Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abuse in Football: How Brighton are tackling fan behaviour [BBC Sport]

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Someone posted a list of clubs that ban these containers/tops and it was not very many in my recollection. There are loads easier ways to commit mass murder, and in any case the Ariana Grande bombing took place after the concert when people were leaving. That seems effective and no amount of searching/banning items can prevent that.

Sorry to labor the point (and continue the off-topic direction), so was it counter terrorism related then, as that's what you seem to be suggesting now?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Barber BS. I for one will judge him and his team on their response to flares being allowed to burn unchallenged three rows up from the front in the Palace end in the fake news knives and knuckledusters game. Just like Sussex plod finding it far easier to march a large group of hapless Palace scarfers the long way round town than challenge the mini ninjas in black, so Barber adopts a pathetic tough guy stance towards the 99.999 recurring percentage of Albion fans who wouldn't say boo to a goose. Not normally a fan of the loonies on the Argus Comments section, but very many of them called fault with Barber's hectoring tone in response to the Roger Lewis letter.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
I would be interested in whether people are allowed to take flasks into rugby grounds or whether they have the bottle tops removed. I know they can drink alcohol whilst watching the game. My suspicion is that they can take flasks in and keep their bottle tops so the argument is not about terrorism it is about football fans and that as the rule is applied to us all then we are all tarred with same brush that we are closet hooligans.

Do I worry about this, not particularly but let's not dressup what is the 'establishments' view of football fans as anything other than what it is - bias. The funny thing is fans have moved on in general the establishment view hasn't.

CAPTAIN GREALISH

Jan 6, 2010
Lots of PB...

"Coming back to Brighton was an interesting experience because it is a very diverse city. It is a welcoming city. It is totally inclusive. People accept people for who they are, what they are, however they want to be."

"Over the past 12 to 18 months, I have seen some of the [70s/80s hooliganism] I witnessed growing up creeping back. Some of the characters who created the trouble are beginning to lurk on the edges of football again and one or two young people are being influenced.

"There will be some who criticise us for being too harsh, or for raising our heads above the parapet and putting the club into a position it doesn't need to be in. But someone has to do it."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47237474

pathetic its brighton not bloody millwall

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
Barber BS. I for one will judge him and his team on their response to flares being allowed to burn unchallenged three rows up from the front in the Palace end in the fake news knives and knuckledusters game. Just like Sussex plod finding it far easier to march a large group of hapless Palace scarfers the long way round town than challenge the mini ninjas in black, so Barber adopts a pathetic tough guy stance towards the 99.999 recurring percentage of Albion fans who wouldn't say boo to a goose. Not normally a fan of the loonies on the Argus Comments section, but very many of them called fault with Barber's hectoring tone in response to the Roger Lewis letter.

