Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Radio Two really is rubbish

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I need a radio station that plays, soul, Motown, jazz funk, modern Jazz, reggae, lovers rock and ska, both oldies and up to date, then I'll be happy.
I like listening to Trevor Nelson and Craig Charles (R2) and David Rodigan.
Just not enough of this type of music on daytime radio, it's not as if it's Punk or Heavy Metal.

Charles is my favourite stand in ,,,,, time he replaced Wright really.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I listened to a bit of R2 and decided it was MOR pap for braindead morons, and put it on 'ignore'. That was back in 1971. Have I done myself out of a lifetime of pleasure? Thinking about it.....I don't give a tiny shit.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
I listened to a bit of R2 and decided it was MOR pap for braindead morons, and put it on 'ignore'. That was back in 1971. Have I done myself out of a lifetime of pleasure? Thinking about it.....I don't give a tiny shit.

But that was back in 1971 when I was young enough to think that R2 was shit, I was listening to T Rex on R1.
R2 now plays a lot of the music that I thought was great back in 1971 while R1 plays shit because I'm too old.
R2 is shit though, except pop master, that isn't shit, and Craig Charles and Trevor Nelson isn't shit either, it's quite good, but they are on in the evening and usually at weekends, now that is shit.
But in general R2 is shit, so you were right to not even give a tiny shit.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

R2 in the 70’s and 80’s was crap. I only heard it in shops as a kid, thankfully my Dad loved R1. R2 played barbershop singers, The Dave Clark Five, Engelbert Humperdinck, Lulu, Cliff Richard. All without irony.

R1 used to have a huge demographic.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
R2 in the 70’s and 80’s was crap. I only heard it in shops as a kid, thankfully my Dad loved R1. R2 played barbershop singers, The Dave Clark Five, Engelbert Humperdinck, Lulu, Cliff Richard. All without irony.

Yes it did.
R1 in the 70's and 80's was a very good station once the gramophone warmed up.
But to be fair there was not much choice.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Indeed. But after I discovered Top Gear (John Peel), Bob Harris and Pete Drummond, all radio bets were off.

I listned to the Sunday evening chart show on R1 till about 1972. It was followed by 'sing somthing simple' with Brian Mathews, who ought to have known better - see Bowie at the beeb - and at that point my will to live was severly tested.

The kids of today would find it hard to fathom th shitness of the early 70s.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I tend to agree with the majority herein. My wife was a big Chris Evans fan and has rapidly followed him to Virgin Waters. I tend to listen to Kerrang at work - which is pretty cool, especially Loz Guest... hopping from Pearl Jam via Blind Melon to Biffy with a stopover at Muse, whilst sharing a beer with Rammstein is just my cup of tea.

R2 is mostly drivel, Ken Bruce aside, even Vine grates. Steve Wright is like a massive 1980s first gen mobile phone that somehow broke its core programming and still thinks it’s ‘cutting edge.’ Try to make a call and all you get is annoying beeping noises that just won’t ****ing stop. Please make it stop.

Perhaps it’s a self parody?

Nah; he’s a super massive cock.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I like Ken Bruce, a very witty man. I only wish I had appreciated Wogan earlier than I did. I suppose it's an age thing.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Indeed. But after I discovered Top Gear (John Peel), Bob Harris and Pete Drummond, all radio bets were off.

I listned to the Sunday evening chart show on R1 till about 1972. It was followed by 'sing somthing simple' with Brian Mathews, who ought to have known better - see Bowie at the beeb - and at that point my will to live was severly tested.

The kids of today would find it hard to fathom th shitness of the early 70s.

With the odd exception such as Kraftwerk, RoxyM and Bowie, some idling music years IMO, which took a brilliant change of direction in 1976 and 1977 for kids and teenagers. More than a cliche, it changed everything.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I tend to agree with the majority herein. My wife was a big Chris Evans fan and has rapidly followed him to Virgin Waters. I tend to listen to Kerrang at work - which is pretty cool, especially Loz Guest... hopping from Pearl Jam via Blind Melon to Biffy with a stopover at Muse, whilst sharing a beer with Rammstein is just my cup of tea.

R2 is mostly drivel, Ken Bruce aside, even Vine grates. Steve Wright is like a massive 1980s first gen mobile phone that somehow broke its core programming and still thinks it’s ‘cutting edge.’ Try to make a call and all you get is annoying beeping noises that just won’t ****ing stop. Please make it stop.

Perhaps it’s a self parody?

Nah; he’s a super massive cock.

He is. And behind the faux jokey persona, the wally is a snide and narrow minded musically.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Still mainly about the music for me.
R2 used to play a general mix of Motown type soul, a bit of rock, some more mainstream indie, 80s electronic pop, and 70s , 80s and 90s classics and new, more middle of the road stuff, ( Robbie Williams, Boyzone, Buble etc)
Now, it appears that they mainly play little girl music, Ariadne Grande,Sia, Rita Ora, and boy bands, or derivatives there of.

So, like others on here, I’ve started to listen to Virgin, but they have a very small playlist and appear to play the same songs every day,just in a different order.
So, if anyone can suggest a station that plays some soul( Atlanta, Motown, Stax etc), some of the better rock stuff( no Def Leopard, Guns and Roses) some folky type stuff, (James Taylor, Cat Stevens, Don McClean etc) the better end of more modern stuff, lots of 60s and 70s classics, and no wailing women( Whitney, Celina Dion, Mariah Carey) I would be very grateful.

And I must add, lots and lots of Bowie and Springsteen.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here