Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reliance on Murray isn't the cause of Brighton's slump

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
"A strong midfield counts for 60 to 70 per cent of the game". Claudio Ranieri

Alex Ferguson believed that Roy Keane was the best player he ever had at Man United - despite lacking technical skills of his team-mates he had a ferocious desire to win the battle for control of the mid-field and Ferguson saw this as crucial to success.

This is where we have started to go astray: better control of the centre and increase the communication, flow and momentum of play up the field.
Fully agree with this. Games are generally won and lost in midfield.

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
The big problem for me is Stephens.

In our set up, and in most teams, he is playing in the most important position on the pitch. In simplistic terms that position stops goals and starts attacks, it is the transition between defence and attack and unfortunately that is where we have been weakest this season. Our transitional play is just diabolical, slow and lacking any real pattern of play. This isn’t just a Stephens issue mind you, it also suggests limited coaching (Maybe Hughton could do with some additional help with this - are Trollope and the other coaches good enough?).

He’s been a great servant for us but unfortunately Stephens just isn’t good enough at either aspect of the game for the premier league. It’s painful seeing us start so many games with Stephens ahead of a superior player in Bissouma who can do both parts very well. Clearly there are other issues and in both boxes we need more support but put a better, premier league standard player (Bissouma) in that position and we’re a different proposition straight away IMO.

I agree that an upgrade on Stephens would be welcome, however the only other player in our squad that can play in the pivot/DCM position is Propper, and playing him there not only nullifies certain of his qualities, but also there's certain things that Stephens is better than Propper at, tackling and shielding most prominently.
Bissouma really does look like the most talented player in our squad, but there's no way that he looks as though he has the understanding nor the inclination to play the pivot/DCM role, and that really does look pretty obvious to me.

boik

Waited best part of a year to c him play admits himself no good at heading which in itself is mind boggling can’t tackle will never go round anybody on the wing I’ll except he never set the fee but £14 mill wow what a waste of money

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And yet 2 of our best chances were well placed Jurgen headers? Didn't look "no good" to me.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I agree that an upgrade on Stephens would be welcome, however the only other player in our squad that can play in the pivot/DCM position is Propper, and playing him there not only nullifies certain of his qualities, but also there's certain things that Stephens is better than Propper at, tackling and shielding most prominently.
Bissouma really does look like the most talented player in our squad, but there's no way that he looks as though he has the understanding nor the inclination to play the pivot/DCM role, and that really does look pretty obvious to me.

I think that’s a misconception about Bissouma that he’s not as good at the defensive side because he’s so much better than Stephens going forward but he really can do that part of the game. Watch the Palace game again, he was outstanding defensively. He is so good at nicking the ball off players and he actually averages more tackles and interceptions per game than Stephens.

I just think Propper and Bissouma both have the ability and intelligence to forge a great partnership. If one breaks forward, the other will sit. They both have much better positional awareness than Stephens and are more mobile to get back in to position when necessary.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Which particular 'stats' are you referring to? March, by his own admission, needs to add a bigger goal threat to his game. That aside, I'd be astonished if Knockaert is close to March on any meaningful statistic.

That helps explain. You literally have the worst seat in the entire stadium, with regard to objectively assessing the performance of a wide midfielder. Literally.

Murray spends the entire game, every game, giving out to EVERYBODY.

I usually sit in the NS, but agree with all your points.

March this season has upped his game. As well as his obvious quality, he works tirelessly and effectively for 90 minutes helping his FB and winning countless small battles. Love the player, a first name on the team sheet with Muzza.

Jakeg

Feb 7, 2016
Missed out on Delaney big time imo, he would hvd sorted a lot of the problems we are having at the moment.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Amazed that we are the most accurate crossers in the PL?

I'm not that shocked. March and Gross are both superb crossers of the ball, in part the reason that almost all of our goals are coming from Duffy and Murray.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I think that’s a misconception about Bissouma that he’s not as good at the defensive side because he’s so much better than Stephens going forward but he really can do that part of the game. Watch the Palace game again, he was outstanding defensively. He is so good at nicking the ball off players and he actually averages more tackles and interceptions per game than Stephens.

I just think Propper and Bissouma both have the ability and intelligence to forge a great partnership. If one breaks forward, the other will sit. They both have much better positional awareness than Stephens and are more mobile to get back in to position when necessary.

He was great in the Palace game, and I agree that he's good at nicking the ball, and probably better than Stephens. It's more the positional discipline and decision-making that's the issue with him. See Liverpool away as an example.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
Doubt it, players go where the money is. Barnes admitted he left as Burnley offered him a longer deal.

I wished we'd kept him.

Actually,it might have been a bonus if it kept Pritchard away!Think we will be okay once Izzy is back.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
I'm not that shocked. March and Gross are both superb crossers of the ball, in part the reason that almost all of our goals are coming from Duffy and Murray.

Yes - my post was a bit of a dig really. I have read on here that March can't cross properly, Bong is absolutely useless at crossing the ball, and Gross isn't what he was - hence my 'surprise' at seeing stats that seem to say exactly the opposite!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Yes - my post was a bit of a dig really. I have read on here that March can't cross properly, Bong is absolutely useless at crossing the ball, and Gross isn't what he was - hence my 'surprise' at seeing stats that seem to say exactly the opposite!

Gross hasn't been what he was from open play, both scoring and his movement doesn't seem to have been as effective, but can still cross a mean ball. March has come in and out of form this season but I think Hughton's persistence with him and investment in him as a player will pay off in the long run.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Here is another view that says we are exactly where we should be and that we should be OK.

https://www.football365.com/news/brighton-falling-away-theyre-just-returning-to-the-mean

Much more balanced and accurate article IMO. The 'slump' (despite one or two shitehouse performances like 2H at Fulham) is due in large part to the run of fixtures - as per the article, and our tracker, we've taken more or less what was expected in the last 10 games or so. It looks more like a slump because we were overachieving before that.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Much more balanced and accurate article IMO. The 'slump' (despite one or two shitehouse performances like 2H at Fulham) is due in large part to the run of fixtures - as per the article, and our tracker, we've taken more or less what was expected in the last 10 games or so. It looks more like a slump because we were overachieving before that.

Agreed.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here