Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Come on really, will these be the same kids that get mummy and daddy to drop them off in their gas guzzling 4x4's.

Well, not my two, never been driven to school, rain wind or shine. :thumbsup:

I cycled down there to have a look.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
What has happened to the Truant officers why aren't they out rounding up all these school children who have bunked off school. No doubt the parents will also be receiving fines in the post next week as they failed to ensure that their children were at school.

It should also be mentioned that the Swedish child that has boycotted her school on every Friday to protest about climate change and is effectively leading this campaign, has been basing her campaign on false information, and the UK children have failed to pick up on this, and no doubt just see it as a day off school.

A bit like snow days in America, we need strike days added to the school year, so that every child that has missed school today gets a day added to their summer term

Ah, the 'no doubt' argument - up there with 'what about...'. :facepalm:

Not for the first time, you're making yourself look a bit of a berk with your fantasies. On so many levels.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Sunny weather, quite mild and a Friday, good day for bunking off... plus an excellent opportunity for getting social media virtue signalling points.

Or maybe as is the case of both my kids who went (and their mates), they are actually bothered about the future they are facing.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What has happened to the Truant officers why aren't they out rounding up all these school children who have bunked off school. No doubt the parents will also be receiving fines in the post next week as they failed to ensure that their children were at school.

It should also be mentioned that the Swedish child that has boycotted her school on every Friday to protest about climate change and is effectively leading this campaign, has been basing her campaign on false information, and the UK children have failed to pick up on this, and no doubt just see it as a day off school.

A bit like snow days in America, we need strike days added to the school year, so that every child that has missed school today gets a day added to their summer term

The levels of cynicism on these boards shows you the age demographic of most of our users. Old gits!

Most of the kids would have been at school, then left. Parents won't be getting a fine for that. In terms of snow days, does that mean the kids that went on a weeks holiday out of term do an extra week in the holidays? Great plan :thumbsup:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
Yep good on them.

Struggle to see what anyone could have against this to be honest.

And it's quite possible to be concerned about the future of the planet AND eat McDonalds.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Or maybe as is the case of both my kids who went (and their mates), they are actually bothered about the future they are facing.

You can feel the cynicism and contempt of the older generations dripping from their keyboards, no irony of the responsibility they have on the legacy they will leave behind.

stewart12

Jan 16, 2019
You can feel the cynicism and contempt of the older generations dripping from their keyboards, no irony of the responsibility they have on the legacy they will leave behind.

can't agree with this any more

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Good for them and what in particular do they and their mates think today's walkout will achieve?

I saw climate change being discussed quite widely on news programmes today as a result of this march. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been if it wasn't happening. Do you agree?

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015

I see social media virtue signalling isn't a preserve of younger generations. Yes, I'm a tad cynical of this particular event but not contemptuous of younger generations being idealistic or concerned about particular causes .. it was ever thus.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I saw climate change being discussed quite widely on news programmes today as a result of this march. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have been if it wasn't happening. Do you agree?

Climate change? never heard of it ... thank goodness someone went on a march to highlight this new issue.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I do find it amusing that "virtue signalling" has become somehow a negative.

"You know what really winds me up? Bloody 'virtue'. Sick of the damned stuff. Lower moral standards, that's what I want more of."

(See also: Do-Gooder)

Last edited:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Good for them and what in particular do they and their mates think today's walkout will achieve?

That it will make people aware that they are bothered about it.

Of course there will be a bunch of older people who will make snide judgemental comments, probably be dismissive and patronise them.

Fortunately my kids won't let those sort of people stop them.

Bold Seagull

Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I see social media virtue signalling isn't a preserve of younger generations. Yes, I'm a tad cynical of this particular event but not contemptuous of younger generations being idealistic or concerned about particular causes .. it was ever thus.

As with so many things, you have virtue signalling confused too. Stick to the Brexit thread if I were you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here