Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Yves Bissouma learning English

Albion my Albion

NSC Patreon
Feb 6, 2016
Indiana, USA
HughtonSpeak is a wonderful thing.

He has obviously learned from years in the game that it is best to say as little as possible of any consequence otherwise it gets twisted by journalists. So he trots out the same sequences of words regardless of whether they really have proper meaning. In this regard he is a bit like The Maybot (a comparison he would hate... would she be the first person in a leadership role that he was willing to say "is NOT doing an excellent job"...?)

May Be Or Not May Be.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Swedes and Swiss kids start learning English at around 3 in school, so not really a fair comparison. Plus all footballers are thick... [emoji23]

With Hughton, he even said Derby are a good team, they were dog shit for 80 minutes.

Bruno speaks three languages fluently as did Calde.

Reagulls

Jul 22, 2013
Yves Bissouma should first learn that if you are taking the third exit from the roundabout at the bottom of Grinstead Lane, you should be in the outside lane on approach.
Can he also learn not to look a his phone with his hood up whilst driving towards the training ground, swerving into other drivers lanes .....wanker :wanker:

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Er... I've lived in England all my adult life so I haven't had to learn another language. But if I did move somewhere, I'd hope to be pretty fluent within a year.

Achieving fluency in a foreign language is a big ask. To do it in a year starting from nothing would be very impressive indeed.

Of course it depends on the motivation of the learner, pre-existing knowledge and their linguistic background. For whatever reason, Spanish speakers tend to find English particularly difficult.

Last edited:

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I think people underestimate how difficult it is to learn a foreign language. Especially to a level where you can confidently speak in public knowing full well that whatever you say will be reported around the world.

That is true to an extent. However, if you live in a country and are immersed in the language, then you should be fluent in around 6 to 9 months. Ok -we might not all be that inclined or motivated, but after so many years, I would have expected far more than he managed to come up with.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
That is true to an extent. However, if you live in a country and are immersed in the language, then you should be fluent in around 6 to 9 months. Ok -we might not all be that inclined or motivated, but after so many years, I would have expected far more than he managed to come up with.

I don't know what he came up with so I can't comment on Sanchez specifically but fluency in 6 months is highly unlikely. I say this as an English teacher and as a learner of multiple languages. Perhaps we have a different understanding of what fluency is.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος
I saw an interview with Alexis Sanchez yesterday, the blokes been here for 5 years and seemingly still can't speak a word of english. I'm sure he's a busy man though, that £500k a week isn't going to spend itself now is it.

On the radio the other day they were saying that Sergio Agüero who has been in England for around 9 years still doesn't speak English.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ;8785047 said:
On the radio the other day they were saying that Sergio Agüero who has been in England for around 9 years still doesn't speak English.

From 2017:

He is more than happy to live his life out of the limelight, and very rarely gives interviews at all. On Wednesday night he gave his first in English, proof that he has been able to speak the language for years, but hasn't wanted to encourage any more media activities than are strictly necessary.

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/the...eaker-sergio-aguero/1xym2g7dkfls11kp7jr0kksvu

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
I'd like to arks Chrissie who this mysterious Annie is. I think Bissouma needs to prioritise learning how to shoot towards goal rather than a corner flag before he tries a foreign language!

el punal

What I notice is, and he says it for every team, quality opposition, blah... we could be playing Accrington Stanley 3rds and he'll still say it.

Well he’s hardly likely to say they’re complete crap. Not Chrissie’s way is it? Still the complete footballing gent, unlike someone else talking about ceilings and I could manage this or that club.

Ⓩ-Ⓐ-Ⓜ-Ⓞ-Ⓡ-Ⓐ

Hove / Παρος
Apr 7, 2006
Hove / Παρος

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I've also noticed a lot of footballers answer a question by starting their reply with "yeah, no...". Murray is one of the culprits for this. Covers all the bases I suppose.

Good on Yves for taking english lessons though. I saw an interview with Alexis Sanchez yesterday, the blokes been here for 5 years and seemingly still can't speak a word of english. I'm sure he's a busy man though, that £500k a week isn't going to spend itself now is it.

Someone on radio earlier today started with “yes, no, I mean, obviously...” Why not just pause for a second instead and think about what you’re going to say - especially if you’re calling up the station to contribute in the first place?!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Someone on radio earlier today started with “yes, no, I mean, obviously...” Why not just pause for a second instead and think about what you’re going to say - especially if you’re calling up the station to contribute in the first place?!

I guess the "yes, no obviously" IS the mental pause, before launching into the answer. Any dead air on the radio is the Cardinal sin, there's no time to pause for thought.

As an aside, on this subject, I've been listening to the podcasts of Russell Brand on Radio X lately, and have come to the conclusion that the guy is actually wired like an absolute genius. I have never heard such a rapidfire invective stream of super-articulated bollocks from anyone on this planet. He's easy to dismiss as a lefty dandy tosspot, which he most probably is. But bloody hell, he's a true wordsmith. And I admire that in anyone.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Doesn't help that like Chris Hughton likes to do that bizarre thing of saying "no" at the start of the sentence, when he means "yes".

MOTD interviewer: "So Chris, a tough game today against Watford?"

CH: "No, it was a very tough match against quality opposition, I felt they..."

Anyone else noticed this?

It's called deflection.

Interviewers always start with a question where they compliment you to ease you into '' their agenda'' where they have several already lined up questions to antagonise you.

If you contradict their initial question it can sometimes take the line of questioning they had in mind in a different direction. If you fall into line with their leading questions then they run the interview. Chris is an interviewers nightmare because he seldom rises to their '' bait ''.

I could do his interviews because he has his answers ready, even if they are not even related to the question. It sometimes amazes me how he manages not to fall into their traps week after week

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
It's called deflection.

Interviewers always start with a question where they compliment you to ease you into '' their agenda'' where they have several already lined up questions to antagonise you.

If you contradict their initial question it can sometimes take the line of questioning they had in mind in a different direction. If you fall into line with their leading questions then they run the interview. Chris is an interviewers nightmare because he seldom rises to their '' bait ''.

I could do his interviews because he has his answers ready, even if they are not even related to the question. It sometimes amazes me how he manages not to fall into their traps week after week

He's literally the footballing equivalent of the Maybot. Says precisely the square route of f-all, every time. If I was a journo, I doubt I'd bother turning up. You already basically know pre-match and post-match exactly what he's going to say. Its scripted. Naylor must be tearing his corn out.

Just like you can guarantee that the Maybot will begin every Brexit answer with..."I've always been very clear...."

Its an art, of sorts. Love him being our manager, but shit the bed, he's boring. The polar opposite of Gus.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]jhL4b7jFUYE[/yt]

And if you're interested, this is Brand's recurring theme of filing a dogs penis down with an emery board, in the voice of Churchill. I don't know why I find this funny, but I do.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here