Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
A lot of the insults about younger people in this thread have nothing to do with views on climate.

I was thinking of Cat Stevens, the father thinking he can tell his son he’s already made the mistakes so don’t rush off, the son knowing he has to find his own path and make his own mistakes.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
You actually just stuck up for Toby Young. Who would do that? Ever?! Politics aside, you do realise who this man is don't you?
I don’t know him from a bar of soap but that shouldn’t make any difference because you don’t have to always like someone to agree with something they say. Kids drop an enormous amount of litter and should be made to pick it up!

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
I don’t know him from a bar of soap but that shouldn’t make any difference because you don’t have to always like someone to agree with something they say. Kids drop an enormous amount of litter and should be made to pick it up!

I'd blame the parents for that and perhaps the grandparents too. Obviously not bringing them up right.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I'd blame the parents for that and perhaps the grandparents too. Obviously not bringing them up right.
Absolutely, some parents are little more than sloths in tracksuits.

heathgate

NSC Patreon
Apr 13, 2015
I don’t think it’s age thing.

Climate Change deniers lurk, there are younger ones out there too, and the main reason for their opposition to the kids is the viewpoint.

But not being honest about that.
The youth of today......... lol
77f3cb0474a7b7188527dacaa2004e19.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Becoming politically/socially active is much more valuable than a day at school. Not surprised to see Number 10 condemn the action in the slightest.

If those quotes are directly attributable to No 10 then it really does she how out of touch our politicians are with the public, even if it is youth opinion. This blinkered we know better than you mentality is exactly why we are in our current mess.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

Where I'm at, and the reason I'm defending and celebrating yesterday but picking up on so many posts, is because I no longer have that fresh innocent outlook on life, that naivety about the world, they've got their mistakes to make, their own actions to regret or to embrace. It would no doubt have been a right laugh for many of them, skipping out of school, but there would also be that engagement switched on in their subconscious, that wanting to change the world – brilliant, bring it on, what better than active subversive young minds ready to take on the world, before the mundane grind of life crushes that spirit to the point where in 30 or 40 years time they can have a go at the next generation of teenagers for thinking they can take on the world.

I genuinely cycled down there to take a look and, as a 45 year old with 3 kids, mortgage, car, 1 holiday a year blah blah blah, I felt a spark of my youth rise up, genuinely moved by seeing these teenagers take action. I'm not stupid, of course many were along for the ride, some will be dropping wrappers on the floor today, but that doesn't lessen the protest, or how impactful it was.

Perhaps, because I've been one to protest over the years, angry at the legacy I was left with as I did my GCSEs in 1990, people losing their homes as interest rates rocketed, at the same time as the financial sector went rogue laying the foundations for 2008, the seemingly endless malaise of Tory Britain; I was angry then, angry at my parents for voting for them, angry at everyone, maybe I just felt that all come back again. If did feel good. That spark of youth.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Saturday morning and still more depressingly binary and partisan posts.

Again I think it's time to acknowledge a much more sensible post further back from [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] who stated that it's perfectly possible to eat McDonalds and protest climate change. In fact the changes to McDonalds menu and farming practices over the last few years are examples of exactly why pressure from young people matters. If Maccys are changing then the world is, albiet slowly.

Ditto for mobile phones and tech. Don't know about anyone else but on my smartphone I can run apps like Strava and MapMyRun that give excellent running, cycling and walking routes, encouraging clean, green exercise, get vegetarian and vegan recipes at the touch of a button and use my Hive to prevent my house from over heating or consuming too much energy. I wonder if [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] can provide slam dunk evidence for whether this is carbon positive or negative when you take in to account the potentail changes to people's lifestyles as a result of tech.

Meanwhile, I've also got a good suggestion for [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] and [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION]. Why don't you fellers volunteer for a charity serving in Africa? while all the young idealistic idiots are running about handing out food, water and medicine, your jobs can be to stop big horny men sticking their johnsons in anything except their own hands. Pasta could even take over a selection of reading material and some hand cream. Good luck boys, I'm sure you'll be perfectly safe.

And, on that bombshell, it's time to get ready for the match :kiss:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Again I think it's time to acknowledge a much more sensible post further back from [MENTION=278]MattBackHome[/MENTION] who stated that it's perfectly possible to eat McDonalds and protest climate change. In fact the changes to McDonalds menu and farming practices over the last few years are examples of exactly why pressure from young people matters. If Maccys are changing then the world is, albiet slowly.

