Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reliance on Murray isn't the cause of Brighton's slump

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Having seen MOTD on Saturday it was interesting to watch the Saints v Cardiff game, in the last minute, in open play Cardiff had five players in the opposition penalty area. The only time we get this number of players forward is from set play and even then we could push more on.
We need to get more players in advanced positions, we are far too easy to defend against in open play.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
I think what this misses is that in shifting formation to use Propper and Gross further forward, this leaves Stephens alone as a "ball-winning midfielder" and when he wins the ball he's almost always go to go backwards because a) players push up on him so fast and b) there so little movement in front of him. We therefore completely lose any quick forward impetus and Murray ends up doubled up and marked too quickly.

Additionally, our lack of direct wingers (specifically a fit Izquierdo, a fully up-to-speed Jahanbakhsh and a consistent Knockaert) has driven this change to try and get more midfield impetus going forward, however, because of the above point this may have cost us both pace on the break and Gross as a creative force.

Murray has never been the problem, he's been the saviour in my opinion. What we need is pace again and we've had none this season.

Just my view, but we're not anywhere near as bad as some have suggested. We've been ravaged by attacking injuries this season and it's beginning to tell.

and by stupid and unnecessary red cards leading to three match suspensions that have destabilised the team.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The big problem for me is Stephens.

In our set up, and in most teams, he is playing in the most important position on the pitch. In simplistic terms that position stops goals and starts attacks, it is the transition between defence and attack and unfortunately that is where we have been weakest this season. Our transitional play is just diabolical, slow and lacking any real pattern of play. This isn’t just a Stephens issue mind you, it also suggests limited coaching (Maybe Hughton could do with some additional help with this - are Trollope and the other coaches good enough?).

He’s been a great servant for us but unfortunately Stephens just isn’t good enough at either aspect of the game for the premier league. It’s painful seeing us start so many games with Stephens ahead of a superior player in Bissouma who can do both parts very well. Clearly there are other issues and in both boxes we need more support but put a better, premier league standard player (Bissouma) in that position and we’re a different proposition straight away IMO.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I have put our bad form and terrible run behind me and am now looking forward to seeing how we do against Derby. I’ll leave CH to decide how he deals with our shit run of form and shitty refs as well as the awkward team selection for Saturday.

I actually like ALL the players in our squad, I even warmed to March enough to think he is one of our best players. :shrug:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
I have put our bad form and terrible run behind me and am now looking forward to seeing how we do against Derby. I’ll leave CH to decide how he deals with our shit run of form and shitty refs as well as the awkward team selection for Saturday.

I actually like ALL the players in our squad, I even warmed to March enough to think he is one of our best players. :shrug:

March is under-rated by Brighton fans generally. He is a quality, exciting player but like most wingers, can be inconsistent.

If he could improve his final ball just a touch more he has the potential to be a top 6 player.

I’ve spoken to numerous opposition fans who really rate him.

Peter Ward

Dec 5, 2014
out back
"A strong midfield counts for 60 to 70 per cent of the game". Claudio Ranieri

Alex Ferguson believed that Roy Keane was the best player he ever had at Man United - despite lacking technical skills of his team-mates he had a ferocious desire to win the battle for control of the mid-field and Ferguson saw this as crucial to success.

This is where we have started to go astray: better control of the centre and increase the communication, flow and momentum of play up the field.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
You really don't rate big Jurgs ay

Waited best part of a year to c him play admits himself no good at heading which in itself is mind boggling can’t tackle will never go round anybody on the wing I’ll except he never set the fee but £14 mill wow what a waste of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
The big problem for me is Stephens.

In our set up, and in most teams, he is playing in the most important position on the pitch. In simplistic terms that position stops goals and starts attacks, it is the transition between defence and attack and unfortunately that is where we have been weakest this season. Our transitional play is just diabolical, slow and lacking any real pattern of play. This isn’t just a Stephens issue mind you, it also suggests limited coaching (Maybe Hughton could do with some additional help with this - are Trollope and the other coaches good enough?).

He’s been a great servant for us but unfortunately Stephens just isn’t good enough at either aspect of the game for the premier league. It’s painful seeing us start so many games with Stephens ahead of a superior player in Bissouma who can do both parts very well. Clearly there are other issues and in both boxes we need more support but put a better, premier league standard player (Bissouma) in that position and we’re a different proposition straight away IMO.

