Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[NSC] Amsterdam mid week break

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Going to Amsterdam next month with the wife. Any recommendations for places to visit / things to do / where to eat much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
The sex museum really is worth a visit. And Van gough - but allow a few hours as it's huge. Went in October with Mrs W and the Flower Market was interesting but a bit sparse at that time of year - meant to be beautiful when fully stocked. For eating, if you like seafood, then the Seafood Company is great. A huge platter for around 20 euros. We also went to a great independent place but can't remember the name .... number 1 on Tripadvisor at the time .... waitress was from Fiveways in Brighton ! I'll ask Mrs W what the name of the place was when she awakes.from her slumber.

patchamalbion

Feb 26, 2009
brighton
Going to Amsterdam myself in 20 minutes......if I manage to leave Arnhem in my hungover state....

I’m sorry this isn’t relevant but hey ho,

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
If you go to Ann Franks house you need to book up. Red light area is fun .

Ah yes - forgot about booking Anne Franks. You also need to book Van Gough museum. Red light district is good - cash only in the bars. The sex shows aren't great though - staged to music and very fake rather than sexy.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Considering you're going with your wife, some more pleasant recommendations than those suggested already would be Anne Frank's house (though book online early like Rogero advised). There is a swing you can go on that is really high up and gives great views of the city - I'm too scared of heights though. Otherwise, I really wasn't a fan of Amsterdam - too busy. If you have time I'd hop on the train and and take the short journey to Den Haag (the Hague). Much quieter, less touristy and more beautiful with great spots like the Escher museum.

jevs

Mar 24, 2004
Preston Rock Garden
Enjoyed the evening canal tour....all the bridges lit up. The huge floating chinese restaurant is worth a visit. If you fancy sitting on a bridge eating a takeaway, look for "wok to walk". Lots of Argentinian steak houses around. A nice afternoon sitting outside a bar drinking Heineken or maybe having a smoke is a nice way to chill.
Enjoy, lovely city and a 45 minute flight. Watch out for the cyclists....they're lethal!!!!!

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
The Banana Bar.

I've never seen 'hand' writing so neat. :thumbsup:

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Get the bus and go to I think it’s called zanzee.
Small hamlet where you see all the windmills and huts where you can watch clogs and that being hand made.
Anne franks is a must.
Van gogh museum and diamond museum.
Two sex museums. See them both and the canal cruise.
That should keep you busy

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Some very interesting art installations across the water at NDSM, a formal industrial shipyard. Take the free ferry from out the back of the Central train station.

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
- Take plenty of cash. It's not cheap anymore. Accommodation is very expensive and the city has clamped down on Airbnb. If Amsterdam hotel costs are too crazy, maybe consider staying in Haarlem. An easy commute into the centre of Amsterdam. About 15 to 20 minutes.

- Install another pair of eyes in the back of your head. The cyclists will come at you from all directions. If you get skittled over it WILL be your fault.

- Anne Frank needs pre booking. When we first went there about 20 years ago, we just walked up and paid. Tourism in Amsterdam has rocketed. Anne Frank will be busy as is the rest of Amsterdam.

- Somebody mentioned Zaansee Schans. Around 30 minutes on the bus. Worth a visit. A little touristy but not overly ott. Pleasant & scenic.

- THPP mentioned NDSM. A community made up of old shipping containers. Short free ferry ride from near central station.

- Amsterdam Arena. 25 minutes or so metro ride from Central Station. Ugly concrete development around the outside but inside is impressive.

- For a traditional 'Brown Cafe' (dive bar) check out Chris's Bar on Bloemstraat, a short tram ride from the centre. The toilet is small with a bizarre plumbing concept. The cistern is installed in the bar & you flush the toilet after exiting. :eek:

- Canal cruise is always fun. Costs can vary and best to have a hunt around or research before you go for the best value.

- Strolling around the Central & West Canal streets simply following your noses. Stopping off at random bars or cafes that take your fancy.

I like Amsterdam, but it's become a victim of it's own success and is always very crowded these days. I agree with the suggestion of The Hague if you fancy something a little less manic but still interesting.

monty uk

Sep 25, 2018
Prego restaurant, Cafe de Klepel, De Belhamel. All advisable to book first. Van Puffelen restaurant. Beer Temple.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Thoroughly recommend the Easyhotel in the De Pijp district for cheap-by-Amsterdam-standards accomodation. Decidedly compact, but has everything you need for a mini-break in that fantastic town at half the price.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Get on the train to Utrecht

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
Going to Amsterdam next month with the wife. Any recommendations for places to visit / things to do / where to eat much appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

The sex museum really is worth a visit. And Van gough - but allow a few hours as it's huge. Went in October with Mrs W and the Flower Market was interesting but a bit sparse at that time of year - meant to be beautiful when fully stocked. For eating, if you like seafood, then the Seafood Company is great. A huge platter for around 20 euros. We also went to a great independent place but can't remember the name .... number 1 on Tripadvisor at the time .... waitress was from Fiveways in Brighton ! I'll ask Mrs W what the name of the place was when she awakes.from her slumber.

Zaza's is the place .... run by a very keen Irish woman and the food was a delight.

And if you haven't already booked a hotel then the Park Inn by Raddison is great. Not too expensive and a few minutes walk from a railway station that takes about 12 minutes to Amsterdam.Central. About 12 euros by cab.

Last edited:

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Went in October with Mrs W and the Flower Market was interesting but a bit sparse at that time of year - meant to be beautiful when fully stocked.

Can vouch for that in the warmer seasons.

I took a tram to its very last stop, just for the hell of it, you get day/week passes for the trams. God only knows where I ended up, but you get to see more than just the city centre, and all trams go back that way, so I wasn't lost! Amsterdam is by far my favourite European city, been a few times now.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here