Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Andy Townsend: Lest he forgets

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Whilst Townsend's hypocrisy is amusing, I get the Irish having the hump over this. A bloke called Declan, with a Guiness in one hand and a leprechaun on his shoulder declares himself English. Straight out the Kevin Pieterson manual of national affiliation.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
What are you going on about? Both qualified for Ireland through grandparents. It’s not exactly no affiliation.

The issue here is people jumping between nationalities after having played for one (which is totally wrong and I agree with Townsend pointing this out). Can’t work out the hypocrisy as Townsend didn’t jump nations.

Spent his career playing in the English leagues, born in England, parentage line on one side opt out. It's ok for him, an Englishman to play for Ireland, but he uses a cop out to say his situation is different, it isn't at all.

Da Man Clay

T'Blades
Dec 16, 2004
Spent his career playing in the English leagues, born in England, parentage line on one side opt out. It's ok for him, an Englishman to play for Ireland, but he uses a cop out to say his situation is different, it isn't at all.

His situation is very clearly different though? He is a quarter Irish. Probably would have played for England if he was good enough granted but it’s difficult to argue that he had done similar to Rice. Townsend didn’t even play in the English youth set up.

What do you think should be the criteria for playing for an international? 50% or more of that nationality?

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Another cockney who chose Jack’s Ireland because he wasn’t good enough for England.

Our midfield quartet of Carlton Palmer, David Batty, Andy Sinton & Lee Sharpe was feared across Europe! I’m sure Townsend would have gained c.50 caps if he chose to play for us.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I'm gonna be VERY disappointed if THAT Andy Townsend video isn't posted in this thread...:lol:

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
It has always been a mess. I recall our very own Eric Young by being born in Singapore 'as a British citizen entitled him to represent any of the constituent countries of the United Kingdom at international level. He opted for Wales, despite having no family connection to that country'.

It should be only your Country of birth or your parents as the could be working abroad. Grandparents has always been stretching it too far.

Trevor

In my Fifties, still know nothing
NSC Patreon
Dec 16, 2012
Milton Keynes
I can't get too bothered about this. I used to think it was really funny when there was barely an Irish accent in the Jack Charlton team - that anomaly seems more of an issue than the question of whether you can switch after playing a friendly.

None of this is as important as where have I left my slippers.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
His situation is very clearly different though? He is a quarter Irish. Probably would have played for England if he was good enough granted but it’s difficult to argue that he had done similar to Rice. Townsend didn’t even play in the English youth set up.

What do you think should be the criteria for playing for an international? 50% or more of that nationality?

I think you're missing the point a bit on the hypocrisy thing.

Ireland have historically been massive manipulators of the qualification system. They have bent the rules repeatedly to get players to play for them under highly dubious means (McClean and Cascarino spring to mind). Townsend had never even been to Ireland before he qualified to play for them. I don't buy this one quarter Irish stuff - Rice was born in London and his parents are both English and how can Townsend claim to be in any way Irish when he hadn't even been there?

The hypocrisy lies in the fact that Ireland have suffered the loss of a player to another nation using the same system as they used claim players who weren't Irish.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
No hypocrisy at all from him. He is arguing that once you've committed to whichever nationality you chose to represent, that should be it.

He has openly said he understands WHY Rice has done it. He doesn't think it's right to play for a country and then switch. He is not arguing about the fact you can choose which country you want to play for if you qualify for more than one.

"I think once you have made the decision to play for a team, that should be it and you should get on with it."

That sums up the whole article.

Still, carry on.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
Absolutely; Andy isn't questioning Declan's right to choose who he wants to play for, but whether he should have the right to swap to another country if a "better" offer comes along. It's all rather academic anyway, as he would have won F-all with RO Ireland and will win F-all with England...

What are you going on about? Both qualified for Ireland through grandparents. It’s not exactly no affiliation.

The issue here is people jumping between nationalities after having played for one (which is totally wrong and I agree with Townsend pointing this out). Can’t work out the hypocrisy as Townsend didn’t jump nations.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Our midfield quartet of Carlton Palmer, David Batty, Andy Sinton & Lee Sharpe was feared across Europe! I’m sure Townsend would have gained c.50 caps if he chose to play for us.

When Townsend chose to play for another country, our central midfielders were Bryan Robson, Gazza, McMahon, Neil Webb.

You’re talking about years later post his decision in the brief Taylor era and for some unknown reason have bunged in some wingers.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
The restrictions on effectively choosing your nation are thankfully stricter than in Rugby, Cricket Athletics.

However they should be stricter still

Restricted to ...

Country of birth or
Parents nationality or
Country where you have lived the last 10 years

However, playing for a country at any age group ties you to playing for that team.

The idea that you can wait to see how good you are going to be before choosing a country diminishes international sport. It's not a matter of convenience.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The restrictions on effectively choosing your nation are thankfully stricter than in Rugby, Cricket Athletics.

However they should be stricter still

Restricted to ...

Country of birth or
Parents nationality or
Country where you have lived the last 10 years

However, playing for a country at any age group ties you to playing for that team.

The idea that you can wait to see how good you are going to be before choosing a country diminishes international sport. It's not a matter of convenience.

Would be great, and stop the grandparents route.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
I think you're missing the point a bit on the hypocrisy thing.

Ireland have historically been massive manipulators of the qualification system. They have bent the rules repeatedly to get players to play for them under highly dubious means (McClean and Cascarino spring to mind). Townsend had never even been to Ireland before he qualified to play for them. I don't buy this one quarter Irish stuff - Rice was born in London and his parents are both English and how can Townsend claim to be in any way Irish when he hadn't even been there?

The hypocrisy lies in the fact that Ireland have suffered the loss of a player to another nation using the same system as they used claim players who weren't Irish.

I gave up arguing the point.

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
I gave up arguing the point.

To be fair, your point was incorrect.

Townsend was arguing that once you've played for a country, you shouldn't be able to switch. A point many would agree with, I imagine.

Andy Townsend never represented any other country than Ireland at any level.

The hypocrisy would be if he said 'You shouldn't be allowed to choose which country you play for"......

Quite different.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here