Bārabāra bi'ēsa. Āmi ēkēra jan'ya jāla ni'uja churi ēbaṁ nakalaḍāsṭārsa gēmēra prāsāda śēṣēra sāmanē thēkē sāmanēra tinaṭi sārikē agnikuṇḍēra bārāndāẏa bārna karāra anumati dēẏāra jan'ya tāra ō tāra dalakē tāra bicārēra bicāra karaba. Sāsēksa plyāḍēra matō ēṭi hyāpalēsa pyālēsēra ēkaṭi baṛa dalaṭikē mārkēṭinẏēra jan'ya anēka sahaja karē tulachē, ēṭi kālō mini miniñja kālōtē cyālēñja karāra cēẏē lambā rā'unḍa śaharakē skārpha karē. Tā'i bārabāra ayālabanēra bhaktadēra 99.999 Bārēra bārṣika byabadhānē pratibandhakatāra jan'ya dr̥ṛha byākti grahaṇa karēna. Ēkaṭi gōm̐ja yā'ō boo baluna. Ārgāsa mantabya bibhāgē sādhāraṇata lannisēra phyāna naẏa, tabē rajāra lēbhisēra ciṭhira pratikriẏāẏa tādēra anēkē'i bārabārēra hēkṭariṁ sbara diẏē dōṣārōpa karēchēna.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Bārabāra bi'ēsa. Āmi ēkēra jan'ya jāla ni'uja churi ēbaṁ nakalaḍāsṭārsa gēmēra prāsāda śēṣēra sāmanē thēkē sāmanēra tinaṭi sārikē agnikuṇḍēra bārāndāẏa bārna karāra anumati dēẏāra jan'ya tāra ō tāra dalakē tāra bicārēra bicāra karaba. Sāsēksa plyāḍēra matō ēṭi hyāpalēsa pyālēsēra ēkaṭi baṛa dalaṭikē mārkēṭinẏēra jan'ya anēka sahaja karē tulachē, ēṭi kālō mini miniñja kālōtē cyālēñja karāra cēẏē lambā rā'unḍa śaharakē skārpha karē. Tā'i bārabāra ayālabanēra bhaktadēra 99.999 Bārēra bārṣika byabadhānē pratibandhakatāra jan'ya dr̥ṛha byākti grahaṇa karēna. Ēkaṭi gōm̐ja yā'ō boo baluna. Ārgāsa mantabya bibhāgē sādhāraṇata lannisēra phyāna naẏa, tabē rajāra lēbhisēra ciṭhira pratikriẏāẏa tādēra anēkē'i bārabārēra hēkṭariṁ sbara diẏē dōṣārōpa karēchēna.

That's easy for YOU to say :lolol:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Isn't it good cop (Tony Bloom) bad cop (Paul Barber) at work here?
Wasnt PB brought in by TB to do the dirty work and make those decisions that needed making.
Even if it does divide some sections.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Isn't it good cop (Tony Bloom) bad cop (Paul Barber) at work here?
Wasnt PB brought in by TB to do the dirty work and make those decisions that needed making.

Would hope that neither of them is daft enough to embark on a crusade to stamp out a return to the dark days of 70s/80s hooliganism at the Amex that frankly doesn't exist. IMHO you'd have a far more annoying/threatening day out at your local Odeon.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019

There's a degree of truth in that, certainly 'goes with the job'. I do though think that PB genuinely believes he is working for the greater good of the club, and that he is sincere in that regard. That doesn't mean I agree with everything he does or says, but I think he has been turned into something of a pantomime villain.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Would hope that neither of them is daft enough to embark on a crusade to stamp out a return to the dark days of 70s/80s hooliganism at the Amex that frankly doesn't exist. IMHO you'd have a far more annoying/threatening day out at your local Odeon.

Totally agree chap, but I think that preventitive is better than nothing, sometimes.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I’m not taking either side in this because it has absolutely zero impact on my life, but, if the banning of bottle tops and flasks is terror related, isn’t it for the same reason you can’t take liquids onto aircraft, which everyone seems to accept as a sensible precaution against the assorted loonies trying to blow up aeroplanes.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I went with a mate and his young lads on Saturday who hadn't been for a few years. On the approach I told him they'd have to take the lids off their bottled drinks. He seriously thought I was on a wind-up and wouldn't believe it, till he saw people in the queue surrendering their lids. Baffled and bemused looks all round.

It truly is bobbins, isn't it.

No more bobbins than it is at half the other grounds in the country, any major gig venue etc etc. Been the case for years.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Ok, thanks. Don't suppose you have a link to anything where that is officially stated please? I like to know these things for sure if I'm going to pass further comment on them.

Bottle tops: https://www.brightonandhovealbion.com/news/2019/january/supporters-reminded-on-prohibited-items/

I can't find any mention of terrorism in relation to flasks, it was mentioned on the flask megathread but I can't find a direct quote from the club:https://www.northstandchat.com/showthread.php?366302-Flasks-banned-from-the-Amex

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
I've said it before but Brighton's is one of the most comfortable, welcoming stadiums there are - I've commented in the past that Barber is a little thin skinned but here I just don't have a clue what he's talking about, a return to the 70s/80s? in the 2018/2019 Premier League? It's about as far away from the 70s and 80s as one could possibly imagine (and I don't think that's 100% a good thing). Odd, odd, odd....

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here