Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Button

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Is it too early to say his Albion career is hanging by a thread?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Nearly cost us the game with that dropped ball from a not so dangerous cross.....

Another goal nearly conceded.
They're racking up this season, and costing the team a lot of imaginary points and cup runs.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Would it be harsh to say that Ryan hasn’t covered himself in glory recently and made any spectacular saves. Neither keeper has made any absolute howlers that have resulted in goals either I don’t think?

Button has certainly given us more heart in mouth moments though

Steve in Japan

NSC Patron
May 9, 2013
East of Eastbourne
Would it be harsh to say that Ryan hasn’t covered himself in glory recently and made any spectacular saves.

Ryan could have done better for the second goal v Burnley, and arguably the first as well. So not harsh at all.

Having said that, that was top quality flapping from Button from that cross yesterday

West Upper Seagull

Oct 31, 2003
Woodingdean
I’d also add that while Balogun got all the attention for the West Brom goal in the replay, Button was at fault before it got that far by coming half heartedly for the cross and flapping and getting nowhere near the ball. He also had a few shots that he could have held but just parried or bounced off him. Don’t rate him at all.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Nearly cost us the game with that dropped ball from a not so dangerous cross.....

Did he really? He reacted to the drop quicker than anyone else thumping it away from goal, and was back on his line ready for any shot (alongside at least one other defender). I'm not saying I have oodles of confidence in him, or understand why people were shocked that Ryan walked right back into the team (as they were after the Fulham game). But keepers drop balls all the time. Defenders lose the ball, or lose track of the ball, in the area all the time, and nothing comes of it.

How near were we, really, to conceding in that moment? How much more dangerous was it than the many other times opposition have had the ball near the edge of our box, with a penalty area full of players to get through and a goalkeeper and defender covering the line?

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I just knew there were some waiting for him to make a mistake so they could jump on him, despite the fact he has been outstanding for us when on duty. I sometimes think there are people on here that pray for a mistake, bad performance, almost to vindicate themselves. Who next? Dan Burn?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Seems to have done alright,but the last keeper I had absolute confidence in was Corrigan!Hope they get Walton's future sorted soon,as Derby are sniffing around.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I just knew there were some waiting for him to make a mistake so they could jump on him, despite the fact he has been outstanding for us when on duty. I sometimes think there are people on here that pray for a mistake, bad performance, almost to vindicate themselves. Who next? Dan Burn?

Deffo.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Did he really? He reacted to the drop quicker than anyone else thumping it away from goal, and was back on his line ready for any shot (alongside at least one other defender). I'm not saying I have oodles of confidence in him, or understand why people were shocked that Ryan walked right back into the team (as they were after the Fulham game). But keepers drop balls all the time. Defenders lose the ball, or lose track of the ball, in the area all the time, and nothing comes of it.

How near were we, really, to conceding in that moment? How much more dangerous was it than the many other times opposition have had the ball near the edge of our box, with a penalty area full of players to get through and a goalkeeper and defender covering the line?

I guess you might have had a better view than me but from where I sat middle of WSL it didn't look good and he wasn't under any real pressure. Agreed goalies and all players make mistakes but with the former it has the potential to be more serious due to the nature of the role. I actually think he has done ok but that does n't mean he didn't drop the ball in a dangerous place.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

Jump on him? It was an observation about a mistake he made when under no pressure.

Making an observation about a player good or bad is what a discussion forum is about otherwise there is NO discussion and purpose for the forum.

I actually think he has done pretty well in the opportunities he has had.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Jump on him? It was an observation about a mistake he made when under no pressure.

Making an observation about a player good or bad is what a discussion forum is about otherwise there is NO discussion and purpose for the forum.
There's quite a difference between your above post and "could have cost us the game"?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I guess you might have had a better view than me but from where I sat middle of WSL it didn't look good and he wasn't under any real pressure. Agreed goalies and all players make mistakes but with the former it has the potential to be more serious due to the nature of the role. I actually think he has done ok but that does n't mean he didn't drop the ball in a dangerous place.

I'm not disputing he dropped the ball. He did. I'm disputing how dangerous it was, whether it is fair to say it 'nearly cost us the game'. He did drop the cross, but he had the wherewithal and the quick thinking to knock it away before anyone else reacted, and he got back on his line to defend the next attack, which had quite a lot to do do get a goal. And even then there's no knowing if that would have cost us the game or not (we may have still won either in regular time or in extra time or by penalties - all that would have done was drawn Derby level).

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here