Ditto for mobile phones and tech. Don't know about anyone else but on my smartphone I can run apps like Strava and MapMyRun that give excellent running, cycling and walking routes, encouraging clean, green exercise, get vegetarian and vegan recipes at the touch of a button and use my Hive to prevent my house from over heating or consuming too much energy. I wonder if [MENTION=1365]Westdene Seagull[/MENTION] can provide slam dunk evidence for whether this is carbon positive or negative when you take in to account the potentail changes to people's lifestyles as a result of tech.

Meanwhile, I've also got a good suggestion for [MENTION=21401]pastafarian[/MENTION] and [MENTION=144]goldstone[/MENTION]. Why don't you fellers volunteer for a charity serving in Africa? while all the young idealistic idiots are running about handing out food, water and medicine, your jobs can be to stop big horny men sticking their johnsons in anything except their own hands. Pasta could even take over a selection of reading material and some hand cream. Good luck boys, I'm sure you'll be perfectly safe.

Of course I can't but that wasn't really my point. The tech contains rare'ish mined materials and in our throwaway society it is wrong that we change our tech so often. That phone you have ..... when did you last change it ? Most people do it every two years because they want the latest funckiest phone .... yet they could keep their current phone much much longer and still gain the benefits you list. We're a 'want' society and the younger generations are even more so. Hence why I won't take lectures from Plooks and his hatred of the older generations .... especially when he makes his generation out to be so environmentally perfect.

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Of course I can't but that wasn't really my point. The tech contains rare'ish mined materials and in our throwaway society it is wrong that we change our tech so often. That phone you have ..... when did you last change it ? Most people do it every two years because they want the latest funckiest phone .... yet they could keep their current phone much much longer and still gain the benefits you list. We're a 'want' society and the younger generations are even more so. Hence why I won't take lectures from Plooks and his hatred of the older generations .... especially when he makes his generation out to be so environmentally perfect.

Good luck with your smart phone working much more than 2 years.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex

No thanks, i have seen some of them operate and really wouldnt want to be associated with some of the ones who seem more interested in plush new offices and the latest model Discovery before any aid starts to find its way to where its needed, plus i neither have the spare time.
All i have said is there are too many people, if this statement pisses you off perhaps it would be easier for you to explain why population increase is not an issue rather than your usual whining

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
I tend to get a couple of years before something goes wrong. What model do you have?

Samsung S5. The trick is, like a PC, not to install loads of crap.

The shit Mrs W puts on her iPhone is daft .... and then she wonders why it runs slowly !!!!

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
No thanks, i have seen some of them operate and really wouldnt want to be associated with some of the ones who seem more interested in plush new offices and the latest model Discovery before any aid starts to find its way to where its needed, plus i neither have the spare time.
All i have said is there are too many people, if this statement pisses you off perhaps it would be easier for you to explain why population increase is not an issue rather than your usual whining

What should people do, if anything, if asking people to have less/no children doesn't significantly affect population increase?

Either you do nothing or you do something, what would you do?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003

Of course there are too many people. I want to know what *you* are going to do about it. Anyone can point it out.

It’s going to take years of education and a massive cultural shift to deal with it, but maybe yesterday’s protester is tomorrow’s solution maker. They’re certainly more interested in it than just cynically whining on a message board and it may just have inspired them a little more than end of term double French.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Of course there are too many people. I want to know what *you* are going to do about it. Anyone can point it out.

It’s going to take years of education and a massive cultural shift to deal with it, but maybe yesterday’s protester is tomorrow’s solution maker. They’re certainly more interested in it than just cynically whining on a message board and it may just have inspired them a little more than end of term double French.

I dont control governments policies on over population. It must be governments who set policies and seek solutions. At the moment there is virtually no appetite to even acknowledge the problem exists. The elephant in the room is simply brushed under the carpet as western governments at least seek increased labour to keep the profits going above all else.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
I dont control governments policies on over population. It must be governments who set policies and seek solutions. At the moment there is virtually no appetite to even acknowledge the problem exists. The elephant in the room is simply brushed under the carpet as western governments at least seek increased labour to keep the profits going above all else.

Wait - it’s Western governments’ responsibility to make horny African men wear a Johnny and frightened African women say no to sex and no to another member of the family, who are one drought or disease away from having their numbers halved?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here