Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Do you still watch DVDs ?

Rogero

Aug 4, 2010
Shoreham
My Blu Ray DVD player has just packed up but I can still play CDs on it. I only occasionally watched dvds as the surround sound is really good so I ask myself do I replace it or move onto all streaming?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Yes. DVDs are great.

Kurt Nogood

May 13, 2011
Streaming of music and film is the way forward. DVD/BluRay player certainly handy, depends how precious you are about you old physical collection.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Not if I can help it. They look blinking horrible on a 4k TV as the TV has to produce 20 pixels for every 1 that is on the DVD.

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
Very rarely since Mr DVD man disappeared
He used to frequent the pubs and bookies around Hove with his satchel brimming with them

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I love the DVD format. reminds me of going to Tomorrows World video shop on 7 dials on a mildly hungover Sunday. Happy days.

I liked having the collection on shelves and I would still do so if Mrs TC hadn't given the DVD player to her Dad. I may buy another one I think. I think they're great. I also like CD's still.

I stream 99% of my entertainment now though. Which is fine too.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
No. Amazon Prime and VPN/Tixati for anything new. It's quite useful that the Xbox still plays CDs/DVDs though as some of my son's Chinese homework is on them.

Strange as I thought the Chinese were supposed to be pushing technology these days. [emoji23]

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
Doing the ironing today and fancied watching a film, so I chose Scream. Not watched it for yonks, and was miffed that whenever it was I bought it (20 years ago!?) I’d bought the wide screen version. So on my 55” tv it basically only displayed in the middle section like a big letterbox!

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Much prefer Blu-Ray/4K physical media, especially as most streaming services through the TV can't do lossless audio whereas the physical media can. Picture wise The Expanse in 1080p streamed on Amazon Prime is one of the nicest things I've seen on TV, so much detail.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I've not bought a blu-ray for about 2 years now. Absolutely no point.

My weapon of choice these days is the Google Chromecast, its ridiculous. £30. Just pop that sucker into one of the HDMI slots on your TV, install Show Box and LocalCast onto your mobile, and then stream/cast any number of movies onto your TV directly from your phone, in HD, with 5.1. This week I've watched The Meg, What Happened to Monday, Bird Box, Avengers Infinity War, Creed II, Rampage, Bohemian Rhapsody and the new Halloween.

Keeps me out the pub.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Before I had Netflix, everyone at work told me how good Narcos was. Concious that I didn't want to pay for another subscription service I bought seasons 1 and 2 on DVD. The DVD remains to this day in its sellophane untouched as I couldn't be arsed to fanny about firing up the Blu ray player and would watch a repeat of Top Gear on Dave instead. Of course, once I got Netflix, I absolutely flew through it.

Put simply, I'm too lazy for DVDS. Yesterday I sat through about 78 add breaks on ITV2 instead of finding the Force awakens Blu ray. A first world problem if ever there was one.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here