While I totally agree, against Arsenal Stephens was playing quick passes both short and long. Admittedly we were chasing the game however it highlights he can play a positive part maybe he is told to be cautious on the ball and play percentages.

One of the main things that has been an issue is the new signings taking a while to bed in or not improving what we already had. Key example of this would be Montoya who doesn’t seem to link up as well going forward as Bruno has done with Knockheart and March in the past.

Plain to see we lack any particular pace and flair and really Bissouma should be in ahead of an out of sorts Gross and ideally a fit Izquierdo in for Locadia and we could be okay with the below:

Ryan
Bruno Duffy Dunk Bernardo
Stephens Propper
March Bissouma Izquierdo
Murray

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
While I totally agree, against Arsenal Stephens was playing quick passes both short and long. Admittedly we were chasing the game however it highlights he can play a positive part maybe he is told to be cautious on the ball and play percentages.

Maybe.

Actually my biggest issue with Stephens is his positional awareness for such a crucial role. I don’t actually mind a player in that position just getting and giving it safely if they can win the ball back and give it to a player better at passing. Time and time again though he is caught out of position but because it’s not an obvious mistake like a foul or giving the ball away, he gets away without getting criticism for it. Classic example was Burnley’s first goal, he was completey caught in no mans land and mugged off by Barnes. He’s also not quick enough to make up for it.

Stats back this up aswell, he’s only made 22 interceptions this premier league season. As a comparison, Bissouma has made 19 in 540 less minutes on the pitch. Billing has made 47 for bottom of the table Huddersfield in the same position having played exactly the same amount of minutes.

Stephens then doesn’t have the positional awareness or pace to properly support the attack either.

Consistently playing him makes no sense to me at all.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
March is under-rated by Brighton fans generally. He is a quality, exciting player but like most wingers, can be inconsistent.

If he could improve his final ball just a touch more he has the potential to be a top 6 player.

I’ve spoken to numerous opposition fans who really rate him.

And if some people keep slagging him off,he'll be joining the opposition.Often wonder if some fans treatment of Barnes stops others wanting to come here.

PoG

Oct 29, 2013
Waited best part of a year to c him play admits himself no good at heading which in itself is mind boggling can’t tackle will never go round anybody on the wing I’ll except he never set the fee but £14 mill wow what a waste of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Earnt us those fours point though didn't he. It could be the difference at end of the season.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
Virtually the same position as last season. Set piece problem (attack and defence) is now acceptable, but open play chances created and conceded has deteriorated. By quite a lot so the reason cannot be put down entirely to the games missed through injury by Pascal Groß.

I think the set piece defending was easier to fix. Open play attacking requires technique with the final ball, which some Albion players seem to be able to manage from dead ball situations, but not when faced by good defenders and keepers in open play.

In short, results early in the season were overachieving and now we have been found out.

Last edited:

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
Totally irrelevant as it is more down to our inability to retain possession when we have the ball from the midfield /defence towards the final 1/3 of the pitch

I think that our midfield generally win the possession but then it falls down with our lack of retention of the ball or giving it away cheaply with misplaced passes and long hoofs to make them 50/50 balls for GM etc up front.

Simple really as he is the engine of the team and the only ball winning midfielder on our books, perhaps I should say only Premier quality ball winning midfielder.

I don't know if I'm in a parallel universe, but I agree with you...Has someone hacked your account?

Anyway you're totally right, our midfield does win the ball, but we don't seem to have the ability to do anything with it beyond lump it upfield, either in the vague direction of Murray or some crazy cross field ball toward March or Locadia. Whatever option we lose possession most of the time .

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
Totally irrelevant as it is more down to our inability to retain possession when we have the ball from the midfield /defence towards the final 1/3 of the pitch

We do give it away very cheaply, quite frequently. If the stats suggest we are not good at winning it back then this exaggerates the problem.

Invicta

NSC Patreon
Nov 1, 2013
Kent
And if some people keep slagging him off,he'll be joining the opposition.Often wonder if some fans treatment of Barnes stops others wanting to come here.

Doubt it, players go where the money is. Barnes admitted he left as Burnley offered him a longer deal.

I wished we'd kept him.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here