Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Schools 4 Climate Action - great turn out in Brighton

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Apart from putting out the recycling every fortnight, I really don't know what else people can and are expected to do.
That's all I do because I don't have time to protest but at least people are trying.

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Apart from putting out the recycling every fortnight, I really don't know what else people can and are expected to do.

Really, really? You complain about people calling the likes of you thick and then you come out with this absolute belter. Have you been living in a hole in the ground or do you just switch off when climate change is mentioned?

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Bloody Hell, are you for real? Do you not take any notice of anything at all?

Instead of railing against the Climate Protesters perhaps you should spend a little time educating yourself about why they are protesting, and what we CAN do to at least attempt to limit the potential disaster that awaits our planet.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

- Think about some dietary choices: no ones asking you to go vegan but a couple of meat free days a week, occasionally swapping cows milk for a plant alternative
- If possible make some shorter journeys by bike/walking rather than taking the car
- If going on a trip to Europe, consider a train rather than plane (of course not always possible)
- Dont just recycle but reuse what you can
- Elimate use of plastic bags, use some net bags or other alternatives
- By a good quality water bottle/flask and take that instead of buying coffee/water when out (not at the Amex of course)
- If you have access to outside garden space (or even a balcony) grow what food you can

There’s plenty of small little choices which I don’t think are too big or inconvenient , maybe you do them maybe you don’t but it all helps.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

:facepalm:

An astonishing response. Truly astonishing.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Great to see so many protesters in London over the last few days.

Lots of predictable lazy language from the right wing press as you'd expect.

But you have to ask yourself, what is in it for them, what do they have to gain from the situation?

They personally stand to lose a lot. They're better than me, the fact is I wouldn't be prepared to take accept a caution or have a criminal record for the sake of what is now a climate emergency

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Jesus wept blood.

I don't normally agree with him but there is a reality behind what he is saying. People are not given enough information to follow, most people have busy and stressful lives and changing habits and routines isn't super easy, nor is researching about it in the first place. Ultimately, whilst small acts by normal people will help (certainly in changing the mind set of society and hopefully pushing the government) the main changes need to come from above and be systemic. Debra and John down the road religiously separating plastic from paper is all well and good and should be actively encouraged but we are past the point where that is enough. It's such a huge issue that the collective apathy is understandable, it seems out of peoples agency and control, paralysing action and response. Look at the money raised for Notre Dame; it's a simple problem and solution, even if costly, but because people can see what needs to be done and a way of doing it, people act (of course in this case it is limited to the very wealthy).

Calling people idiots isn't helpful, nor is calling people patronising for responding and caring.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
- Think about some dietary choices: no ones asking you to go vegan but a couple of meat free days a week, occasionally swapping cows milk for a plant alternative
- If possible make some shorter journeys by bike/walking rather than taking the car
- If going on a trip to Europe, consider a train rather than plane (of course not always possible)
- By a good quality water bottle/flask and take that instead of buying coffee/water when out (not at the Amex of course)
- If you have access to outside garden space (or even a balcony) grow what food you can

There’s plenty of small little choices which I don’t think are too big or inconvenient , maybe you do them maybe you don’t but it all helps.

Sensible choices.

It can't be a few thousand people being purists, it needs millions to act. The best way is to vote out governments that aren't doing enough to change human behaviour

Local elections is a good place to start....

D

Deleted member 22389

Thanks for the sensible reply. I do all those things too. I do reuse what I can.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton
Sensible choices.

It can't be a few thousand people being purists, it needs millions to act. The best way is to vote out governments that aren't doing enough to change human behaviour

Fully agree. However societies attitudes and government policy interrelate. If a large enough segment of society show willingness for change then political parties can be more adventurous in their manifesto's and hopefully put some real policy into place. If public opinion turns its nose up at charging a few pennies for a plastic bag, it would be suicidal for a party to push for wider more extreme measures, and unfortunately none of the major politicians have the nerve to try it.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Our clubs record on the environment isn't great it?

a) Shouldn't Barber be installing water fountains in the concourse and allowing people to enter with recyclable containers?

b) We should be allowing supporters to purchase a hot drinks with our own multi use containers

c) What about membership packs? How many end up in landfill, there should be an opt out

d) Nice pictures, but a lot of plastic in land fill as well from all those flags at Wembley. Might sound a kill joy but tonnes of landfill, perhaps they should think again

Any other suggestions, time for a letter to PB.....

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
How about no more matches under floodlight, just like in the 3 day week days?
That would go down well, wouldn't it!:ohmy:

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
The best way is to vote out governments that aren't doing enough to change human behaviour

Agree - however interesting one about the local elections - Mother in law lives in Brighton and the system for recycling seems poor, and level of recycling seems very low.

When I checked I found the % Level of recycling in B&Hove at just over 30%

Compare that with Horsham which is now over 50%

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[TWEET]1118798080458076161[/TWEET]

This highlights for me the big issue I have with Climate Change deniers. Sure, if you want to not believe it, knock yourself out. But surely even if you don't believe it it's still better to be safe than sorry and act to reduce pollution and emissions anyway? A bit like how I don't believe in God but I still realise that being nice to people and not killing them is a better thing to be doing than not.

D

Deleted member 22389

Agree - however interesting one about the local elections - Mother in law lives in Brighton and the system for recycling seems poor, and level of recycling seems very low.

Do you know what Brighton Council supply their residents with. When LDC started we had a bag for cardboard and paper, and a plastic bin for cans, it put me off recycling. They then introduced one bin for all, which is so much better. May be that is the reason.

BrickTamland

Mar 2, 2010
Brighton

Where I live here in Stockholm we had some recycling rage recently (the Swedes take it seriously!) I live in a relatively big block of flats, here its normal that each block of flats has it's own recycling house in the basement, ground floor or in a separate building in the very close vicinity. The landlords are useless and have delayed the opening of the recycling house (its a new build) so people have had to walk 15 mins down the road to get rid of their recycling properly. 2 weeks ago the landlords announced they were scrapping plans for the RH all together so a group of tenants have now started taking all their recycling and leaving it outside the landlords office (before eventually taking it away and recycling properly, so Swedish). Last week the landlords announced the RH will be finished in 2 weeks time.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Well it’s a good job people that actually matter don’t share your strange opinion.

They don't share my opinion. I believe that the facts and the truth of things actually matters if you want to address problems.

They, and you, apparently don't.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here