Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Reliance on Murray isn't the cause of Brighton's slump

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I'm baffled by Hughton's continued persistence to play Gross every game when the way we are playing clearly isn't working for him/he's out of form.

"If it's broke, why fix it?" appears to be the philosophy.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The middle of the Park was stronger against Watford than Burnley imo, he was shite against Fulham & Burnley kept losing the ball not winning it. We all see things differently I suppose.

No not really, my response is more to do with your assertion that Hughton has an 'annoying need to accommodate Stephens'. I don't think he has any annoying need of the sort, he just thinks he's the best player to do the job - my point was it's hardly a baffling selection.

By all means you don't think Stephens is in form, that he should be dropped, but I don't think that the assertion Hughton goes out of his way to accommodate him is at all true.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
we've needed more firepower for several years

I wouldn't say "several years", unless you mean this season and last season.

2015-16 = 72 goals (top scorers)
2016-17 = 74 goals (4 team scored more)
2017-18 = 34 goals (3 teams scored less)
2018-19 = 28 goals so far (5 teams have scored less)

Our scoring stats in the Championship stand up to anyones, but obviously the PL is a completely different animal. If you're expecting us to be a free-scoring machine in this division, I fear you're going to be in for some disappointment.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
The middle of the Park was stronger against Watford than Burnley imo, he was shite against Fulham & Burnley kept losing the ball not winning it. We all see things differently I suppose.

The difference was only in that although both had keepers who played out of their skin Burnley had players that could capitalise on mistakes that Watford couldnt and Atwell the ref. Nothing to do with strength of midfield.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
I wouldn't say "several years", unless you mean this season and last season.

2015-16 = 72 goals (top scorers)
2016-17 = 74 goals (4 team scored more)
2017-18 = 34 goals (3 teams scored less)
2018-19 = 28 goals so far (5 teams have scored less)

Our scoring stats in the Championship stand up to anyones, but obviously the PL is a completely different animal. If you're expecting us to be a free-scoring machine in this division, I fear you're going to be in for some disappointment.

Just saying that at times in the last few years , at times , we've been down to 1 striker and walking a tightrope if they get banned / injured

Not complaining just making an observation .

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
Nah some lad on here told me that we're all clueless and the current situation is 100% fine and we're better than ever. Stop bedwetting those facts are FAKE NEWS.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Just saying that at times in the last few years , at times , we've been down to 1 striker and walking a tightrope if they get banned / injured

Not complaining just making an observation .

I'd agree to a point. It would certainly be handy if our midfield and wide players could weigh in with a few more goals though.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
AK has played far less minutes and has the same stats as March tells a story..

Which particular 'stats' are you referring to? March, by his own admission, needs to add a bigger goal threat to his game. That aside, I'd be astonished if Knockaert is close to March on any meaningful statistic.

I’m in the front row of the North...

That helps explain. You literally have the worst seat in the entire stadium, with regard to objectively assessing the performance of a wide midfielder. Literally.

Murray spends the game giving out to March because his inability to put a decent ball in the box..

Murray spends the entire game, every game, giving out to EVERYBODY.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
How many premier league goals have come from our midfield this season? I don't know the exact number but it is very few. This is a big problem for us imo.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
I'd agree to a point. It would certainly be handy if our midfield and wide players could weigh in with a few more goals though.

I was watching Leicester at the weekend and a player in the mould of James Maddison looked exactly what we are missing. Does all the dirty work like Stephens but every ball forward was intelligent and released an attacking player into dangerous positions. We are crying out for someone like that to move us from back to front quickly so our attacking players are not always playing against a team who have reset two banks of four behind the ball.

Overall we have goals in our attacking players but lack to creativity in the side to unlock that potential

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
When we beat Man Utd at the start of the season we pressed them high up the pitch and forced errors from them. We also played that way in a lot of home matches last season but it seems like we haven’t employed similar tactics since.

narly101

Feb 16, 2009
London
I was watching Leicester at the weekend and a player in the mould of James Maddison looked exactly what we are missing. Does all the dirty work like Stephens but every ball forward was intelligent and released an attacking player into dangerous positions. We are crying out for someone like that to move us from back to front quickly so our attacking players are not always playing against a team who have reset two banks of four behind the ball.

Overall we have goals in our attacking players but lack to creativity in the side to unlock that potential

Nail on head. We do seem to rely on the cross field ball far too much, rather than driving a forward pass to test their midfield/defence. It also doesn't do us any favours when the movement off the ball from the majority of players is just abysmal. This is supported by the statistic of the ground we're covering this year - much much lower than last year.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Dunk and Duffy must be absolutely knackered through contant heroic body-on-line defending AND contributing more than their fair share of goals. Leaving aside the woeful contribution of goals from any forward that isn't Murray, there's a MASSIVE hole where we used to have a coherent midfield. Fat chance of that lot contributing much in the way of goals, like we used to be able to count on. Sadly it's all looking a bit Championship Ready, if not this season then certainly next season. Major shake-up required. Need to recruit far smarter than at present. Else any notional footballing dynasty will vanish in a puff of smoke.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
How many premier league goals have come from our midfield this season? I don't know the exact number but it is very few. This is a big problem for us imo.

Two. Kayal vs Newcastle, Stephens vs West Ham. Both away from home as it happens. It's a massive improvement on the big fat zero from last season.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
When we beat Man Utd at the start of the season we pressed them high up the pitch and forced errors from them. We also played that way in a lot of home matches last season but it seems like we haven’t employed similar tactics since.

Apparently the data suggests we run a lot less distance per game now. Which could support that.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
That can't be right. Stephens and Propper, they never give the ball awaaaaay.

Perfect example why this is the shittest song we've come up with, and the bar is low...

I thought that song only suggested Stephens 'never gives the ball away'?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Which particular 'stats' are you referring to? March, by his own admission, needs to add a bigger goal threat to his game. That aside, I'd be astonished if Knockaert is close to March on any meaningful statistic.

That helps explain. You literally have the worst seat in the entire stadium, with regard to objectively assessing the performance of a wide midfielder. Literally.

Murray spends the entire game, every game, giving out to EVERYBODY.
Why don’t you just say you have a different opinion :shrug: same assists and goals by AK as March by the way. Regarding my view your seeing the same as the defenders quite easy to spot when the balls lost in the middle, Burnley’s second Stephens had a mare weak tackle no tracking back rose tinted Albion glasses on?

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Why don’t you just say you have a different opinion :shrug: same assists and goals by AK as March by the way.

What? are you trying to say football's a game of opinions? Ridiculous.
and besides, hans kraay fan club has a very good seat in terms of views

Now don't you dare answer him back you blind idiot

Last edited:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here