Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] IF, IF, IF We were relegated what would be our starting XI in August?

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Not that I think we will - but it's possible. So don't take this as a dig at the club etc - it's just some idle speculation to fill what will be a couple of weeks without a league game.

IF we were to be relegated in May

Given the ambition/ International pedigree of some of our new players, AND the caliber of our U28/U18s, who would you expect to be pulling on the stripes for our 1st league game next season?

Remember we will have some parachute payments, plus we're not paying MASSIVE salaries, yet..

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Assuming everyone is available who's still here...

Button

Montoya
Duffy
Burn
Bernardo

March
Propper
Bissouma
Izquierdo

Gross
Andone

Subs: Steele, Balogun, Bong, Kayal / Stephens, Knockaert / Jahanbakhsh, Murray, Locadia

Basically I think we'd lose Dunk and Ryan from our first choice XI. It's possible we could lose Andone, Izquierdo or Propper but I'm not convinced. Last season I'd have said Gross but he's not shone this time around and I doubt teams would be in for him in the same way. But we'd also sign some players and that might mean some being shipped out (e.g. a Locadia replacement).

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
...................Button

Douglas, Duffy, Burn, Stevens
.................Whelan
March, Bissouma, Izquierdo
.............Bamford
................Gayle

Last edited:

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Does it matter?

"The Championship is a great division".
"Easy to get out of".
"I really miss playing at 3pm on a Saturday".
"More mid-week games".
"Cheaper available tickets".

I for one wonder what team we'll put out in our first season of Isthmian League football.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Ryan wont go. Really not all that. We would probably lose propper and dunk maybe Duffy and Solly.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Geestar

Nov 6, 2012
Shoreham Beach
Does it matter?

"The Championship is a great division".
"Easy to get out of".
"I really miss playing at 3pm on a Saturday".
"More mid-week games".
"Cheaper available tickets".

I for one wonder what team we'll put out in our first season of Isthmian League football.
Sounds perfect!

Sent from my TA-1020 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

I bet Glenn Murray's still leading the line. Even if it's in a remote controlled wheelchair like that episode of Father Ted.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I bet Glenn Murray's still leading the line. Even if it's in a remote controlled wheelchair like that episode of Father Ted.

Would the Championship help extend Glenn / Bruno's career or would the frenetic nature be the end for them both (not death, but retirement)?

A1X

NSC Patreon
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Would the Championship help extend Glenn / Bruno's career or would the frenetic nature be the end for them both (not death, but retirement)?

I'd expect it to be more of an issue for Bruno than Murray TBH given the requirements of their respective positions. Murray might not be a starter but could be a regular "option" sub.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
Its not going to happen......I think some of you lot want us to go down....Every supporter should want their team to play in the top division...now get behind the team....Im sure Mr Bloom wont want us to go down to a more exciting league....
If you like the Championship so much go support Leeds United as I hope they will be there next year.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Not that I think we will - but it's possible. So don't take this as a dig at the club etc - it's just some idle speculation to fill what will be a couple of weeks without a league game.

IF we were to be relegated in May

Given the ambition/ International pedigree of some of our new players, AND the caliber of our U28/U18s, who would you expect to be pulling on the stripes for our 1st league game next season?

Remember we will have some parachute payments, plus we're not paying MASSIVE salaries, yet..

You really are just the person that Chris would want around the dressing room aren't you? . . . NOT.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Its not going to happen......I think some of you lot want us to go down....Every supporter should want their team to play in the top division...now get behind the team....Im sure Mr Bloom wont want us to go down to a more exciting league....

The Championship is only exciting because every club's fans and players are absolutely GAGGING to play in the Premier League.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
I think we'll lose the following:

Ryan
Izquierdo
Propper
Locadia
Montoya
Dunk
Duffy

Potentially to be promoted from u23:
Walton
White
Molumby
Sanders
Gyokeres
Connolly

So the team could start like this:

Walton/Button

(new guy)
Burn
Balogun
Bernardo

Jahanbaksh (I get the feeling he would stay as would want to prove a point)
Stephens
Bissouma
Gyokeres

Gross
Andone (or new guy)

subs: Button, White, Molumby, Knocky, March, Connolly, (new guy)

In reality we won't have that many u23 coming through unfortunately, as the mandate will be to bounce back at the first attempt. So with the money we get from players being sold plus parachute money, I can see us spending enough money to hopefully get us back up at the first attempt.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here