Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Abuse in Football: How Brighton are tackling fan behaviour [BBC Sport]

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Getting a bit bored with the whole bottle top thing, you would think the Amex is the only place in the country you can’t take them. I’ve be to every away game so far this season and I think I’ve only been able to keep my top in a couple of them. It’s not a PB thing it’s a PL thing and as others have mentioned numerous times it also happens at plenty of other venues including concert and cinemas so please please please give it a rest:ffsparr:

If it was a PL thing lids would have been banned from the start of last season.

Never heard of having a lid taken off at the cinema, news to me that one.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've been to cinemas all over the country and not once have I ever been told I can't take a bottle top in. I've been to numerous theatres (including venues like the royal albert hall, brighton centre) in the last couple of years and not once have I been told I can't take a bottle top in. I've never been told I can't take my thermos water flask in either.

Had the ban came in when we got promoted, or an edict come out from the premier league over the summer 'it's a premier league thing' might hold water. It's not, it's a club thing. Other clubs may have also chosen to do it, doesn't mean we have to like it or agree with it.

If you're bored with it, why not stop reading the thread when it goes on to that topic, and not get involved?
This.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Here's a thing Paul, go to the cup game at Millwall and watch what proper disorder, hooliganism and abusive chanting looks like.

Then get back to us.

n1 gull

Jul 25, 2003
Hurstpierpoint
Given that the article is about (mostly racist) abuse not flasks isn't Barber right?

My take on this is he's referring to the likes of the Football Lads Alliance. Haven't there been reports of our fans and others singing Tommy Robinson songs?

This thread is confusing as it doesn't really have anything to do with the article.

He is forever banging on about fans behaviour, it's not just this article. He is a tiresome bore and I wish he'd shut up

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
He is forever banging on about fans behaviour, it's not just this article. He is a tiresome bore and I wish he'd shut up
Agreed. Taking this quote from the article "Barber says the feedback they have received has been overwhelmingly positive - from their own fans and supporters of other clubs too.". If this thread is anything to go by he has got that statement wrong. Please Mr Barber stop using our club to promote your own advancement in the football world and go about your job quietly like many other people in similar positions in other clubs, people who do the job professionally with such a low profile many of us fans could not name them

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Agreed. Taking this quote from the article "Barber says the feedback they have received has been overwhelmingly positive - from their own fans and supporters of other clubs too.". If this thread is anything to go by he has got that statement wrong. Please Mr Barber stop using our club to promote your own advancement in the football world and go about your job quietly like many other people in similar positions in other clubs, people who do the job professionally with such a low profile many of us fans could not name them

Don't be stupid, the majority of football fans wouldn't know who Paul Barber is, unless they have read this or similar articles. We know who he is because he is Brighton's CEO. I dare say other clubs fans would know their CEO's name too, we just don't see everything that goes on elsewhere or analyse or disect every edict from other clubs but ours!

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
Don't be stupid, the majority of football fans wouldn't know who Paul Barber is, unless they have read this article. We know who he is because he is Brighton's CEO. I dare say other clubs fans would know their CEO's name too, we just don't see everything that goes on elsewhere or analyse or disect every edict from other clubs but ours!
Palace fans certainly know who Barber is, can you name their CEO? His we are premier league ready statement gave them hours of fun

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Agreed. Taking this quote from the article "Barber says the feedback they have received has been overwhelmingly positive - from their own fans and supporters of other clubs too.". If this thread is anything to go by he has got that statement wrong.

I trust Barber is saying this in good faith but not sure what this thread has to do with it. The (negative) feedback on here is nearly all about bottle tops and flasks and security. The article and quote is actually about the clubs zero tolerance of racist and homophobic chants/abuse and the reaction to the violence of fans to staff / other fans last month at WBA.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
He is forever banging on about fans behaviour, it's not just this article.

Then he's no different to NSC posters who have posted endless threads about the racism and homophobic chanting from other fans, quoting tweets, other fans forums, discussing arrests and so on.

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
I trust Barber is saying this in good faith but not sure what this thread has to do with it. The (negative) feedback on here is nearly all about bottle tops and flasks and security. The article and quote is actually about the clubs zero tolerance of racist and homophobic chants/abuse and the reaction to the violence of fans to staff / other fans last month at WBA.
I think that some people on here, me included think some of his statements are giving a false impression of what it is like to attend a game at the Amex

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Were they? I thought the bottle top and flask rules were counter terrorism-related, as they are in most venues.

So I challenge you to explain (as others haven't been able to):-

1) In what way is a fizzy pop bottle top a security risk?

2) What has happened in the past 6 months that makes a fizzy pop bottle top a security risk NOW when it wasn't before?

fosters headband

Aug 15, 2003
Brighton
That's simply because like many on here, Palace fans take way too much interest in our club, as we do theirs... Oh and in reply to your question, Philip Alexander, and that wasn't Googled!
I didn't know that. Does he have any famous quotes or published thoughts on the state of football in this country like Mr Barber

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Given that the article is about (mostly racist) abuse not flasks isn't Barber right?

My take on this is he's referring to the likes of the Football Lads Alliance. Haven't there been reports of our fans and others singing Tommy Robinson songs?

This thread is confusing as it doesn't really have anything to do with the article.

I've not heard Brighton fans singing Tommy Robinson songs, nor heard reports of it. If it is happening it would be all over here. It's not been.

He said:

"Over the past 12 to 18 months, I have seen some of the things I witnessed growing up (in the 70s and 80s) creeping back. Some of the characters who created the trouble are beginning to lurk on the edges of football again and one or two young people are being influenced."

That's generalising with no specific reference to racism or homophobia. In my humble opinion it's also unjustified scaremongering.

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I read the article feeling it suggested that our fan-base, our Club has been highlighted as being on the wrong end of homophobic abuse and as a Club BHAFC have been at the vanguard of trying to change that. Consequently it is incumbent upon the Club to take the same measure of reaction to any fans of our own who might abuse/threaten another person whilst attending our games. His view is that there are more incidents of this nature and that football needs to acknowledge the trend and react sooner rather than later in terms of trying to stamp it out. It would have been good to see his view backed up with some stats (I am sure he gets them) but I read it with his desire to ensure that we keep the fans experience to be as positive as it has been in terms of trouble or the lack of it. I didn't read it as a damning indictment of our behaviour as a fan group, or feel that he is massively disconnected to us all. He was rather emotional in his Argus reply to what was an emotional rant at the Club - but I guess he also feels he should publicly stand up for his team of employees who are making decisions/recommendations to keep improving things..

I don't see it as very different to the new fan queuing system at Lewes station this season - for me it is solving an issue that didn't exist, and I find it frustrating, but I guess someone else has to make decisions, implement new processes, probably for the greater good or as a reaction to potential , perceived risk. PB wont be making decisions on this kind of stuff for the sake of it

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
Christ on a bike i can almost see it now !

Anybody seen to be Lurking will be dealt with in the same way as all my other Looney Tune ideas , those youngsters deemed to be under the influence of Lurk will also be dealt with some sort of Draconian curfew last imposed by the mayor of Transylvania .

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Lest we forget:

Paul Barber BHAFC join date: 18 June 2012 [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] NSC join date: 27 June 2012

Well I never, gorblimey, who'd have thought it etc etc.

All hail the BarberBot :bowdown:

So bloody what ? Really not sure why [MENTION=24867]chaileyjem[/MENTION] gets such a hard time on here.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here