Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Is it just me?

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Every now and then on a long drive I'll somehow forget to wave thanks if I'm let through. I IMMEDIATELY feel AWFUL.

Yet, at work, I'll hold the door open for some people and they LOOK at me and don't say a word. I don't understand how it's even possible to not acknowledge someone who does that. I'd MELT with shame.

I can relate to this. My car has tinted windows (not in a GANSTA way) just come as standard - especially the rear ones. I find myself waving acknowledgment sometimes, and worrying "Will he have seen that? I'd hate to look ungrateful!"

madinthehead

I have changed this
Jan 22, 2009
Oberursel, Germany
I have just served 3 people with their lunch, and there was not one’please or thank you’
My daughter took their order, one of them asked for a dish we have never had on the menu, and got a bit arsey when she was told we couldn’t do it, I took their meals out, and wasn’t acknowledged at all.
They paid after their meal, without any of the normal courtesy.

We occasionally get one or two without good manners, but, these 3 really have annoyed me today, a complete lack of any type of courtesy, they were an elderly couple and I imagine, their daughter, so, it wasn’t an age thing, generally we find bad manners isn’t an age specific problem.

Does this type of thing wind anyone else up?

Dont move to Germany.. Standard here...

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
The one that gets me is when you do hold a door open, and someone flounces through it without a word of acknowledgment...

This will bells on.

The "incident" that annoyed me the most was the woman customer on her mobile at the checkout of our locals Sainsburys. She carried on her conversation the entire time she was being served, presenting her debit/credit card at the end of the transaction, not acknowledging the person serving her once!

middletoenail

Jul 2, 2008
Hong Kong
I have just served 3 people with their lunch, and there was not one’please or thank you’
My daughter took their order, one of them asked for a dish we have never had on the menu, and got a bit arsey when she was told we couldn’t do it, I took their meals out, and wasn’t acknowledged at all.

We occasionally get one or two without good manners, but, these 3 really have annoyed me today, a complete lack of any type of courtesy, they were an elderly couple and I imagine, their daughter, so, it wasn’t an age thing, generally we find bad manners isn’t an age specific problem.

Is it at all possible that your food and/or service was not very good on this occasion?

Playing devils advocate!

mejonaNO12 aka riskit

Dec 4, 2003
England
Just feel good about yourself. Be happy that you're the sort of person who would do that for another. If I do a good deed, I don't care what I get back in response, I'm just happy to be ab]le to help. After all, there's no gift like giving.

I wish I didn't care. I just can't help an overly enthusiastic "You're WELCOME!!!" afterwards.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
I wish I didn't care. I just can't help an overly enthusiastic "You're WELCOME!!!" afterwards.

Don't get me wrong, it's rude to not acknowledge someone doing something positive for you, but I just see it as, glad I'm not them.

This is what I imagine of people who do what you mention-

after a Sunday family dinner out, they go home, sit on the couch together, whack the tv on and then just sit their in silence for the next 3 hours not saying a word other than "have we still got the ready salted crisps downstairs?" whilst no eye contact is made.

The next morning they wake up, dad sprinkles the garden, wife comes out takes the washing off the line, daughter goes to work, and yet none of them have said a word to each other in all of that.

That evening, daughter gets back from work, sits on the couch for 3 hours with family, asks dad if there's any ready salted crisps downstairs, dad says "no", and so the cycle goes on.

There's a dark place in our society that no one sees, I suppose a lack of manners might be the clue to where it lies.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I can relate to this. My car has tinted windows (not in a GANSTA way) just come as standard - especially the rear ones. I find myself waving acknowledgment sometimes, and worrying "Will he have seen that? I'd hate to look ungrateful!"

All about a few flashes of the hazards if the car you are thanking is behind you and one flash of the headlights if in front of you.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
Well at least they payed, that's the main thing. I knew people back in the day who encouraged me to run out of an Indian restaurant. They are no longer friends.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
No, they were just bad mannered, no complaints from them just ignorant and rude.

Yes, but you don't know what awful childhoods they had, how much they were beaten and abused as children, how many traumas came their way that they had to fight their way through even to survive. Or maybe they were devout and saintly pilgrims, bound together by a vow of silence - could be all sorts of reasons. You can't just go round randomly calling out people for perceived rudeness without full knowledge of all the relevant facts.

:fishing:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

Don't stress over it. You only had to share oxygen with them for an hour. They, on the other hand, have to spend every waking hour being wankers.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
In other news, some people are *****!

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
The one that gets me is when you do hold a door open, and someone flounces through it without a word of acknowledgment...
I get the same feeling at the Amex when people push along our row without so much as a polite “excuse me” - young and old.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
People have always been rude, in fairness we admire it! But I think many people increasing lack common courtesies such as please and thank you, especially in ‘shared’ environments e.g. it’s one thing to ignore your screaming / misbehaving child in a restaurant but in a library, like the one I visited today, it’s more common than you’d think. Basically we need more grumpy people like me to say something and drag standards up from the gutter that recent generations of parents irresponsibly let them sink to :thumbsup:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
It’s a balance. Manners are an absolute essential but raise kids to be too polite and they get taken advantage of in life and end up sitting at junctions for hours.

But if someone doesn’t offer a please or thank you in the course of things they are ignorant wallys.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
At the local chippie a couple weeks ago I walked in ahead of a group of about 8 students, Male and female. I held the door for the first couple, no acknowledgement or attempt by any of them to hold the door open for their friends. That was my cue to let the door go into the face (not literally) of the next one through.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Few weeks ago I was driving from Worthing to Hove and as I passed Lancing I ended up with Bruno driving in front of me for a lot of my journey. He did the hazards flash thing to thank me after I let him pull in front of me and at pretty much at every opportunity to let some in the line of traffic or let a pedestrian cross the road he would do. Nothing but good manners and courtesy from him. Was nice to see that even though he is adored by thousands and has shitloads of money he was still a thoroughly decent person.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here