Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
Until the worlds population increase which is ongoing exponentially is addressed politically (which would happen in a cold day in hell) anything we do is pissing in the wind. Young people ball is in your court.

Agreed. Population growth is the big problem. And as for these demonstrating? Get back to school!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Until the worlds population increase which is ongoing exponentially is addressed politically (which would happen in a cold day in hell) anything we do is pissing in the wind. Young people ball is in your court.

Wealth slows population growth. All wealthy countries regardless of culture religion etc end up with a birth rate of around 2 people per couple, which doesn’t increase population. In fact globally the increase in population is down to increased life expectancy not birth rate. I think the predictions are that the world’s population will level out at around 12 billion.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Good for them. Not backing down just cos a few baby boomers who won’t even be affected by climate change want to deny climate change exists to fool themselves into feeling safer, feel like having a moan. Keep it up kids, it’s your future.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People on here saying “ooh the schools are gonna Clamp down on this”. That’s the point. It’s a walk out. The more opposition to it , the more effective it is.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
People on here saying “ooh the schools are gonna Clamp down on this”. That’s the point. It’s a walk out. The more opposition to it , the more effective it is.

Somewhat depends upon the effect it has on the kids education though doesn't it. As an example my eldest son is doing his GCSEs this year ..... I would be down on him like a tonne of bricks if he skipped a day at school thus putting his exam pass at risk.

I support their cause 100% but walking out of school once a month is not the way to go about it. How about all kids have a 5 hour sit in after school ? That would grab some headlines and not disrupt their education. I'm sure the teachers would love having to stay until 8pm on a Friday :wink:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Which somewhat shows the charade it is. Climate change is apolitical and the Tories have done fvck all to deal with it while in government but equally nor did Labour while in government. One has to wonder how members of Momentum have got to these young minds. If they really knew what they were chanting about they'd be supporting Caroline Lucas ...... and that's coming from someone that would never vote Green again after their attempt at local government.

Labour did introduce some legislation/measures to combat climate change, most notably the Climate Change Act in 2008, also 'feed in tarrifs'. I am not sure of the top of my head what the Tory governments have done though?

However I would say it is a matter of fact that a Labour government is far more likely to introduce legislation, or similar, than a Tory one

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climate_Change_Act_2008

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feed-in_tariffs_in_the_United_Kingdom

Having said that chanting Jeremy Corbyn does seem a little absurd.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Somewhat depends upon the effect it has on the kids education though doesn't it. As an example my eldest son is doing his GCSEs this year ..... I would be down on him like a tonne of bricks if he skipped a day at school thus putting his exam pass at risk.

I support their cause 100% but walking out of school once a month is not the way to go about it. How about all kids have a 5 hour sit in after school ? That would grab some headlines and not disrupt their education. I'm sure the teachers would love having to stay until 8pm on a Friday :wink:

They are doing something that they have some degree of control over and has an impact. The point of protest is that it causes friction and debate.

My eldest went to this one and the last one. She believes in what she's doing and is prepared to make the time up (in her own time) with regard to her studies.

More power to them I say.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
They are doing something that they have some degree of control over and has an impact. The point of protest is that it causes friction and debate.

My eldest went to this one and the last one. She believes in what she's doing and is prepared to make the time up (in her own time) with regard to her studies.

More power to them I say.

How does your daughter make up lost classroom time with a teacher in her own time ?

PS - I'm not doubting her support for a worthwhile cause

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

GCSE’s are a piece of piss. He’lll be fine.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How does your daughter make up lost classroom time with a teacher in her own time ?

Why are you wetting your knickers so much about a few hours off school? Thinking back to my school days I remember having time off for numerous things including the Cup Final replay. None of this affected my education in the slightest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don’t think a few days off school impacts the ability to pass exams as much as you think.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
Why are you wetting your knickers so much about a few hours off school? Thinking back to my school days I remember having time off for numerous things including the Cup Final replay. None of this affected my education in the slightest.

Well bully for you. My step-daughter is preparing for her 4th attempt at GCSE Maths ..... something she absolutely needs to go to Uni in September. She needs every extra hour of tuition she can get. My eldest son is a borderline pass in English ..... which he needs to do the A Levels he wants to do in September. Once again he needs every hour of teaching he can get. Both are getting twilight sessions and private tutors to assist them. It's not as black and white as 'a few hours out won't hurt'.

Regardless, the chanting showed this is now a political thing kids are skipping school for not an apolitical thing as it shoud be.

Westdene Seagull

NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
I don’t think a few days off school impacts the ability to pass exams as much as you think.

Clearly not for the highly intelligent kids like you. For those on the cusp of a pass/fail and extra hour here and there works wonders .... I've seen it with my own eyes.

Many many many teachers would also disagree with you.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
If the overall grades go down, It's not the kids who get the blame, but the teachers.

Yes but you’re taking us for fools. We know that the reason you are against these protests is because you hate everything you deem to be touchy feely, left wing issues.

Believe what you wish to believe but don’t dress it up as concern for the school ratings.

If they were out of school protesting against remaining in the EU, you’d be championing their cause. You know I’m right.

D

Deleted member 22389

Yes but you’re taking us for fools. We know that the reason you are against these protests is because you hate everything you deem to be touchy feely, left wing issues.

Believe what you wish to believe but don’t dress it up as concern for the school ratings.

If they were out of school protesting against remaining in the EU, you’d be championing their cause. You know I’m right.

No I wouldn't actually, because I know and understand the pressure schools and teachers are under to ensure good grades. Kids taking every Friday off helps nobody.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Well bully for you. My step-daughter is preparing for her 4th attempt at GCSE Maths ..... something she absolutely needs to go to Uni in September. She needs every extra hour of tuition she can get. My eldest son is a borderline pass in English ..... which he needs to do the A Levels he wants to do in September. Once again he needs every hour of teaching he can get. Both are getting twilight sessions and private tutors to assist them. It's not as black and white as 'a few hours out won't hurt'.

Regardless, the chanting showed this is now a political thing kids are skipping school for not an apolitical thing as it shoud be.

Clearly not for the highly intelligent kids like you. For those on the cusp of a pass/fail and extra hour here and there works wonders .... I've seen it with my own eyes.

Many many many teachers would also disagree with you.

This is obviously quite a personal thing, and it’s also Saturday morning, so I’ll leave the discussion here and wish your children well in their exams and their further plans.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Tbf to HT he is outside the tent pissing in, I didn’t allow my 15 yo daughter to go to the protest.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No I wouldn't actually, because I know and understand the pressure schools and teachers are under to ensure good grades. Kids taking every Friday off helps nobody.

It’s debatable. Some schools the kids are actively encouraged to engage in stuff like yesterday; it’s part of their development and education. And kids are out of school for many things which are sometimes even facilitated by the school. It’s more about quality, as opposed to quantity.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
It’s debatable. Some schools the kids are actively encouraged to engage in stuff like yesterday; it’s part of their development and education. And kids are out of school for many things which are sometimes even facilitated by the school. It’s more about quality, as opposed to quantity.

Not sure you’ll find bunking off school in the school curriculum but as someone said earlier “keep pissing in the tent from the outside”

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here