Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abuse in Football: How Brighton are tackling fan behaviour [BBC Sport]

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
A tumble back down the leagues and all this bottle top, flasks and bans will soon be forgotten. Crowd disturbances away at Oxford, Lincoln won’t be mentioned it’s all bollocks. The drive is trying to keep the PL plastics happy for now so they can enjoy a peaceful Saturday at football and spend spend spend.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
I think it's worth remembering that some of the victims of the recent violence have been club employees, as well as fans. Not sure some of the more cynical on here would be quite so cynical if similar happened to some of their colleagues whilst they were just doing their jobs.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
[ QUOTE=Originally Posted by Tom Hark, Preston Park View Post
Would hope that neither of them is daft enough to embark on a crusade to stamp out a return to the dark days of 70s/80s hooliganism at the Amex that frankly doesn't exist. IMHO you'd have a far more annoying/threatening day out at your local Odeon.QUOTE]

Totally agree chap, but I think that preventitive is better than nothing, sometimes.

Whereas I wouldn't at all disagree with all this nor TH's previous post suggesting 99.9% of our fans are no threat whatsoever.

The only problem is that on match days that percentage increases to 10% or even 15% (FA Cup) if my percentages are correct ?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Would hope that neither of them is daft enough to embark on a crusade to stamp out a return to the dark days of 70s/80s hooliganism at the Amex that frankly doesn't exist. IMHO you'd have a far more annoying/threatening day out at your local Odeon.QUOTE]

Whereas I wouldn't at all disagree with all this nor TH's previous post suggesting 99.9% of our fans are no threat whatsoever.

The only problem is that on match days that percentage increases to 10% or even 15% (FA Cup) if my percentages are correct ?

Are you saying that on a matchday 10% of our fans are a threat? If that's what you mean, you have got to be kidding! Have you seen our fans? Most of us wouldn't say boo to a goose let alone throw a bottle, or pick a fight with someone.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
Are you saying that on a matchday 10% of our fans are a threat? If that's what you mean, you have got to be kidding! Have you seen our fans? Most of us wouldn't say boo to a goose let alone throw a bottle, or pick a fight with someone.

Not at all, I am suggesting that on matchdays there is a 'potential' percentage for indiscretion equating to the percentage of visiting fans plus, of course, the 0.01% of home fans. Sorry if I was unclear !

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Sorry, but your percentages are absurd.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think it's worth remembering that some of the victims of the recent violence have been club employees, as well as fans. Not sure some of the more cynical on here would be quite so cynical if similar happened to some of their colleagues whilst they were just doing their jobs.

Violence? Eh? Was even a hair ruffled during this ‘violence’? You do know you can be charged with assault without touching someone? Just being shouty, cross, angry looking is enough and that’s before the Police make stuff up which, believe it or not, has happened! The law is extremely easy to manipulate, ask any barrister!

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Btw, heaven help you if you ever stand accused of something you’re utterly innocent of. Despite being found innocent, I know several people who have had their lives wrecked by ridiculous accusations and part of the problem seems to be the overly dramatic representation of said events using highly emotional / extreme word-smithery to manipulate we the sheep looking on. Christ, newsfeeds are full of such examples every day and that’s before you even include the fake news ones!

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
Violence? Eh? Was even a hair ruffled during this ‘violence’? You do know you can be charged with assault without touching someone? Just being shouty, cross, angry looking is enough and that’s before the Police make stuff up which, believe it or not, has happened! The law is extremely easy to manipulate, ask any barrister!

I recall the word 'attacked' and / or 'assaulted' being used. I am indeed aware that assault does not necessarily have to be physical, but in non-physical cases this is normally specifically mentioned, i.e. 'verbally assaulted', 'verbally abused' etc. I didn't witness any of the events first-hand so I accept I'm open to being manipulated, just not convinced I am, nor indeed why the club or anyone else would seek to do so.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Btw, heaven help you if you ever stand accused of something you’re utterly innocent of. Despite being found innocent, I know several people who have had their lives wrecked by ridiculous accusations and part of the problem seems to be the overly dramatic representation of said events using highly emotional / extreme word-smithery to manipulate we the sheep looking on. Christ, newsfeeds are full of such examples every day and that’s before you even include the fake news ones!

