Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] IF, IF, IF We were relegated what would be our starting XI in August?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
And as he and Paul BArber has said they need to stay on the Premier League.........thats the intended future not relegation down the leagues.

They're hardly going to say we don't care if we're relegated.

Of course staying in the prem will be good, but I doubt Bloom and Barber in saying we need to stay in the prem were meaning this club will be doomed if we go down.

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think we'd lose a lot of players, even if they were not all sold, some would go out on loan to clubs at a higher level abroad etc.

In goal, perhaps Button. I imagine our back 4 would contain Burn and Bong but we could easily end up with a new RB and CB. Suppose Schelotto potentially but I doubt he'll play for us again. Maybe Mateju if his loan doesn't become permanent? Midfield I think would be Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, March and I suspect we'd hold onto Murray. Possibly someone new as a 10 or second striker. I could see White and Gyokeres being a part of the 1st team squad. Tough call on those out on loan currently. No idea if Tau or Arce would have work permits. I would guess Mlakar and Baluta would be at the club, how close to first team is still unknown. Mac Allister I guess could be the 10, behind the striker. Towell could perhaps become part of the squad.

Based on not knowing who we'd sign, but predicting those who'd go: Button; Bruno, White, Burn, Bong; Knockaert, Stephens, Kayal, March; Mac Allister; Murray.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If we go down. It'll be no big deal. Football's not all about playing in the top division like so many TV fans are made to believe. Sky like to make people believe the top division is every fans desire when infact, a lot of clubs might never ever get there due to their restricted fan base and finance. Getting to the Prem shouldn't be every fans dream. It should be enjoying going to matches, having a great atmosphere, watching entertaining/competitive football, unearthing some unknown talent who turns out to be an absolute gem, witnessing the occasional wonder goal, beating your rivals, knocking out a team 4 division above you in the cup etc.

This whole 'the Prem is the meaning of football' is getting annoying. There's so much more to football than just the top division. If we go down, things will still be going just fine at our club. No great loss. Still good attendances, a roof over our heads, a good standard of football on field and a club still heading in the right direction.

The only thing I really dread if we get relegated this season is a load of fans in tears as if someone's died. Fans making out as if relegation from the Prem is something our club should never had imagined. It's so cringey and over the top, and when you consider the albion's last 20 years, it'll be an embarrassment for our club's fans too.
Can't argue with that

We had crowds of 6,000 at Withdrawn and now we average 30,000
We never sold out at Withdean so we have 20,000 plus people who have never witnessed the shit times.
They are the ones who will be whining and crying into there half and half scarves as the hardcore fans will still be ready to go again whatever division we play in

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think we'd flog Ryan, Montoya, Dunk, Duffy, Bissouma, Andone, Izquierdo, Bernardo and Pröpper.

I’d add Groß, Locadia, Murray, Bruno and Knocky to those who’d leave because of age or attitude or better offers in the Premier League.

I think Ali J would stay to prove himself in English football.

Walton
New RB
White
Burn
Bong

Stephens/Baluta
Kayal
Mac Allister

Tau
Gyökeres/Connolly
March/Ali J

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Not that I think we will - but it's possible. So don't take this as a dig at the club etc - it's just some idle speculation to fill what will be a couple of weeks without a league game.

IF we were to be relegated in May

Given the ambition/ International pedigree of some of our new players, AND the caliber of our U28/U18s, who would you expect to be pulling on the stripes for our 1st league game next season?

Remember we will have some parachute payments, plus we're not paying MASSIVE salaries, yet..

It's not going to happen. Why do some people want to constantly have a dig at the club?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Can't argue with that

We had crowds of 6,000 at Withdrawn and now we average 30,000
We never sold out at Withdean so we have 20,000 plus people who have never witnessed the shit times.
They are the ones who will be whining and crying into there half and half scarves as the hardcore fans will still be ready to go again whatever division we play in

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I suspect there is a new generation of hardcore fans who will be joining the 6,000 from Withdean.

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Walton

Bruno
Burn
Bernardo

Knocky
Stephens
Bissouma
March

Murray
Andone

We'd obvs go back to 4-4-2, we'd definitely lose ryan, dunk, duffy, propper, gross, izquierdo, CH would have to do miracles to keep any of those IMO.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
It's not going to happen. Why do some people want to constantly have a dig at the club?

Yeah, have you SEEN the state of Twitter.

Anyway, back to the discussion.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I’m decidedly underwhelmed by PL. In years gone by, smaller clubs could run the top ones close and money wasn’t everything. Now the table looks like a list of bank balances in ascending order.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dunk would be gone and the fee would cover the wages needed for most others to stay.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Just an opinion, like anyone elses, but crowds won’t crash into the low to mid 10,000’s should we drop this May or in the following seasons. [It’s not cast in stone that we’ll stay up for the next few seasons anyway. You have to spend multi £100m’s in fees and wages like Everton, Leicester and now FFP cheats Wolves to get that near certainty].

