Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Football365: Brighton are returning to the mean...

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world
Excellent read,absolutely nailed how we are performing,I hope the powers that be are of the same opinion and if we do stay up spend the necessary money to bring in the players we need to go up that extra level.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
As I've said before, every player in our squad has attributes and they are all good, hard working players. We certainly need to improve with at least 2 or 3 'special' players or 'match winners' but whichever players are replaced, there will be people on here saying that they deserve to play and pointing out their undoubted qualities. Very tough decisions are going to be needed in the summer should we survive, but a team of good players isn't enough if we want to progress, the Championship is full of such teams.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Yeah, but we spent a few bob on too much unproven mediocrity and on too many players. Lessons need to be learnt from this season and concentrate on quality over quantity. It's hard to say we've signed any really undroppable players since being in the Prem.

Ryan has done ok (and I accept I'm in the minority but he still doesn't fill me with confidence and doesn't command his box enough - just my view), Montoya looks very average and not much of an improvement on Bruno, Andone - rarely given the chance to play (so dury's still out for me, as it is with Bissouma - looks promising but rarely given a consistent run of games)

Propper has been ok but lacks any threat on goal, Izy after a promising debut season has been injured and inconsistent (reminds me a bit of Lua Lua (flashes of brilliance and then annoymous for several games), Gross after a good debut season has been largely ineffective this season (although it's arguable he's been played out of position), Bernardo does look good but I want to see him play 20 odd games in a row - again consistency an issue.

Sutner and Schelotto have already been moved on, Balogun and Burn do look decent back ups for Duffy and Dunk, Ali J has been ineffective so far (although he has had an injury and been on Asian Cup duty), and Locadia has shown now in a run of games he is just not at this level (again just my view from what I see each week).

So although the new signings have all contributed to varying degrees, I just don't any of them look so good they are undroppable. I really hoped that at least a couple this year would have made a real mark on the team and helped us to push on. I don't see us finishing above last seasons points total although there is still time. I hope my pessimism is proven to be unfounded and we finish mid table, but if we do stay up by the skin of our teeth then the recruitment has to be reviewed for next summer.

Good honest post.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I don't think our recruitment has been that bad. How we utilise and coach players is questionabl.

Propper, scored more for Netherlands that Brighton. So he can shoot, why is he held back?
Locadia, scored a shit load last season, so clearly has the ability, why has he been so lacklustre ?
Ali J, hasn't shown anything. . .

Yes Championship regulars have played up, but can't over achieve every week. . .

Something is stifling certain aspects of our play, and it's costing us.

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004
Need to stop trying to sniff out bargains from all over the place. The failure rate's too high and is no substitute for proven PL experience. Just look at the Burnley game. We had both Ashley Barnes and Chris Wood on our books at one time. Both produce the goods on a regular basis. Time to start looking closer to home and paying the going rate.

Burnely did to us what we did to Wolves at home. Defend heroically and take your chances when they come. Also remember Burnley had fortune due to ref/lino incompetence. Swings and roundabouts.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Burnely did to us what we did to Wolves at home. Defend heroically and take your chances when they come. Also remember Burnley had fortune due to ref/lino incompetence. Swings and roundabouts.

Agree...v unlucky not to beat Watford too, dominated the game. Small margins (on the other side, we mugged West Ham at home, Wolves at home and Newcastle away).

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Shame we missed out on Delaney and Dembele. Those two are probably the type with that little extra straight away.

I do think two thirds of the young players we signed will come good for us though. Any club would take that success rate at this level.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
.....and unlike the article somebody linked to yesterday(?), this journo has done a bit of research.

As some have pointed out on NSC, our recent slump was predicted. Unwelcome, it is true, but pretty much expected given the fixtures. No time for complacency, and we do need to pick up a bit after Fulham and Burnley - which didn't quite fit the script - but fingers crossed, we should still be OK.

I think that's fair. The Burnley game was the first real recent disappointment. We were incredibly unlucky against Watford and would've won 2-0 or 3-0 on another weekend. We've still got time to get the required points.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
The new signings last summer have expanded the squad but not improved the first XI. Bissouma and Andone look good but obviously aren't trusted to start ahead of Gross and Murray. Bernardo is the exception but got injured at the wrong time. Kayal was arguably the pick of our midfield when he was rested after the Leicester home game so as not to pick up a fifth yellow and hasn't started a league game since.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here