Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Andy Townsend: Lest he forgets

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Is this bloke for real? His punditry is bad enough, but his hypocrisy tips him well over the edge.

Get the blokes in white coats!!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/47234482

Snippet

I don't know if I'd call it hypocrisy, he isn't questioning the rule that allows you to play for your parents/grandparents place of birth. He's questioning the rule that allows players to change international allegiances providing they've not made a full competitive appearance for a nation.

I agree about the rest of his punditry though.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Winks and Rice coming through.

Exciting for England.

As for Townsend its ok , as apparently he's a right laugh on the beers

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Are you also including Sir Chris in this as he said almost the same ?

Never seen CH say it, if he has then yes, cockney boys (just seen above, Townsend not being a cockerney) thinking the rule is wrong is a bit laughable... isn't it?

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Think he’s got a point. Jumping between nations isn’t right really. If you make a senior appearance that should be that.

Not sure where the hypocrisy is unless he played for England in a non-competitive game before playing for Ireland.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I find it tough to get worked up by Andy Townsend's opinion on anything.

I guess this is the world we now live in.

#Sad.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
I really struggle to see why anyone has an issue with a dual nationality 20 year old being unsure of which nationality he wants to represent. So yeh, it seems a tad hypocritical considering his own background.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I like Townsend. Never quite understood why he attracts so much vitriol.

his ability to say nonsense ("they started well, Jim" first minute in and one touch of the ball) or to contradict himself within minutes of saying something about the game.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Think he’s got a point. Jumping between nations isn’t right really. If you make a senior appearance that should be that.

Not sure where the hypocrisy is unless he played for England in a non-competitive game before playing for Ireland.

So it's ok to jump ship to a nation you really have no affiliation with, because basically that is the point at hand. Taking out the bits that suit you don't really cut the mustard.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
So it's ok to jump ship to a nation you really have no affiliation with, because basically that is the point at hand. Taking out the bits that suit you don't really cut the mustard.

What are you going on about? Both qualified for Ireland through grandparents. It’s not exactly no affiliation.

The issue here is people jumping between nationalities after having played for one (which is totally wrong and I agree with Townsend pointing this out). Can’t work out the hypocrisy as Townsend didn’t jump nations.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here