In a great stadium, we now have a large supporter base, from a huge catchment area all to ourselves.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Just an opinion, like anyone elses, but crowds won’t crash into the low to mid 10,000’s should we drop this May or in the following seasons.

Why on earth would they? We’ve averaged in the mid 20 thousands every season since the Amex was increased to circa 30K, 5 of which were in the Championship.

As for ‘losing’ players, we might sell 2-3 - Dunk, Ryan and Pröpper would be my guess - but players of a team that have just been relegated tend not to be coveted by surviving PL teams. How many players did Stoke, West Brom and Swansea sell last year? Shaqiri is the only notable one I can think of.

45m parachute payments and 10s of millions in transfer fees from players we do sell won’t guarantee promotion, but it’ll be much easier for the recruitment team to build a promotion squad than it was when they started out in 2015.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Why on earth would they? We’ve averaged in the mid 20 thousands every season since the Amex was increased to circa 30K, 5 of which were in the Championship.

As for ‘losing’ players, we might sell 2-3 - Dunk, Ryan and Pröpper would be my guess - but players of a team that have just been relegated tend not to be coveted by surviving PL teams. How many players did Stoke, West Brom and Swansea sell last year? Shaqiri is the only notable one I can think of.

45m parachute payments and 10s of millions in transfer fees from players we do sell won’t guarantee promotion, but it’ll be much easier for the recruitment team to build a promotion squad than it was when they started out in 2015.

One or two ‘relegation would be a disaster’ posters mentioned tiny crowds and potentially dropping another division.

On that last point, the PL/Championship is full of clubs that have tasted both divisions, but in the last 25 years have never dropped to the their tier.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
I think March is generally underrated and would be the first to be snapped up. Dunk and possibly Propper and Duffy too. Maybe West Ham would come in for Izquierdo. I don't think we'd lose Ryan. That would leave us with a squad more than capable of a promotion challenge.

matumaini

Feb 25, 2018
Walton
Bruno
White
Burn
Bong
Knockaert
Sanders
Stephens
March
Locadia
Murray

I think we'd flog Ryan, Montoya, Dunk, Duffy, Bissouma, Andone, Jahanbakhsh, Izquierdo, Bernardo and Propper.

Obviously, there's no getting rid of Bong and he needs us to get relegated to keep him at the club. Staying in the Premier League again should mean the end of his reign of PL mediocrity.

Bongs PL mediocrity, yeah like plenty of others in our team that are not good enough. Not just Bong. Thanks for highlighting him!!!!!!

Sent from my HUAWEI G7-L01 using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Walton
Bruno
White
Burn
Bong
Knockaert
Sanders
Stephens
March
Locadia
Murray

I think we'd flog Ryan, Montoya, Dunk, Duffy, Bissouma, Andone, Jahanbakhsh, Izquierdo, Bernardo and Propper.

Obviously, there's no getting rid of Bong and he needs us to get relegated to keep him at the club. Staying in the Premier League again should mean the end of his reign of PL mediocrity.

Were you talking in class when they handed out the brains. When has any club relegated from the Premier League sold pretty much their first team. If you are serious, then you really are an idiot.

Equally, if:fishing: then you really are an idiot...

ewe2

Mar 14, 2008
Hailsham area
Not that i wish this,but it would give some of our very promising young players more of a chance of establishing themselves with us.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
It depends purely on just how inflated transfer fees are at our level. There could be interest in a number of players such as Ryan, Dunk, Duffy, Bernardo, Propper, Gross or Andone as all of them are more than capable Premier League players. I'd imagine Murray's age would rule him out of a move and Izquierdo and Ali J's valuations would've dropped this season due to performances and injuries, so I imagine we wouldn't get offers that would make them worth selling. I imagine, despite his patchy form, that Stephens would have interest from Premier League sides too, but that would be price dependent. Bissouma's the last interesting one - there's a real talent there but you'd assume his lack of game time hasn't lead to a rise in value yet, so I couldn't see us selling unless another club saw that potential.

The other thing to consider, aside from Brexit which could have financial implications for clubs, is that you'd hope all of our players have clauses in their contracts that drop their wages on relegation. So it'll come down to who's willing to take that hit and help us get back up and who wants out to continue earning the money they currently are.

Basically, it's too open ended to tell really. We could lose a lot of key players or we could lose barely any and do a Burnley by keeping the core and bouncing straight back.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Just an opinion, like anyone elses, but crowds won’t crash into the low to mid 10,000’s should we drop this May or in the following seasons. [It’s not cast in stone that we’ll stay up for the next few seasons anyway. You have to spend multi £100m’s in fees and wages like Everton, Leicester and now FFP cheats Wolves to get that near certainty].

In a great stadium, we now have a large supporter base, from a huge catchment area all to ourselves.

But what about the Charlton coaches and Palace ???

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here