Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yves Bissouma learning English

The-Libertine

May 2, 2006
Chris Hughton on Yves Bissouma (from the Club website)

“He’s having English lessons and he’s improving — but probably not to the level where he’s comfortable. The most important thing is ability, but it can’t not help you if you don't know the language and you’re able to communicate."

Poor Yves. I guess he isn't using enough double negatives (incorrectly) yet1

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Doesn't help that like Chris Hughton likes to do that bizarre thing of saying "no" at the start of the sentence, when he means "yes".

MOTD interviewer: "So Chris, a tough game today against Watford?"

CH: "No, it was a very tough match against quality opposition, I felt they..."

Anyone else noticed this?

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Doesn't help that like Chris Hughton likes to do that bizarre thing of saying "no" at the start of the sentence, when he means "yes".

I've also noticed a lot of footballers answer a question by starting their reply with "yeah, no...". Murray is one of the culprits for this. Covers all the bases I suppose.

Good on Yves for taking english lessons though. I saw an interview with Alexis Sanchez yesterday, the blokes been here for 5 years and seemingly still can't speak a word of english. I'm sure he's a busy man though, that £500k a week isn't going to spend itself now is it.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

What I notice is, and he says it for every team, quality opposition, blah... we could be playing Accrington Stanley 3rds and he'll still say it.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

No, you're quite right.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border

Incorrect, Chris was saying it was not a tough game, but a very tough game.

If Chris had agreed it was a tough game, then his answer would have just be 'yes'

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
"They have a lot of quality in their team and that can make it very difficult"
"We know we'll have to be at our very best if we're to get anything from the game"

etc.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Incorrect, Chris was saying it was not a tough game, but a very tough game.

If Chris had agreed it was a tough game, then his answer would have just be 'yes'

Bloody pedants.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
It's the number of times he says 'probably' and 'maybe' that gets to me. When he's talking to the media he is very different from the ultra-decisive nut-job we see in the technical area.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I've also noticed a lot of footballers answer a question by starting their reply with "yeah, no...". Murray is one of the culprits for this. Covers all the bases I suppose.

Knocky did that Yeah/No thing on Saturday after the match. It's pretty nonsensical, but also good to know he's learned.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Knocky did that Yeah/No thing on Saturday after the match. It's pretty nonsensical, but also good to know he's learned.

He also turned the question of (roughly) "Anthony, well played today. Is it important for the team to get this win" into something where he basically spoke about his own performance and getting back into the team :lolol:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
CH always likes to drop "levels" into his interviews too. "quality & levels".
HughtonSpeak is a wonderful thing.

He has obviously learned from years in the game that it is best to say as little as possible of any consequence otherwise it gets twisted by journalists. So he trots out the same sequences of words regardless of whether they really have proper meaning. In this regard he is a bit like The Maybot (a comparison he would hate... would she be the first person in a leadership role that he was willing to say "is NOT doing an excellent job"...?)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here