Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wembley

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
The cup is a massive and extraordinarily dangerous distraction...we need to focus on staying in the PL, that's all that matters.

Really? Christ on a bike, should we phone for a policeman?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
I remember going to Lincoln City, standing on coal at Notts County, standing on an open terrace at Chelsea, being nearly strip searched at Sheffield, getting beaten up at Cardiff and getting done over by Cloughie.
But nothing compares to two visits to Wembley to see Brighton walk out at an FA Cup final. Nothing, not even promotion twice.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
The likes of Stoke, WBA, Wigan, Forest, Coventry, spent long periods as established premier league sides, but are no longer in it. Unless your the top 6 and Everton then you are always 1 poor season from relegation.

So another vote for the FA Cup, and I don't think we will go down this season anyway.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
ever since I was a kid I've only wanted 2 things to happen in football

England win the World Cup (I was alive but don't remember it)

Brighton win the FA Cup

and nothing's changed on that score

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I agree with those who've said .....

1) Winning the FA Cup would more important than staying up. I've seen us be relegated about 6 or 7 times. Yes, it bloody hurts and it would set the club back, but it's not forever. A trophy is.

2) It's not either / or. We could win the FA cup and stay up. In fact, statistically you're more likely to win games following a cup victory than a defeat (this was from a very old study I read in WSC, but there was a clear pattern at the time).

Diasgree with those who say ....

1) We can't win it while the Mancs are in it. They are one off games. We've beaten Man U twice recently and City have had a few serious shockers ..... and ....

2) We should dread a final or a semi against Palace. Can we all stop fearing that lot and let them start to fear us. This collective lack of self esteem and inferiority complex can transmit itself from the stands to the team. We need to stand taller.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
How many clubs have achieved that then?

I am not talking about 'any' club I saying what I hope the future will be for 'my' club and feel that a further 3 year build plan will put us in a great position to do what I have said.

some people might think that winning the FA Cup will be the greatest thing to happen to the club personally I was pretty high when we beat Wigan , we were at home on our territory and in most cases not having to worry about getting home.

Did Wembley in 83 so I know what a final feels like and even winning it probably would not have beaten that atmosphere at the Wigan game because we had got to the PL.

Each to their own.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cup for me - would be an epic event in the club’s history. Mr Bloom has referenced a few times when speaking how he’d love a trophy. He deserves it at least.....and we’d talk about it for years (probably more so than the promotion to the PL).

Having seen Derby last week as an example of the Championship, we’d have a pretty decent chance of coming back up if we did go down.

Man U have never properly outplayed us in the last 5 meetings - even the games we lost were close. Wouldn’t fear meeting them in a one-off game on neutral ground and doubt the players would either.

Last edited:

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
And got relegated, and probably had to let our most talented players leave, and then spend who knows how many seasons getting back to where we are now.

Surely the outlook should be win the FA Cup and stay in the PL

They left before we got relegated thats why we got relegated we are in a much better financial position this time around.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I wonder how many of the fans enjoying a selfie at a Wembley Cup Final will still be around if we do a Wigan or a Pompey and end up out of the Premier League. For me, it has to be Premier League survival and if need be, frankly I would applaud Chris if he felt he had to play a team of u23s in the Cup if we HAD to win the next game to ensure survival. We have blown the pleasure of actually enjoying and focusing on the Cup by our recent poor form in the league.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m already at Wemberleeeee in my mind, no way Millwall will beat us. They’re just a formality. So exciting, then if the Manchester Lot draw each other I can really see us in the Final. Already. Cup Fever eh?!! Bloody brilliant isn’t it!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Frankly, getting to the Final and/or winning it beats staying in the boring PL any day. We can do both but if I was given a choice winning a major cup is the only right answer. Anybody disagreeing is not only wrong, but in need of a good kickin to reset their central cognitive settings! Madness, absolute madness to choose PL over winning the cup!!

rigton70

Jul 5, 2003
I concur. However great it would be to beat them in a final, losing to them would just be too much to bear. We would never, ever live it down. And I have Palace in the family - sister married a Palace fan :nono:

You need a new sister.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Don't the winners of the FA Cup automatically qualify for the Europa League? So European football at the Amex.

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
I think my dread is that if we get to the semis and draw a big club, the FA will sting us all massively on ticket prices for what will very likely be a non-event of a game, and it will ultimately be a cripplingly expensive, inevitable disappointment based on the most miniscule ray of unavoidable hope. But anyway.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
...staying in the PL, that's all that matters.

It really isn't though, is it? If that was the case, we wouldn't have kept showing up when we were 92nd in the league or when we were 91st in the league and in sodding Gillingham.

The club is all that matters. Where the club happens to be resting at any one time is neither here nor there. I'll keep coming back for more regardless.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here