Given the cuts to the justice system of you are ever being prosecuted for something you're innocent of and you're not rich enough to go private the solicitors will want you to plead guilty because it's the only option with a realistic chance of them turning a profit.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton

Agree with both your last two posts. Just ask the three Brighton fans still banned from all football after being arrested by the Barnsley stand manager and six of his stewards who started the trouble. The cowardly stand manager instigated the trouble and then took them out of view of the CCT, so that he could land a few good body punches on them whist they were being held by the other stewards. Then handed over to the Barnsley police and who do you think they believed, the three fans or the Stand Manager steward?
I witnessed a steward in the West Stand Upper in the Burnley match, he pushed through fans in the front row, without even an excuse me or a sorry to the innocent fans who he was blocking their view. He then stood there shouting at a fan (from a safe distance) in a very aggressive manner to stop banging on the advertising boards in front of him. Now this may have been done for safety reasons, but a quick please don't do that sir would have been suffice. I do wonder sometimes do these stewards get proper training on incident management. How are they monitored on how they deal with the public?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I recall the word 'attacked' and / or 'assaulted' being used. I am indeed aware that assault does not necessarily have to be physical, but in non-physical cases this is normally specifically mentioned, i.e. 'verbally assaulted', 'verbally abused' etc. I didn't witness any of the events first-hand so I accept I'm open to being manipulated, just not convinced I am, nor indeed why the club or anyone else would seek to do so.

Far more physical and intended harm goes on in front of thousands ie the pitch! Yet these are called tackles. If compared, far more ‘violence’ is done here and yet when applied to a given situation, guess which one gets the headlines? Just demonstrating the absurdity of things and how words manipulate or change dynamics completely.

The dog growled quietly

The big dog growled with some noise

The big dog growled menacingly, it’s teeth bared

The big dog growled menacingly, it’s sharp teeth bared ready to bite

The big dog growled menacingly, it’s sharp teeth bared ready to bite...into the juicy steak it was perhaps dreaming about as it slept fitfully

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Please Mr Barber stop using our club to promote your own advancement in the football world and go about your job quietly like many other people in similar positions in other clubs, people who do the job professionally with such a low profile many of us fans could not name them

Millwall chief executive Steve Kavanagh had a similar long interview about racist chants and fan behaviour on the BBC Sport site a few weeks ago: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47033129

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One of the justifications I've seen is that if someone steps on a bottle that has a lid on it, they could slip over :rolleyes:

The horror.

Bloody right - done it twice during the London marathon as there are about 500,000 half-filled, capped bottles littering the route by the time I plod through. NASTY ankle strain...........'6 weeks out', 'close' 'back in training soon' etc :)

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Please Mr Barber stop using our club to promote your own advancement in the football world and go about your job quietly like many other people in similar positions in other clubs, people who do the job professionally with such a low profile many of us fans could not name them

Very well said sir :clap2:

Be interesting to see how long PB sticks around in the event of an Albion relegation. His ridiculous showboating on this pretty much non-issue smacks of him positioning himself for his next career move.

Might be wrong tho, eh?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Be interesting to see how long PB sticks around in the event of an Albion relegation. His ridiculous showboating on this pretty much non-issue smacks of him positioning himself for his next career move.
Might be wrong tho, eh?

Why do you think that talking about incidents where a fan threatens to stab a female member of your team is "ridiculous showboating" or that racist/homophobic chanting are "non issues" ?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Why do you think that talking about incidents where a fan threatens to stab a female member of your team is "ridiculous showboating" or that racist/homophobic chanting are "non issues" ?

It was THREE pissed-up wankers out of a crowd of THIRTY THOUSAND. Your organ-grinder is doing far more damage than good to the club with his ridiculous posturing. Back in the real world, the Amex pretty much resembles a creche most match days. Maybe PB should venture out of his directors box and take a walk on the wild side, tiptoe through the North Stand, sometime. Like Martin Perry used to do on a regular basis in his naff blue anorak. No minders required :lol:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011

Might be wrong tho, eh?

Bet you ain't tho!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Bloody right - done it twice during the London marathon as there are about 500,000 half-filled, capped bottles littering the route by the time I plod through. NASTY ankle strain...........'6 weeks out', 'close' 'back in training soon' etc :)

Well you should look where you're bloody going then :p

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here