Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Bum bandits

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Never been to an away game at Millwall. Would love to go to this one with 13-year-old daughter. Is that a good idea and is there any advice that veterans of New Den awaydays would offer us?

I'm not really anticipating trouble but I'd like to keep the entire experience as hassle-free as possible, assuming we get tickets.

There are no problems these days - and Brighton and Millwall have never really had any issues.They really hate Palace too!

They'll be some posturing, but not much else.

My son was 14 when he first went to Millwall away - on his own.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Can’t wait, just hope I can get a ticket. It’s a brilliant day out.

I like their irreverence.

Jimmy Grimble

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
There are no problems these days - and Brighton and Millwall have never really had any issues.They really hate Palace too!

Millwall away is perfectly safe if you want it to be.. It can also be very lively if you want it to be.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
When I was in the Navy, I had a good mate who was a Millwall STH, and I went several times and stayed at his house in Bermondsey. A weekend there would often include a game at Cold Blow Lane, although I never went to any against risky teams.
They were a bit like us, would never think they were better than they were, and took the piss out of their own team as much as the opposition.
I did get a fair amount of abuse for being a sailor, and an Albion fan, but nearly all of it was in fun rather than malicious.
Jess, the lad I stayed with ., used to know a lot of their top hoolies and although as a group they were a bunch of ********s, on their own, a couple of them wee alright.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
judging by NSC today it seems everyone is shitting their pants and its f ing ridiculous.

Millwall are alright.

You should take her , would be absolutely fine

Agree. Millwall is a great day out, done it many a time, never seen any trouble. We sound pathetic bleating on about 'homophobia' if you can't deal with it don't go, do some flower arranging for the afternoon. Much prefer the atmosphere Millwall generate than the usual tennis match 'atmosphere' you get at so many grounds nowadays.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Agree. Millwall is a great day out, done it many a time, never seen any trouble. We sound pathetic bleating on about 'homophobia' if you can't deal with it don't go, do some flower arranging for the afternoon. Much prefer the atmosphere Millwall generate than the usual tennis match 'atmosphere' you get at so many grounds nowadays.

If there is never any trouble there then why do they have to keep a lower tier closed and reduce away attendances?

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

You're missing the point. It isn't about straight people putting up with the banter, it's about the gay people in sections of both crowds who are basically hearing 1000s chanting negative things about being gay. Such chants can have a lasting impact on them. Plus crowds should be able to create a good atmosphere without discriminating against minority groups.

Peter Grummit

Oct 13, 2004
Lewes
Virgo scored didn't he?
https://www.11v11.com/matches/millwall-v-brighton-and-hove-albion-21-february-2009-284406/

If I remember rightly, it was just after their troubles with West Ham and some brainiac from the Brighton fans started signing "bubbles" on the way back to the station. A fun journey to London Bridge had by all......
Correct. And whilst the singers were safely a few yards back in the covered cage, muggins here was waiting for the station gates to reopen at just the point where the home and away queues merge. Never have my shoes looked so attractive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
You're missing the point. It isn't about straight people putting up with the banter, it's about the gay people in sections of both crowds who are basically hearing 1000s chanting negative things about being gay. Such chants can have a lasting impact on them. Plus crowds should be able to create a good atmosphere without discriminating against minority groups.

Yes must be so upsetting hearing 'we can see you holding hands' poor little lambs. If I was gay it wouldn't bother me one bit to hear such chants at football. Football should be played in a tribal and edgy atmosphere and if it offends you go and find another sport to watch.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yes must be so upsetting hearing 'we can see you holding hands' poor little lambs. If I was gay it wouldn't bother me one bit to hear such chants at football. Football should be played in a tribal and edgy atmosphere and if it offends you go and find another sport to watch.

Are black people fair game as well then ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I've visited the New Den a fair few times now using both the coach and train. With a young daughter I would suggest the coach as it's so straightforward. Fans will be held back after the match so at least you'll have somewhere to sit in the dry if it's chucking it down. As for using the train, the police have this mostly down to a fine art. They get the Millwall fans well away from the station before allowing away fans up to the trains, from there it is usually hassle free until you get to London Bridge where again there will be a police presence. It will likely kick off somewhere but if you keep aware of your surroundings you'll be fine. For a fair few Brighton fans this is the best part of proceedings it seems to me but I just head out and find a pub away from all the bother. Even writing this I think I'm making out to be so much worse than it actually is. Millwall seem to believe their own hype. They, as a crowd, are not that loud let alone intimidating. There will be gestures towards us but really you will be laughing at them more than anything else. The Den is not a patch on Elland Road for a hostile atmosphere that's for sure.
They are now living off bother against Everton but from what I've seen all that took place around the pubs at Surrey Quays where Everton fans, looking for trouble, had prior knowledge of where pockets of Millwall fans drank pre-match and went searching for easy pickings. You can avoid all this easily with your young daughter. But take my advice: just take the coach

Most factual and sensible post on the subject to date. Only other thing I would add would be - Arrive early. The later trains will be full

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
Have been to The Den and New Den many times and have never seen any trouble between Brighton and Millwall. Intimidating? Yes they get behind their team and do a lot of posturing in the ground with certain sign language offered both ways but I don't think they consider "our lot" worth the effort. Ive been up there and seen more Police on horseback than away fans! Pretty save in my opinion for our fans.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
If there is never any trouble there then why do they have to keep a lower tier closed and reduce away attendances?

It's a ''police directive''. It allows them to concentrate more ''manpower'' away from the stadium where fans intent on causing trouble away from the ground. Safety of fans has to be paramount. It's a good policy I think

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

The fact that we are even having this discussion means that some people do find it offensive. Football has become family entertainment now and such chants have no place in football now. That said. The Brighton fans responses to the chanting is sometimes brilliant and really funny. They know how to ''hold their own'' in humorous football banter

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent

Has he made it back yet ?

Common as Mook

Not Posh as Fook
Jul 26, 2004
Correct. And whilst the singers were safely a few yards back in the covered cage, muggins here was waiting for the station gates to reopen at just the point where the home and away queues merge. Never have my shoes looked so attractive.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I ws right there with you in the trenches. A lovely sound of coins and stones pinging around the cage as well.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
Gutted I'm missing this with work here on the ship, be a great day out. Hope we get both tiers so we have a chance to really add to the atmosphere. I go back to the 70's when had some proper ding dongs with Millwall.
I have a lot of respect for all genuine supporters of all teams, but I think Millwall's problem is the type they attract & that latch on, especially for higher profile games. They're more interested in being an extra from a scene in Football Factory. Some of those types I've come across down the years are mostly from the shires!
Let's face it, if you want grief, you'll find it easy enough at Millwall, as the scousers recently discovered. But for a great day, great atmosphere, fast & frenetic English cup football, then it's a great draw.
Having said that, you can bet that some of their lot will really let the club down on the day.

Players need to be briefed though!

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here