Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football365: Brighton are returning to the mean...

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
can't argue with much of that ......ranieri and dyche figured it out easy enough ......we really need some top flight ammo .....1 x striker 1 x midfield general .

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
can't argue with much of that ......ranieri and dyche figured it out easy enough ......we really need some top flight ammo .....1 x striker 1 x midfield general .

Agreed.
I'd like to think the focus in the summer (if we stay up) will be to upgrade the Midfield and upfront. We might need to get back up RB and LB if Bruno and Bong leave but the money HAS to be spent further up the field.

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
Fair enough, but having spent a few bob on the squad , we should be looking to have improved on last year, not just standing still.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Need to stop trying to sniff out bargains from all over the place. The failure rate's too high and is no substitute for proven PL experience. Just look at the Burnley game. We had both Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood on our books at one time. Both produce the goods on a regular basis. Time to start looking closer to home and paying the going rate.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Need to stop trying to sniff out bargains from all over the place. The failure rate's too high and is no substitute for proven PL experience. Just look at the Burnley game. We had both Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood on our books at one time. Both produce the goods on a regular basis. Time to start looking closer to home and paying the going rate.

Neither of which had had consistent Premier League experience before being promoted. This idea that you need Premier League experience is a total fallacy. Look back at the summer signings - a majority of all signings across the board from all clubs didn't come with Premier League experience.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
.....and unlike the article somebody linked to yesterday(?), this journo has done a bit of research.

"And here’s a prediction: they’ll survive this year too. Why? The schedule. On the downside, they still have to play Wolves and Leicester away, and four of the top six. But two of those are Arsenal (A) and Manchester City (H) in the last two weeks of the season, where the opponents may have nothing to play for. More importantly, Brighton also play Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton and Newcastle – the worst team in the league and three of their direct rivals – all at home. That’s where they’ve picked up five of their seven wins. If the side are at the same level as last year’s, and don’t hit an unlucky streak, they should be okay".
As some have pointed out on NSC, our recent slump was predicted. Unwelcome, it is true, but pretty much expected given the fixtures. No time for complacency, and we do need to pick up a bit after Fulham and Burnley - which didn't quite fit the script - but fingers crossed, we should still be OK.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Excellent analysis.

Just like most of NSC...!

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Fair enough, but having spent a few bob on the squad , we should be looking to have improved on last year, not just standing still.

Yeah, but we spent a few bob on too much unproven mediocrity and on too many players. Lessons need to be learnt from this season and concentrate on quality over quantity. It's hard to say we've signed any really undroppable players since being in the Prem.

Ryan has done ok (and I accept I'm in the minority but he still doesn't fill me with confidence and doesn't command his box enough - just my view), Montoya looks very average and not much of an improvement on Bruno, Andone - rarely given the chance to play (so dury's still out for me, as it is with Bissouma - looks promising but rarely given a consistent run of games)

Propper has been ok but lacks any threat on goal, Izy after a promising debut season has been injured and inconsistent (reminds me a bit of Lua Lua (flashes of brilliance and then annoymous for several games), Gross after a good debut season has been largely ineffective this season (although it's arguable he's been played out of position), Bernardo does look good but I want to see him play 20 odd games in a row - again consistency an issue.

Sutner and Schelotto have already been moved on, Balogun and Burn do look decent back ups for Duffy and Dunk, Ali J has been ineffective so far (although he has had an injury and been on Asian Cup duty), and Locadia has shown now in a run of games he is just not at this level (again just my view from what I see each week).

So although the new signings have all contributed to varying degrees, I just don't any of them look so good they are undroppable. I really hoped that at least a couple this year would have made a real mark on the team and helped us to push on. I don't see us finishing above last seasons points total although there is still time. I hope my pessimism is proven to be unfounded and we finish mid table, but if we do stay up by the skin of our teeth then the recruitment has to be reviewed for next summer.

Lever

Feb 6, 2019
I think if we survive this season then we must get a proven goalscorer in and possibly an experienced quality midfield 'general'.....

Seagull

Yes I eat anything
Feb 28, 2009
On the wing
It's a good analysis. Those home games vs the basement teams are pretty vital but win them all and it's 39 points already ...

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Yeah, but we spent a few bob on too much unproven mediocrity and on too many players. Lessons need to be learnt from this season and concentrate on quality over quantity. It's hard to say we've signed any really undroppable players since being in the Prem.

Ryan has done ok (and I accept I'm in the minority but he still doesn't fill me with confidence and doesn't command his box enough - just my view), Montoya looks very average and not much of an improvement on Bruno, Andone - rarely given the chance to play (so dury's still out for me, as it is with Bissouma - looks promising but rarely given a consistent run of games)

Propper has been ok but lacks any threat on goal, Izy after a promising debut season has been injured and inconsistent (reminds me a bit of Lua Lua (flashes of brilliance and then annoymous for several games), Gross after a good debut season has been largely ineffective this season (although it's arguable he's been played out of position), Bernardo does look good but I want to see him play 20 odd games in a row - again consistency an issue.

Sutner and Schelotto have already been moved on, Balogun and Burn do look decent back ups for Duffy and Dunk, Ali J has been ineffective so far (although he has had an injury and been on Asian Cup duty), and Locadia has shown now in a run of games he is just not at this level (again just my view from what I see each week).

So although the new signings have all contributed to varying degrees, I just don't any of them look so good they are undroppable. I really hoped that at least a couple this year would have made a real mark on the team and helped us to push on. I don't see us finishing above last seasons points total although there is still time. I hope my pessimism is proven to be unfounded and we finish mid table, but if we do stay up by the skin of our teeth then the recruitment has to be reviewed for next summer.

Care to tear apart the remaining players that secured us promotion too?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Great analysis. We've missed Izzy big time. I'm disappointed we didn't sign Moussa Dembele, he's got 7 goals and 3 assists for Lyon in 20 matches since leaving Celtic.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
People say we need to buy a midfielder but what about the 2 we have signed and loaned back to their clubs, yes they are young but if good enough age is not a problem just look at Guendouzi of Arsenal for proof

Last edited:

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
Really interesting. Hard to argue with the assessment that all things considered, we are where we should be right now.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
Spot on assessment and nothing surprises me in that article in the least.

What we do know now is that we have to start producing those consistent averages for us to survive this run of games coming to the tail-end of the season.

The recent performances against Burnley and Fulham will have dented the confidence of the players, losing our only other striker for three games (two to go) doesn't help either.

We need everyone fit and available from here on in, buckle up for the ride.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here