Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abuse in Football: How Brighton are tackling fan behaviour [BBC Sport]

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Lots of PB...

"Coming back to Brighton was an interesting experience because it is a very diverse city. It is a welcoming city. It is totally inclusive. People accept people for who they are, what they are, however they want to be."

"Over the past 12 to 18 months, I have seen some of the [70s/80s hooliganism] I witnessed growing up creeping back. Some of the characters who created the trouble are beginning to lurk on the edges of football again and one or two young people are being influenced.

"There will be some who criticise us for being too harsh, or for raising our heads above the parapet and putting the club into a position it doesn't need to be in. But someone has to do it."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47237474

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I agree with zero tolerance for the kind of behavior listed in the article. However Barber risks alienating a lot of fans with his petty rules.

I wish i could still take a flask and stood in a puddle of something or other on Saturday due to a bottle with no top being kicked over but I doubt the vast majority of fans, or Amex visitors will re: the "petty rules" a) care b) notice c) think they are anything to do with Barber. d) if they know who he is, that is.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Lots of PB...

"Coming back to Brighton was an interesting experience because it is a very diverse city. It is a welcoming city. It is totally inclusive. People accept people for who they are, what they are, however they want to be."

"Over the past 12 to 18 months, I have seen some of the [70s/80s hooliganism] I witnessed growing up creeping back. Some of the characters who created the trouble are beginning to lurk on the edges of football again and one or two young people are being influenced.

"There will be some who criticise us for being too harsh, or for raising our heads above the parapet and putting the club into a position it doesn't need to be in. But someone has to do it."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47237474

Yup, your boss PB will be well pleased you've earnt you weekly keep by ampifying his comments on here. Well played. At least on one level...

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I went with a mate and his young lads on Saturday who hadn't been for a few years. On the approach I told him they'd have to take the lids off their bottled drinks. He seriously thought I was on a wind-up and wouldn't believe it, till he saw people in the queue surrendering their lids. Baffled and bemused looks all round.

It truly is bobbins, isn't it.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I wish i could still take a flask and stood in a puddle of something or other on Saturday due to a bottle with no top being kicked over but I doubt the vast majority of fans, or Amex visitors will re: the "petty rules" a) care b) notice c) think they are anything to do with Barber. d) if they know who he is, that is.

I said a lot of fans not majority. I know you are okay with it and I am happy for you that it doesn't impact you enough to spoil your day. I am not speaking either of the alienation being directed towards Barber. More importantly, being directed at the club that I love. Small losses of freedoms and small losses of enjoyment do amount to something. But hey, let's all go along without dissent as we should just suck it up and stop complaining and become compliant for the corporate machine.

I wonder how much these rules would be enacted on were we to suffer a fall down the leagues?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I went with a mate and his young lads on Saturday who hadn't been for a few years. On the approach I told him they'd have to take the lids off their bottled drinks. He seriously thought I was on a wind-up and wouldn't believe it, till he saw people in the queue surrendering their lids. Baffled and bemused looks all round.

It truly is bobbins, isn't it.

Bobbins? Well yes, yes it is. But apparently 'the majority don't care'. Personally I think that stance is a very lousy attitude.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I said a lot of fans not majority. I know you are okay with it

I didn't say i'm ok with it and i gave two examples where it impacted upon my day. I'd rather not stand in puddles of coke etc and i'd rather bring a flask that said . I just think we overstate on here how much of this impacts on the vast majority of fans who a) don't care b) don't notice c) don't give two hoots about PB or know who he is.

PS: the article isn't about flasks.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I didn't say i'm ok with it. I just think we overstate how much of this impacts on the vast majority of fans who a) don't care b) don't notice c) don't give two hoots about PB or know who he is.

But as I said, it doesn't matter whether they know who Barber is or not, it is about the perception of the club and certainly in the circles of people I know, who have mostly been supporters through thick and thin from the 70's onwards, there is a feeling that these decisions, whilst relatively small in the grand scheme, are out of touch and an over-reaction.

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patreon
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
I think Barber is being very honest with his opinion but he's not doing the club any favours by mentioning isolated incidents or it's a return "to the bad old days" attitude. They've been or being dealt with by the police and courts so I think it should be left there. Considering the attendance figures, the very, very vast majority of fans do behave themselves. I can think of some bad incidents at the Goldstone in the latter years, a couple at Withdean but those were far smaller crowds.

This is a family club and I'm very pleased that my nephew has chosen Brighton and Hove Albion to support and recently started to attend when you have all the plastic Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs/Manc fans in the school playground.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
How has a good article that speaks volumes about what a decent and progressive club we support been turned into another load of Bottle-top-gate nonsense?

Asking for a friend.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
How has a good article that speaks volumes about what a decent and progressive club we support been turned into another load of Bottle-top-gate nonsense?

Asking for a friend.

Because the stupid rules were introduced with these kind of isolated incidents as an excuse. You'd have to ask Mr Barber for the explanation of why more serious events led us here.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Were they? I thought the bottle top and flask rules were counter terrorism-related, as they are in most venues.

The flask ban was introduced with terrorism as the excuse, but the bottle top was due to people luzzing bottles. That has happened at the Amex less than a handful of times I believe with over 5 million distinct visits. As I said, another over-reaction.

Miserable Les

Jan 17, 2019
but the bottle top was due to people luzzing bottles. That has happened at the Amex less than a handful of times I believe with over 5 million distinct visits. As I said, another over-reaction.

I must admit I haven't seen that stated anywhere officially, but I may have missed it if it was. Strange though, as the two items are usually restricted in most venues for the same reason - the ability to mix chemicals in them and turn them into a bomb.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I must admit I haven't seen that stated anywhere officially, but I may have missed it if it was. Strange though, as the two items are usually restricted in most venues for the same reason - the ability to mix chemicals in them and turn them into a bomb.

Someone posted a list of clubs that ban these containers/tops and it was not very many in my recollection. There are loads easier ways to commit mass murder, and in any case the Ariana Grande bombing took place after the concert when people were leaving. That seems effective and no amount of searching/banning items can prevent that.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here