Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is it just me?

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
I have just served 3 people with their lunch, and there was not one’please or thank you’
My daughter took their order, one of them asked for a dish we have never had on the menu, and got a bit arsey when she was told we couldn’t do it, I took their meals out, and wasn’t acknowledged at all.
They paid after their meal, without any of the normal courtesy.

We occasionally get one or two without good manners, but, these 3 really have annoyed me today, a complete lack of any type of courtesy, they were an elderly couple and I imagine, their daughter, so, it wasn’t an age thing, generally we find bad manners isn’t an age specific problem.

Does this type of thing wind anyone else up?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Do you not think that the 'good manners' you were taught as a child are generally falling away. When we are in Worthing town centre we will call in and promise to say please and thank you:smile:

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I have just served 3 people with their lunch, and there was not one’please or thank you’
My daughter took their order, one of them asked for a dish we have never had on the menu, and got a bit arsey when she was told we couldn’t do it, I took their meals out, and wasn’t acknowledged at all.

We occasionally get one or two without good manners, but, these 3 really have annoyed me today, a complete lack of any type of courtesy, they were an elderly couple and I imagine, their daughter, so, it wasn’t an age thing, generally we find bad manners isn’t an age specific problem.

Yes, in addition to a lack of please and thank-you

Not thanking for Christmas or Birthday presents
Not holding doors open
Not giving way in a car when the obstacle is on their side of the road
Not giving up seats for the elderly or others who obviously need a seat more
Queue jumping

And on and on

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Yes, in addition to a lack of please and thank-you

Not thanking for Christmas or Birthday presents
Not holding doors open
Not giving way in a car when the obstacle is on their side of the road
Not giving up seats for the elderly or others who obviously need a seat more
Queue jumping

And on and on

All basic good manners.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Do you not think that the 'good manners' you were taught as a child are generally falling away.

As I say, good manners don’t appear to be age specific in my experience. We get rude older people occasionally, but, a lot of the younger ones have very good manners, I think it’s possibly an intelligence related problem.

Jovis

Mar 30, 2012
The one that gets me is when you do hold a door open, and someone flounces through it without a word of acknowledgment...

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
What eatery do you run ?

Assuming your daughter works there

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It may be a result of the PC brigade and their constant criticism of anyone who tries to do something positive. Holding doors open, “after you”, etc. Seems that some elements of society are being dragged down to the bare bones and niceties are out of the window. Plus bad parenting!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
It may be a result of the PC brigade and their constant criticism of anyone who tries to do something positive. Holding doors open, “after you”, etc. Seems that some elements of society are being dragged down to the bare bones and niceties are out of the window. Plus bad parenting!

I really think this is a myth, maybe there is the odd( in more ways than one) one who would kick off about general good manners, but, it is only the odd one . Unfortunately, those who shout loudest, get heard the most.

In the real world, I think people like the small courtesies in life.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip

Where do you work?
Soup kitchen.
McDonalds.
Burger King.
AN Other.
Then that might explain it:D

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

Yes!

I’m guessing that they didn’t leave a tip either?

Waiting for the Ernest thread about his female relatives and the horrendous service they encountered in a Worthing restaurant.... :wink:

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003

I remember when I worked in a cafe and, on days I was feeling particularly spiky, would simply refuse to acknowledge anyone who didn't say "Please".

It was ALWAYS OAPs as well. Kids were unfailingly polite.

el punal

Sometimes being polite, well mannered and helpful can lead to dangerous consequences. Many moons ago in Western Road I helped an old lady, who was weighed down with shopping, cross the road. When we got to the other side instead of thanking me she hit me over the head with a baguette. :shrug:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here