Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] 1st Team Progress Since 2016/2017

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I thought it would be interesting to compare our starting line up (based on appearances) from 2016/17 with this season.

In 2016/17 our line up was:

Murray
Baldock
Skalak Stephens Sidwell Knockaert
Bong Duffy Dunk Bruno
Stockdale

And this season:

Murray
Gross
March Stephens Propper Knockaert
Bong Duffy Dunk Montoya
Ryan

I think Gross, March and Propper are clear upgrades. Not much between a 3 years younger Bruno an Montoya. I would also say not much between a fit and motivated Stockdale and Ryan (others will disagree). Over half the regular starters are the same same and March probably would have been were it not for injury. Gross was a bargain at £2.5 million (or around that). Propper is the stand out major buy that has proved his worth. I know the club has developed in other areas and the squad is definitely stronger but I would say that the first 11 has clearly lagged behind in its rate of development.

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I think, in reality, Bernardo would be Hughton’s choice over Bong and think this is a bit of an upgrade, too.

Also, Knockeart isn’t really first choice any more as the wingers have recently been Locadia and March and Izquierdo would certainly be first choice if fit.

It’s interesting that so many of the promotion squad have stepped up well, though.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I thought it would be interesting to compare our starting line up (based on appearances) from 2016/17 with this season.

Murray
Baldock
Bong Duffy Dunk Bruno
Stockdale

And this season:

Murray
Gross
Bong Duffy Dunk Montoya
Ryan

I think Gross, March and Propper are clear upgrades. Not much between a 3 years younger Bruno an Montoya. I would also say not much between a fit and motivated Stockdale and Ryan (others will disagree). Over half the regular starters are the same same and March probably would have been were it not for injury. Gross was a bargain at £2.5 million (or around that). Propper is the stand out major buy that has proved his worth. I know the club has developed in other areas and the squad is definitely stronger but I would say that the first 11 has clearly lagged behind in its rate of development.

In 2007 we bought four players to strengthen the first team - Ryan, Duffy, Gross and Propper) and boy, did we need them for our first season in the PL. Last summer we concentrated on getting in numbers to bulk up the squad, to get cover for all positions, but not necessarily to improve the team (that may or may not have been the intention, but that's arguably pretty much how it's turned out)

So - we've improved the team considerably since 2016-2017, but not much from last season..

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP

Murray
Baldock
Bong Duffy Dunk Bruno
Stockdale

And this season:

Murray
Gross
Bong Duffy Dunk Montoya
Ryan

You've got this season wrong, surely?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The big stand out difference is that there is a squad of adequate players as opposed to a team of adequate players.

That's bourn out by being in the quarter finals of the FA Cup for a 2nd season in a row as opposed to being knocked out by Lincoln when whole scale changes are made.

Even when we have injuries we look at players who come in and there is an argument that a lot of them could be starting in the first instance. Competition for places is the real upgrade and that is a step in the right direction.

By this time next year I think Jahanbaksh, Bissouma and Izquierdo will be mainstays in the side. The fact that we didn't even feel the need to go desperately scratching around in the January transfer window for players was testament to this and it no doubt leaves us healthier funds in the August transfer window.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here