Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Using your logic the miners were just striking to bunk off work. It would have had much more impact if they did it on their own time. Which is your bullshit opinion.
The kids strike would have had no impact on a weekend. No one would care.

So let me get this right - you're supporting the kids bunking off school to protest about climate change but you're comparing this to miners who were striking in support of a fossil fuel ? Really Plooks, you're stupid. :facepalm:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
Is this what delayed all the buses in town today? If so it had the wonderful knock on effect of making me drive into work rather than catch the bus as planned.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
What!?
You just said strikes should be on peoples own time as it is more impactful. Your words. So, why do people strike during work hours? Like, for example the miners did.

FFS - today wasn't a 'strike' ..... it was a bunk off. The kids didn't withdraw their labour. They just didn't bother turning up to school. And it was you that made the comparison to the miners ..... an issue you clearly know nothing about.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
If you’re seriously suggesting that standing up against the current climate crisis is less important than a day in school (on the last day of half term no less) then you need to re-evaluate a few things. And I say this as a teacher.

But he was not saying that; merely that a protest made outside of school would show a far more genuine commitment, if they were to turn up in their free time, but as we all know the numbers would then be drastically lower, which would tell its own story. It is hardly either or: you can be concerned about pupils missing school and about the environment -and I say that as an ex teacher. Perhaps you need to re-evaluate a few things.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
Listen to yourself. If you lot keep shitting on the youth you will be in for a big shock later in life.

If it’s paid for and provided and by a consenting adult it would be a bit rich to take the money then moan about it later on in life………….typical youth of today.
Don’t offer the service if you don’t want to do it.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
We need to fine parents really.

You cant fine parents for taking kids out in term time to fly abroad and then allow kids to just walk out of school to protest.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
We need to fine parents really.

You cant fine parents for taking kids out in term time to fly abroad and then allow kids to just walk out of school to protest.

Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the matter under protest, teachers do lay themselves open to accusations of double standards, which I find somewhat unsettling as an ex teacher myself. I believe the NAHT initially backed the campaign, which was not the most sensible position to take.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
Irrespective of the rights or wrongs of the matter under protest, teachers do lay themselves open to accusations of double standards, which I find somewhat unsettling as an ex teacher myself. I believe the NAHT initially backed the campaign, which was not the most sensible position to take.

Its a nice precedent.

Next time a parent wants to take his or her kid out of school to fly abroad, they can hopefully legally challenge the decision to fine them

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Impressive indeed, would be more impressive if they did it on a Saturday instead of missing out on a days vital education.

The whole concept was a walkout protest. Not a lot of point doing that on a non school day.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Very pleased my daughter went. Her school was very liberal about it and gave a sly little nod
My granddaughter's school stopped pupils leaving with threats of detention.

Sent from my SM-J330F using Tapatalk

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
You really think it would have the publicity it has if it was on a weekend? Really?

But I made no mention of the publicity aspect, and you have rather misunderstood what I was saying. The post was simplistically trying to say that one issue was more important than the other, and thus justifiable, hence my comment. Of course, It probably would not receive the publicity, because the numbers would have been so much lower, demonstrating how sincere many of the 'strikers" really were.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
The whole concept was a walkout protest. Not a lot of point doing that on a non school day.

Yes of course it was, but the intention was to demonstrate in favour of the environment, and the organisers knew full well, that a day off school would attract thousands of kids, who would not have bothered had it been in their free time.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Yes of course it was, but the intention was to demonstrate in favour of the environment, and the organisers knew full well, that a day off school would attract thousands of kids, who would not have bothered had it been in their free time.

I don't doubt it. End result is still the same though.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patreon
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I've just been told that many cardboard placards were left behind after the march.
Never mind boys and girls someone else will tidy up. :rolleyes:

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I’m afraid My education was ruined by the teachers strikes of the 80s Dave,still, chins up eh.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I went to school in the 80's and I would put a sizeable bet on the majority of posters on here having done so too. Yet very, very few of the posters on this board come across as daft as you.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
This is just pathetic really. The kids try and highlight an issue which, quite frankly, has been ignored by the people in power for ever and all they get is sneers from people. This really does highlight the vast chasm between the older generations and, well, reality.

What is pathetic is you making these sweeping generalisations. I doubt very much that governments have ignored the issue, but have to make compromises all round to get agreement, as countries put their own interests first. And as to the simplistic chasm to which you refer - in my experience only a minority of all generations really make an acceptable effort to think of the environment with things like recycling, but the litter problem which we see all around is clearly caused by the younger generation, from energy drink cans, beer cans and take-away rubbish.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here