Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is it just me?

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I love good manners and have instilled this in my kids.
I make it a point to be polite and if it is treated with indifference then I lay it on even thicker to piss the other person off.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good manners cost nothing, bad manners do if one of customers is unpleasant on the phone I’m thinking well your job may take a little longer than normal :)

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
An excellent one - fresh homemade good ol' English scoff. Homemade Steak & Kid Pud, roasts with meat carved from the joint, proper puds including spotted dick. (and "specials" from time to time).

Great value - best in town.

Steak and Kidney Pud and Spotted Dick? How have I missed this paradise? 10% Discount for Season ticket holders? ha ha

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Good manners cost nothing, bad manners do if one of customers is unpleasant on the phone I’m thinking well your job may take a little longer than normal :)

Good. And yet some people are too stupid/ignorant to realise the basics.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
only-a-gent.png

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería
Tips actually means ‘To Insure Prompt Service’ and when introduced it was paid on arrival, to insure that there wouldn’t be any problems during the meal.
I tip when I think that an effort has been made to make my experience smoother and more enjoyable, if it hasn’t then I don’t.

That looks like a backronym to me.

Worthing exile

May 12, 2009
I walk most nights for about an hour with my daughter and insist that I walk on the road side for her protection.

Wasn't it originally so that the Gentleman always walked on the right (not nearest traffic) so that he had his sword hand free?

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Tips actually means ‘To Insure Prompt Service’ and when introduced it was paid on arrival, to insure that there wouldn’t be any problems during the meal.
I tip when I think that an effort has been made to make my experience smoother and more enjoyable, if it hasn’t then I don’t.

That looks like a backronym to me.

“To Ensure Prompt Service” perhaps, though I’ve not heard of teps for good service. (Might be a Kiwi thing?)

Anyway, to summarise my thoughts on this thread...

I concur with all the annoyance at lack of basic manners. It really isn’t hard to just show a little gratitude and to say please when asking for something.

Also, I had never heard of Shorely Scrumptious before, but having read the positive comments on here and also looked it up on Trip Advisor, I’ll be heading there when next in Worthing (doesn’t happen often TBF). Hats off to lawros left foot for running such a well regarded cafe! Sounds amazing! :) :clap2:

Madafwo

I'm probably being facetious.
Nov 11, 2013
The Spanish and Italian don't tip as a rule as, like you say, being a waiter is considered a profession.

And if you're really quite good at it you get to manage Liverpool, Chelsea and Newcastle.

I always try and be polite and can't stand people not saying please and thank you, it's the thing above anything I hope my son is when he grows up, respectful and polite.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
“To Ensure Prompt Service” perhaps, though I’ve not heard of teps for good service. (Might be a Kiwi thing?)

I concur with all the annoyance at lack of basic manners. It really isn’t hard to just show a little gratitude and to say please when asking for something.

Also, I had never heard of Shorely Scrumptious before, but having read the positive comments on here and also looked it up on Trip Advisor, I’ll be heading there when next in Worthing (doesn’t happen often TBF). Hats off to lawros left foot for running such a well regarded cafe! Sounds amazing! :) :clap2:

Here here, wish I lived remotely near because it looks fantastic and a well loved local institute. As you say, to have no terrible Trip Advisor reviews is almost unheard of given the amount of nutters out there who mark places down because of the weather etc!

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
If anyone winds down their car window and says (for example) 'What's the way to Blah-de-blah Street?' .... I send them in the opposite direction for being so f-ing rude :)

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Good. And yet some people are too stupid/ignorant to realise the basics.
Some of the super wealthy are complete c.unts especially if they are from old money normally haven’t done a days work in their lives.I proper rinse them for their shitty attitude towards the working class.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
P2.jpg

It's called a hard stare - Aunt Lucy taught me to do them when people had forgotten their manners

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
I have just served 3 people with their lunch, and there was not one’please or thank you’
My daughter took their order, one of them asked for a dish we have never had on the menu, and got a bit arsey when she was told we couldn’t do it, I took their meals out, and wasn’t acknowledged at all.
They paid after their meal, without any of the normal courtesy.

We occasionally get one or two without good manners, but, these 3 really have annoyed me today, a complete lack of any type of courtesy, they were an elderly couple and I imagine, their daughter, so, it wasn’t an age thing, generally we find bad manners isn’t an age specific problem.

Does this type of thing wind anyone else up?

Pretty much the other way around here in CZ. Customer service is virtually non-existent outside the major cities, and even in the cities its limited.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

Thank you.

We’ve been here 18 years now our customer base is predominantly elderly people so, we cater for that, old fashioned British grub, in the main.
Vast majority of our fair is homemade, and all veg is fresh, except peas
The one ‘poor ‘ review on Trip Advisor still rankles, the customer didn’t like fried food on a fry-up:shrug:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here