Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Ruptured Achilles injuries.

Tubby-McFat-Fuc

May 2, 2013
Brighton
What do I do? Go the doctors for a diagnosis?

I despair for the human race sometimes!!

In a lot of pain, likely snapped an Achilles, everything point that urgent attention is required.... mmmm what should I do.

I know I'll go on NSC 36 hours later and ask a bunch of strangers their opion.

**** anyone's luck if they ever have a heart attack around you....

EErrrrr should I dial 999 or errr, I know I will go online and post a thread in NSC. They'll tell me what to do.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
I think I've gone and done mine.

I took my little girl out on her scooter on Monday so I could go for a walk and get her some exercise. About a mile from the car in typical 4 year old fashion she just stopped and said she was tired and wanted carrying so I had her on my shoulders with a scooter and helmet in both my hands.

Yesterday I was in agony with it but spent the day limping around at work as I'm on my feet all day.

I've been awake most of the night in almost unbearable pain unable to get comfy.

Today I can't even twitch a toe without yelping out in pain, can't move my foot or ankle at all yet alone put it on the floor or walk on it, my calf muscle is also very very tight.

What do I do? Go the doctors for a diagnosis? Just been on the internet and I have all the symptoms but a lot of sites recommend urgent care is required so do I get myself up A&E? Don't want to waste their time up there but on the other hand I'm in a lot of pain...

Could also be plantar fasciitis which is extremely painful but less serious. A good podiatrist would sort that out for you. *EDIT* Actually, maybe not, as it's so painful at night with no weight on it.

allystrat

Dec 19, 2011
Don’t mess around phoning 111 or seeng your GP, go straight to A&E. I ruptured mine some years ago playing football (very innocuous, was just moving toward the ball from a throw in) and got up at 5 am the next morning and somehow drove one footed from Mile Oak to the Sussex County. Was operated on within a few hours. As I understand it, if you leave it the tendon can retract and be much harder to repair.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Could also be plantar fasciitis which is extremely painful but less serious. A good podiatrist would sort that out for you. *EDIT* Actually, maybe not, as it's so painful at night with no weight on it.

Correct - nasty condition (especially if not treated quickly before it gets chronic) but unlikely to keep you up at night and tends to come on gradually......

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Yep...snapped mine and 30 years ago and still suffer with it....back is out of line...hamstring shorter...scar tissue .

Had it mended, 3 months in plaster...3 months in stepped heel shoe and all over 6 months of physio

Hated not being able to drive was a pain.

Best of luck mate

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
No-one on here can help - you need a proper diagnosis before anything else.
Oh pish, I reckon we can diagnose it on here and he'll be right as rain if he follows our advice. We know how to sort out Brexit, we know how to manage a football team in the PL, how hard can diagnosing and treating a little injury be?

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
I got my old man to give me a lift to a&e. Good job he was just sitting around at home enjoying retirement.

Had a scan on it and there's lots of scar tissue with inflammation. Not snapped or torn but certainly damaged.

I've had problems with that Achilles before with it being tight regularly in the past and the doc thinks I've had tendonitis in it for a long time that has been undiagnosed (probably because I've never been to the doctors about it).

Carrying my little girl on Monday for a long distance was obviously too much and it's finally given up.

I'm now home and on the sofa with it elevated and ice. A few days off work required. Something I can ill afford.

Thankyou for the (mostly) helpful replies.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I doubt its as serious as snapped, as you wouldn't have been able to continue walking initially. Puzzled how it took so long to get to get to the point you couldn't move it, but that's for the experts at A+E to expainI guess

Edit - just seen the OP has had it diagnosed.

Last edited:

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Elevation, no weight on it, ibuprofen and ice on calf and Achilles will help whilst you wait to be seen.NO stretching or playing around with it.
Good luck.

I got my old man to give me a lift to a&e. Good job he was just sitting around at home enjoying retirement.

Had a scan on it and there's lots of scar tissue with inflammation. Not snapped or torn but certainly damaged.

I've had problems with that Achilles before with it being tight regularly in the past and the doc thinks I've had tendonitis in it for a long time that has been undiagnosed (probably because I've never been to the doctors about it).

Carrying my little girl on Monday for a long distance was obviously too much and it's finally given up.

I'm now home and on the sofa with it elevated and ice. A few days off work required. Something I can ill afford.

Thankyou for the (mostly) helpful replies.

What do I win?
Good luck with rehab, you may need to push for future physio assistance.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I snapped mine in Holland a few years ago and there was a loud noise like a rifle shot and I was in intense pain. I was taken to hospital and the first thing they asked for was the E111 which I had. I was in hospital for 3 days on initially on morphine painkillers and have a six inch scar. I flew back through the insurance. I had one cast put on at Southlands with my foot pointed downwards . After 3 months I had this cast taken off and the smell of congealed blood was overwhelming. . The second cast was on for another 3 months and I was off work for 6 months. In the end it all healed nicely with no problems. Good luck.
Mrs V's brother snapped his stepping off a bus, his went like a rifle crack too. The bus driver shook his head and told him it was bad as it had happened quite a few times over the years on his busses. I think the " crack " is the sign that it has snapped, hopefully it's only sprained.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here