Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wembley

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
It used to be. It could be in the future. But at the moment it's a competition league one teams rest players for, that would have been unthinkable in the late 80s.

Managers rest players - and only in the early rounds - because the Premier/Champions League are worth crazy money and obv take priority.

The fans, players and managers of Liverpool, Spurs, Arsenal etc would love to win the FA Cup. It's silverware. Major silverware.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Frankly, getting to the Final and/or winning it beats staying in the boring PL any day. We can do both but if I was given a choice winning a major cup is the only right answer. Anybody disagreeing is not only wrong, but in need of a good kickin to reset their central cognitive settings! Madness, absolute madness to choose PL over winning the cup!!

Obviously, it would be ideal if we win the cup AND stay up. But it is only fair to Tony Bloom that IF we have to prioritise, the PL should come first. Is it reasonable to expect him again to dig into his pocket for the millions that we lose every year whilst in the Championship - and that is with huge crowds. Experience shows that even with parachute payments, it is very hard to go back up and I assume that all those who favour the cup over PL survival, would be willing to pay a lot more for Championship football. Or do we just say to TB - we will indulge ourselves and you pay, muggins.

Reading thro these comments do make me very nervous at the prospect of us playing at Wembley, Imagine the carnage!!
What goes around comes around as we know,so could be your turn, remember the St Patrick's day massacre then after the play off Glorious victory!
The cup semi or we even worse the final should you win it would be the worst outcome for us and perfect revenge for you and what a feeling that would be for you! Makes me feel sick!

That said you have a much better chance of making to the semi's than us :( Watford are our bogey team at the moment taken6 points off us, So I have doubts we'll make it to the Semi's but no matter who it is you have a good team who on their day especially with Muzza are capable of beating anyone on the day, I just hope and pray it's not us!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[/B]

Obviously, it would be ideal if we win the cup AND stay up. But it is only fair to Tony Bloom that IF we have to prioritise, the PL should come first. Is it reasonable to expect him again to dig into his pocket for the millions that we lose every year whilst in the Championship - and that is with huge crowds. Experience shows that even with parachute payments, it is very hard to go back up and I assume that all those who favour the cup over PL survival, would be willing to pay a lot more for Championship football. Or do we just say to TB - we will indulge ourselves and you pay, muggins.

So we're not allowed to dream of silverware, because we must instead worry about Tony's money on his behalf ? And by the way, THOUSANDS of us pay our money to watch BHAFC, week in week out. Do we pay as much as TB has put in ? No, of course not, but then unlike TB, none of us are billionaires (to my knowledge), so what we pay out for BHA is all relative to our own incomes.

BHA has existed for 117 years without being in the Premier League, and one way or the other it will continue to exist if (or likely when) we at some point drop out. In the meantime, if we can actually make HISTORY by winning some silverware along the way then I'll take that over finishing 17th every season, because winning something is ultimately what supporting a football club is supposed to be all about.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
So we're not allowed to dream of silverware, because we must instead worry about Tony's money on his behalf ? And by the way, THOUSANDS of us pay our money to watch BHAFC, week in week out. Do we pay as much as TB has put in ? No, of course not, but then unlike TB, none of us are billionaires (to my knowledge), so what we pay out for BHA is all relative to our own incomes.

BHA has existed for 117 years without being in the Premier League, and one way or the other it will continue to exist if (or likely when) we at some point drop out. In the meantime, if we can actually make HISTORY by winning some silverware along the way then I'll take that over finishing 17th every season, because winning something is ultimately what supporting a football club is supposed to be all about.

I think my first sentence should have been read, when I stated that ideally we go for both. Of course winning the cup would be history in the making and would be something we would savour for years but might be more years than you bargain for. I see that you have introduced a convenient element in mentioning 17th place, which was not the point. Yes, TB is a billionaire or whatever, and so if he is asked to put in more, and it is all relative to our incomes, as you say, you are also prepared to put in more, I assume, should we go down, if that is the price of winning the cup.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I think my first sentence should have been read, when I stated that ideally we go for both. Of course winning the cup would be history in the making and would be something we would savour for years but might be more years than you bargain for. I see that you have introduced a convenient element in mentioning 17th place, which was not the point. Yes, TB is a billionaire or whatever, and so if he is asked to put in more, and it is all relative to our incomes, as you say, you are also prepared to put in more, I assume, should we go down, if that is the price of winning the cup.

I'll continue buying a season ticket all the time I can afford it, just as I always have. Are you implying that ticket prices would go through the roof if we got relegated then ? Because I've never seen it happen before.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'll continue buying a season ticket all the time I can afford it, just as I always have. Are you implying that ticket prices would go through the roof if we got relegated then ? Because I've never seen it happen before.

No, not at all -that is yourself trying to exaggerate. But we cannot exclude the possibility that prices may go up if TB decides that his contribution would be less generous. I think that the cup has lost its magic somewhat, ( and let's face it, the club has not altogether taken it as seriously as we might have wanted)) and I deplore that as much as you do, but we have to be realistic. The PL has now becomes so vast that relegation is far more of a disaster than it ever would have been decades ago. Yes, you are right in that the club has bounced up and down over the years, but it is altogether far more difficult now to rejoin the PL, as so many clubs are desperate to keep (or get)their noses in the trough, for want of a better description.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No, not at all -that is yourself trying to exaggerate. But we cannot exclude the possibility that prices may go up if TB decides that his contribution would be less generous. I think that the cup has lost its magic somewhat, ( and let's face it, the club has not altogether taken it as seriously as we might have wanted)) and I deplore that as much as you do, but we have to be realistic. The PL has now becomes so vast that relegation is far more of a disaster than it ever would have been decades ago. Yes, you are right in that the club has bounced up and down over the years, but it is altogether far more difficult now to rejoin the PL, as so many clubs are desperate to keep (or get)their noses in the trough, for want of a better description.

