
"Don't be absurd!"

Steve Hackett Genesis revisited versions are also damn good

Marching to the promised land
Where the honey flows and takes you by the hand,
Pulls you down on your knees,
While you're down a pool appears.
The face in the water looks up,
And she shakes her head as if to say
That it's the last time you'll look like today.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
Beatles for Sale from Kemp and Turners in Carlton Terrace Portslade was the first I physically bought with money received for Christmas.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It was either,

Master of reality, Black Sabbath,
Or
Himself, Gilbert O’Sullivan.

I can’t remember which was first, I bought both about the same time. I don’t know which one is most embarrassing now, but a pretty wide taste in music even then. Funnily enough, my first gigs were either Slade, or Sweet, I went to one of them one week, and the other a week or so later, but, I can’t remember which was first.

First single was, The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde, by Georgie Fame.

As an aside, someone mentions the Mini pops albums , my niece was the Kylie Minogue on the about 1989 version.

Last edited:

ozzygull

Oct 6, 2003
Reading
Steve Hackett Genesis revisited versions are also damn good

Marching to the promised land
Where the honey flows and takes you by the hand,
Pulls you down on your knees,
While you're down a pool appears.
The face in the water looks up,
And she shakes her head as if to say
That it's the last time you'll look like today.

For years I thought it said “bluebells come in every size” instead of “Blue girls” Ripples is another great song,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here