Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] 1st Album you brought

Exile

Objective but passionate
Aug 10, 2014
Two, at the same time - from Woolworths in Blatchington Road.

Thriller, Michael Jackson and Darklands, Jesus and Mary Chain.

The first one I specifically remember buying with my own money was the Elton John Lion King soundtrack.

I stand by that being a MAGNIFICENT choice.

I can't stand when people say something COOL. Why lie? "Oh yeah, I was 6 and bought Dark Side". SHUT UP

Perhaps the thread title should be changed to 'The first album you wanted people to think you'd bought', as there's only 2 or 3 people I genuinely believe are telling the truth...

I am. Definitely the first 2 I bought with my own cash.

You’ll prefer that my first ‘live’ gig, was The Kids from Fame, at the Brighton Centre!

smillie's garden

Am I evil?
Aug 11, 2003
It was either,

Master of reality, Black Sabbath,
Or
Himself, Gilbert O’Sullivan.

I can’t remember which was first, I bought both about the same time. I don’t know which one is most embarrassing now, but a pretty wide taste in music even then. Funnily enough, my first gigs were either Slade, or Sweet, I went to one of them one week, and the other a week or so later, but, I can’t remember which was first.

First single was, The Ballad of Bonnie and Clyde, by Georgie Fame.

As an aside, someone mentions the Mini pops albums , my niece was the Kylie Minogue on the about 1989 version.

You had the dark/light dichotomy going on at an early age. Allow me to help you with your embarrassment conundrum: the answer is NOT Sabbath.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
The first one I specifically remember buying with my own money was the Elton John Lion King soundtrack.

I stand by that being a MAGNIFICENT choice.

I can't stand when people say something COOL. Why lie? "Oh yeah, I was 6 and bought Dark Side". SHUT UP

I think as albums cost more the first one you bought with your own cash was usually 'cool' as you probably bought it as a teenager. (That was the case of me and 'Aqualung', I was 13). I couldn't afford to buy albums until I got a paper round.

Singles though are a different matter. Whilst I'd love to say the first single I bought with my own money was some rare American R 'n' B import it was actually ..... 'Morningtown Ride' by The Seekers. I was 10. Now that's embarrassing. (But I know you won't tell anybody else).

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I think as albums cost more the first one you bought with your own cash was usually 'cool' as you probably bought it as a teenager. (That was the case of me and 'Aqualung', I was 13). I couldn't afford to buy albums until I got a paper round.

Singles though are a different matter. Whilst I'd love to say the first single I bought with my own money was some rare American R 'n' B import it was actually ..... 'Morningtown Ride' by The Seekers. Now that's embarrassing. (But I know you won't tell anybody else).

Better possibly than The Savage by the Shadows and even worse Happy Birthday Sweet 16 by Neil Sedaka which were my first two. I was only 10 though....

First one bought for me by someone else was Trini Lopez - If I Had a Hammer.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Better possibly than The Savage by the Shadows and even worse Happy Birthday Sweet 16 by Neil Sedaka which were my first two. I was only 10 though....

Err, not sure about that! :) I went back and edited my post to add my age, just in case anybody thought I was fully-grown adult.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
fire.jpg

Bob Marley was the first 'new' album I bought with the original cover. Someone nicked it when I was at uni.

origigull

Jun 29, 2009
Mine could either be K-Tel 40 original hits or Rod Stewart Never a Dull Moment around 1973. I bought mostly singles as they were the cheaper option. I am surprised that more k-tel or Now records were not 1st buys.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
origigull;8788957 I am surprised that more k-tel or Now records were not 1st buys.[/QUOTE said:
How uncool would that be!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
So checking back, the Lion King was purchased when I was 6/7, I also remember specifically buying Backstreet Boys' debut album in 1996, I would have been 9.

Thankfully something miraculous happened and I also purchased Manic Street Preachers - Everything Must Go in 1996 and the Lightning Seeds - Jollification (although that was a 1994 album).

Maybe Euro 96 changed me as it was also the first time I remember watching football.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here