Stanley Matthews was 41 when he scored his last goal in the topflight

Anyone older?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Stanley Matthews was 41 when he scored his last goal in the topflight

Anyone older?

I just Googled it to no avail, as I can't seem to find the oldest actual topflight goalscorer ever, but apparently Billy Meredith is the oldest goal scorer in English senior football at 49 years and 208 days old when he scored for Manchester City on 23rd February 1924 in the 3rd round of The FA Cup in a 5-1 victory away to.........Brighton and Hove Albion. Perhaps Bens Grandad remembers the game?

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I just Googled it to no avail, as I can't seem to find the oldest actual topflight goalscorer ever, but apparently Billy Meredith is the oldest goal scorer in English senior football at 49 years and 208 days old when he scored for Manchester City on 23rd February 1924 in the 3rd round of The FA Cup in a 5-1 victory away to.........Brighton and Hove Albion. Perhaps Bens Grandad remembers the game?

Probably - but he’d have been watching the left back......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Durlston

"Garlic bread!?"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
James Beattie played until he was nearly 40 I think. Went into management at Accrington, which was a disaster.

Edit: closer to 35. I must be thinking of someone else. Probably Kevin Phillips?

Brownstuff

Feb 21, 2009
Hove
All correct answers have been given now
Harford
Tugay
Hughes
Alexander
Pearce
Windass
Giggs
Sheringham

Maybe Bruno will join the list by the end of the season

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Pictured playing in that match here (the caption on the tweet is incorrect, he was indeed playing for Man City):-

[TWEET]1091642990672662531[/TWEET]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here