Relegation from the Premier League is only a "disaster" if the club has overspent on players to get there, and then try and stay there. I have faith that TB and his off-field team have got that side of things well under control. The likes of Palace, who are burning through 80% of their turnover on players wages alone, still owe multi-millions to various clubs for expensive misfits, have made zero investment in infrastructure, and who routinely lose 10,000 fans off their gates when they're not in the Premier League, are far more exposed to disaster than then likes of BHA.

Relegation would be a sickener, of course it would. But it wouldn't bring about the apocalypse. And as the club is not a basketcase these days, we'd be well placed to make a return at some point.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Relegation from the Premier League is only a "disaster" if the club has overspent on players to get there, and then try and stay there. I have faith that TB and his off-field team have got that side of things well under control. The likes of Palace, who are burning through 80% of their turnover on players wages alone, still owe multi-millions to various clubs for expensive misfits, have made zero investment in infrastructure, and who routinely lose 10,000 fans off their gates when they're not in the Premier League, are far more exposed to disaster than then likes of BHA.

Relegation would be a sickener, of course it would. But it wouldn't bring about the apocalypse. And as the club is not a basketcase these days, we'd be well placed to make a return at some point.

If that is all totally true about Palace, then, as you say, they are potentially in a very perilous position, and yes, I also think that the club is well run and thus hopefully have given every thought as to what might happen should we go down. My only point of criticism, if I may, is your choice of words to make your position more palatable - I have not said that it would resemble an apocalypse, but that it would be much harder than we think to get back up again.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
If that is all totally true about Palace, then, as you say, they are potentially in a very perilous position, and yes, I also think that the club is well run and thus hopefully have given every thought as to what might happen should we go down. My only point of criticism, if I may, is your choice of words to make your position more palatable - I have not said that it would resemble an apocalypse, but that it would be much harder than we think to get back up again.

Thats all part of the ups and downs of supporting a club though innit. I'm under no illusions about how hard it would be to bounce back up, but we have a fine setup, a great owner, a manager who knows how its done, backed up with a good backroom of scouts and coaches. That will always give us a fighting chance.

I'd quite like to experience another Wigan as well, some day.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
[/B]

Relegation can and probably will happen regardless of cup runs so nope, we go for the CUP. What is the point otherwise. You are wrong. If Tony thinks that then he is wrong too (but he doesn’t so we’re ok). Part of the problem in football is the surrender monkey mentality of many fans, especially the Sky plastics who, because never set foot in a ground, want completely different things. To them I say this: off you f uck, begone! And I don’t recall seeing you at Gillingham either!!

Now, if we can all get back to agreeing with me please. I think you’ll find I’m RIGHT.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Relegation can and probably will happen regardless of cup runs so nope, we go for the CUP. What is the point otherwise. You are wrong. If Tony thinks that then he is wrong too (but he doesn’t so we’re ok). Part of the problem in football is the surrender monkey mentality of many fans, especially the Sky plastics who, because never set foot in a ground, want completely different things. To them I say this: off you f uck, begone! And I don’t recall seeing you at Gillingham either!!

Now, if we can all get back to agreeing with me please. I think you’ll find I’m RIGHT.

Have you been drinking?! I am struggling to totally understand the last bits! Yes, of course relegation will always happen - and I am not sure how you know what TB thinks. It is the consequences of relegation that need to be considered.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Thats all part of the ups and downs of supporting a club though innit. I'm under no illusions about how hard it would be to bounce back up, but we have a fine setup, a great owner, a manager who knows how its done, backed up with a good backroom of scouts and coaches. That will always give us a fighting chance.

I'd quite like to experience another Wigan as well, some day.

Yes, very true and we certainly do have the attributes that you mention. And, yes, another Wigan would be great to see, but let's not forget the millions that TB will have spent to get us there!!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Have you been drinking?! I am struggling to totally understand the last bits! Yes, of course relegation will always happen - and I am not sure how you know what TB thinks. It is the consequences of relegation that need to be considered.

Before Tony got into cards, it’s a little known fact he used to play Ker Plunk competitively which is how I know him. We were both on the circuit. Discussing 83 as you do, I distinctly remember him saying if we ever got back to the PL, faced relegation BUT had a chance of winning the cup we so nearly did, he’d take the cup. Now, we’ve not seen each other since those marble filled days but he’s old skool, he wants trophies. Being a top businessman he also wants financial success. In other words, he wants both and given our situation now, 3 extra glory filled games is nothing in grand scheme. Our League form has been pants anyway ie unaffected by the Cup. So we go for it, nice and together like and no one gets hurt see. In other words, I am RIGHT. I don’t want to keep pointing this out. But I am.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
I think my dread is that if we get to the semis and draw a big club, the FA will sting us all massively on ticket prices for what will very likely be a non-event of a game, and it will ultimately be a cripplingly expensive, inevitable disappointment based on the most miniscule ray of unavoidable hope. But anyway.

I will be in Athens on holiday for the semi #waiting for the final..

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
"If that is... true about Palace"?

It's in their accounts and attendance records.

Plus it's been discussed at length on here on hundreds of occasions, backed up by facts and figures. Even the Palace GOONS fail miserably to deny it. Because they can't.

Relegation would actually mean Armageddon for them. It will be a glorious thing when it finally happens. [emoji16]

Sue1983

Aug 15, 2018
28K is enough for each ST holder and some spare......all ST holder wont go.

I hope there will be enough for members. Due to work commitments I am unable to commit to a ST but I would still love to go if we get there.

Even though we loss the 83 final and reply is still one of the highlights for me. :bhasign:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here