Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Andy Townsend: Lest he forgets

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
To be fair, your point was incorrect.

Townsend was arguing that once you've played for a country, you shouldn't be able to switch. A point many would agree with, I imagine.

Andy Townsend never represented any other country than Ireland at any level.

The hypocrisy would be if he said 'You shouldn't be allowed to choose which country you play for"......

Quite different.

And as I pointed out, it's very easy to cherry pick what should and shouldn't be allowed, as he has done. But... I give up.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
When Townsend chose to play for another country, our central midfielders were Bryan Robson, Gazza, McMahon, Neil Webb.

You’re talking about years later post his decision in the brief Taylor era and for some unknown reason have bunged in some wingers.

I put the wingers in to highlight the shiteness of our midfield. The reason why I put in the Taylor midfield was, yes I agree he probably wouldn’t have made the squad whilst playing for Norwich late eighties but if he had of not pursued the Ireland option he would have bagged 50 caps or more on the basis he was a half decent player and our midfield was pony from 91-95.

Even Kevin Richardson picked up a cap around 94. And I won’t even talk about Geoff Thomas.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
To be fair, your point was incorrect.

Townsend was arguing that once you've played for a country, you shouldn't be able to switch. A point many would agree with, I imagine.

Andy Townsend never represented any other country than Ireland at any level.

The hypocrisy would be if he said 'You shouldn't be allowed to choose which country you play for"......

Quite different.

The replies on this thread are quite funny. Enough said. :lolol:

luppers

Aug 10, 2008
Didim, Turkey
No hypocrisy at all from him. He is arguing that once you've committed to whichever nationality you chose to represent, that should be it.

He has openly said he understands WHY Rice has done it. He doesn't think it's right to play for a country and then switch. He is not arguing about the fact you can choose which country you want to play for if you qualify for more than one.

"I think once you have made the decision to play for a team, that should be it and you should get on with it."

That sums up the whole article.

Still, carry on.

Well said,totally agree with what you have said

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Kevin Kilbane, who was born in Preston but won 110 Republic of Ireland caps, tweeted: "If you're a 'proud Englishman' then why play for us in the first place?"

Yawn

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here